* [crosstool-ng] Pre-built toolchains for testing in Buildroot
@ 2015-05-15 18:40 Thomas Petazzoni
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-05-15 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN

Hello,

Buildroot is an embedded Linux build system, which is capable of using
external pre-built cross-compilation toolchains. Crosstool-NG
toolchains are supported through this mechanism.

I while back, Yann E. Morin, the former maintainer of Crosstool-NG,
created some pre-built toolchains that the Buildroot project uses to
run some test builds against Crosstool-NG toolchains. This ensures that
people building toolchains with Crosstool-NG will be able to use them
with Buildroot.

Those toolchains are available here:

  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv5-ctng-linux-gnueabi.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv6-ctng-linux-uclibcgnueabi.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv7-ctng-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i486-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i686-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n32-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n64-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mipsel-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng_e500v2-linux-gnuspe.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc64-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
  http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/x86_64-ctng_locales-linux-gnu.tar.xz

However, those toolchains are now one year old, and some of them have
some issues:

 - The uClibc toolchains were built without IPv6 support, and Buildroot
   now requires IPv6 support to be present. Due to this, we had to
   disable the use of all uClibc toolchains from the above list.

   See
   http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot-test/commit/?id=e11a3af5aa56ba7f44aca8e615e5b2222d860dd6

 - The ARM toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR58854, causing
   lttng-tools to fail building.

 - The PowerPC toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR60155, causing a
   build problem with SDL and mpeg2.

 - The MIPS64 toolchain uses a too old glibc version, which lacks
   SYS_getdents64, causing a build failure of Python 3.

 - The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and civetweb (I
   believe due to uClibc issues)

Is there someone in the Crosstool-NG community interested in working
with the Buildroot community to provide more up-to-date pre-built
Crosstool-NG toolchains, and fixing the above issues?

Also, I would strongly advise Crosstool-NG to move away from uClibc,
and use uClibc-ng instead. This project is much more lively, and has
tons of fixes that have never been in a uClibc stable release.

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* Re: [crosstool-ng] Pre-built toolchains for testing in Buildroot
@ 2015-05-15 18:43 ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2015-05-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: crossgcc maillist, Yann E. MORIN

Thomas, all,

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Buildroot is an embedded Linux build system, which is capable of using
> external pre-built cross-compilation toolchains. Crosstool-NG
> toolchains are supported through this mechanism.
>
> I while back, Yann E. Morin, the former maintainer of Crosstool-NG,
> created some pre-built toolchains that the Buildroot project uses to
> run some test builds against Crosstool-NG toolchains. This ensures that
> people building toolchains with Crosstool-NG will be able to use them
> with Buildroot.
>
> Those toolchains are available here:
>
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv5-ctng-linux-gnueabi.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv6-ctng-linux-uclibcgnueabi.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv7-ctng-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i486-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i686-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n32-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n64-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mipsel-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng_e500v2-linux-gnuspe.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc64-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/x86_64-ctng_locales-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>
> However, those toolchains are now one year old, and some of them have
> some issues:
>
>  - The uClibc toolchains were built without IPv6 support, and Buildroot
>    now requires IPv6 support to be present. Due to this, we had to
>    disable the use of all uClibc toolchains from the above list.
>
>    See
>    http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot-test/commit/?id=e11a3af5aa56ba7f44aca8e615e5b2222d860dd6
>
>  - The ARM toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR58854, causing
>    lttng-tools to fail building.
>
>  - The PowerPC toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR60155, causing a
>    build problem with SDL and mpeg2.
>
>  - The MIPS64 toolchain uses a too old glibc version, which lacks
>    SYS_getdents64, causing a build failure of Python 3.
>
>  - The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and civetweb (I
>    believe due to uClibc issues)
>
> Is there someone in the Crosstool-NG community interested in working
> with the Buildroot community to provide more up-to-date pre-built
> Crosstool-NG toolchains, and fixing the above issues?
>
> Also, I would strongly advise Crosstool-NG to move away from uClibc,
> and use uClibc-ng instead. This project is much more lively, and has
> tons of fixes that have never been in a uClibc stable release.

I had no clue about uClibc-ng, I will definitely look into it!

> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Petazzoni
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com
>
> --

I am happy to help out with providing these toolchains.

Get me on irc, and we'll discuss details!

Cheers,

-Bryan

* Re: [crosstool-ng] Pre-built toolchains for testing in Buildroot
@ 2015-05-15 18:53 ` Reinoud Koornstra
From: Reinoud Koornstra @ 2015-05-15 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: crossgcc, Yann E. MORIN

Hi Thomas and Bryan,

You said: "- The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and
civetweb (I
   believe due to uClibc issues)"

I did experience this issue as well with gcc 4.9.2
I filed it earlier and Bryan is aware too, there just isn't a fix yet.
uClibc with gcc 4.9.2 does build for arm.

With gcc 5.1.0 uclibc doesn't build and any platform.
Hence, gcc 4.9.2 and gcc 5.1.0 do not work with uclibc on all
platforms even though you can have this config.

