* Re: quik question - I apologize for the interruption
       [not found] <1519404370.21789.15.camel@gmail.com>
@ 2018-02-23 17:12 ` Alexey Neyman
From: Alexey Neyman @ 2018-02-23 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Main; +Cc: Bill Main, crossgcc maillist

First, do not write to me personally. I will not respond to private
questions like that - if there is an issue that needs explanation, a
question on a archived  mailing list will benefit all of the community,
not just you.

As to your question: with any question regarding configure, the
config.log should be provided. That's the basic rule for any
configure-based project so you should've been aware of that.

For both make and libtool, configure tries to check their versions by
invoking them with --version and then trying to match the following regexps:

^GNU Make (3.[89][[:digit:]]|[4-9])
\(GNU libtool.*\)
(2[[:digit:]]*\.|1\.6[[:digit:]]*\.|1\.5\.[2-9][[:digit:]]+)

So:
- Ensure that the versions of make/libtool you've installed are
available in the $PATH (and not preceded in $PATH by some outdated
version, e.g. in your $HOME/bin).
- See what your `make --version` and `libtool --version` print and see
if it matches the regexps above.

Regards,
Alexey.

As to thisconfigure checks for certain tools by running
On 02/23/2018 08:46 AM, William Main wrote:
> Dear Alexey,
>       I am new to YOCTO but experienced in other emddeded systems. I am
> following recipes in a book published in June 2017 by Chris Symmonds
> "Mastering Embedded Linux Programming" and am stuck on pg 29 which is
> frustrating.
>
>   I have become stuck for two days now on the error show below even
> though I have confirmed the two files showing issues are present and
> installed.
>

> Setting up libtool (2.4.6-0.1)  << this is what is installed
>
> $ sudo apt-get install make
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> make is already the newest version (4.1-6).  << definitely installed
> make set to manually installed.
>
> git clone https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng.git
>      lots of output and succeeded
> cd crosstool-ng
> git checkout crosstool-ng-