I don't agree on moving away from uclibc all together.
Buildroot supports uclibc AND uclibc-ng.
I think crosstools-ng needs to do the same.
I'm not sure whether there'll ever be another uclibc release, but the
current git tree surely has way more added features and their mailing
list is very active.
At this moment uclibc-ng seems to make more sense, because it keeps up
with the current changes in uclibc and maintains their own branch and
releases new versions.
It surely works for me.
Thanks,

Reinoud.

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Thomas Petazzoni

@ 2015-05-15 19:00   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-05-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reinoud Koornstra; +Cc: crossgcc, Yann E. MORIN

Dear Reinoud Koornstra,

On Fri, 15 May 2015 12:53:16 -0600, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:

> You said: "- The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and
> civetweb (I
>    believe due to uClibc issues)"
>
> I did experience this issue as well with gcc 4.9.2
> I filed it earlier and Bryan is aware too, there just isn't a fix yet.
> uClibc with gcc 4.9.2 does build for arm.

I think you might have misunderstood my report: I did not say that the
toolchain failed to build (since it's a pre-built toolchain!) but that
the toolchain is not capable of building gdb, weston and civetweb.

> I don't agree on moving away from uclibc all together.
> Buildroot supports uclibc AND uclibc-ng.
> I think crosstools-ng needs to do the same.
> I'm not sure whether there'll ever be another uclibc release, but the
> current git tree surely has way more added features and their mailing
> list is very active.

And all those changes in the 'master' branch of uClibc are regularly
merged in uClibc-ng. So basically uClibc-ng is *everything* that uClibc
has, plus much better testing, and regular stable releases.

In Buildroot, we currently support both. Our plan is to use uClibc-ng
as the default uClibc version in Buildroot 2015.08, and if things
continue to go well with uClibc-ng, deprecate old uClibc completely.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2015-05-15 19:02   ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2015-05-15 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reinoud Koornstra; +Cc: Thomas Petazzoni, crossgcc, Yann E. MORIN

Reinoud,

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Reinoud Koornstra
<reinoudkoornstra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas and Bryan,

Please don't top post. ;)

> You said: "- The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and
> civetweb (I
>    believe due to uClibc issues)"
>
> I did experience this issue as well with gcc 4.9.2
> I filed it earlier and Bryan is aware too, there just isn't a fix yet.
> uClibc with gcc 4.9.2 does build for arm.

Correct. But this is only with SSP enabled, iirc.

> With gcc 5.1.0 uclibc doesn't build and any platform.
> Hence, gcc 4.9.2 and gcc 5.1.0 do not work with uclibc on all
> platforms even though you can have this config.

I haven't validated "Any platform".

> I don't agree on moving away from uclibc all together.
> Buildroot supports uclibc AND uclibc-ng.
> I think crosstools-ng needs to do the same.
> I'm not sure whether there'll ever be another uclibc release, but the
> current git tree surely has way more added features and their mailing
> list is very active.

I don't have a horse in this race. Which ever is being more actively
maintained and released (note, uclibc has not made a release in
years!) is what crosstool-ng will (or wont) use.

@ 2015-06-13 14:01 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-06-13 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN

Hello,

On Fri, 15 May 2015 20:40:17 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Is there someone in the Crosstool-NG community interested in working
> with the Buildroot community to provide more up-to-date pre-built
> Crosstool-NG toolchains, and fixing the above issues?

Any updates?

Thanks,

Thomas
--

@ 2015-06-15  3:50   ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2015-06-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: crossgcc, Yann E. MORIN

Thomas,all

On Sat, 2015-06-13 at 16:01 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 15 May 2015 20:40:17 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>
> > Is there someone in the Crosstool-NG community interested in working
> > with the Buildroot community to provide more up-to-date pre-built
> > Crosstool-NG toolchains, and fixing the above issues?
>
> Any updates?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

I'm about to release 1.22.0, which fixes some bugs that were found after
1.21.0. The last step before 1.22.0 is testing/updating the samples.

After I verify they all build correctly, I'll release 1.22.0 and
update/build the toolchains you linked me to.

-Bryan

* Re: [crosstool-ng] Pre-built toolchains for testing in Buildroot
@ 2015-06-15  7:18     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2015-06-15  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan Hundven; +Cc: crossgcc, Yann E. MORIN

Hello,

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 20:50:16 -0700, Bryan Hundven wrote:

> I'm about to release 1.22.0, which fixes some bugs that were found after
> 1.21.0. The last step before 1.22.0 is testing/updating the samples.

Ok.

> After I verify they all build correctly, I'll release 1.22.0 and
> update/build the toolchains you linked me to.

Ok, maybe we should discuss a little bit which toolchains you are going
to produce. Especially, discussing the uClibc one. We are moving to
uClibc-ng as the default, and we now require largefile and IPv6 support
in all toolchains. So make sure you generate uClibc toolchains with the
appropriate configuration.

Thanks a lot!

Thomas
--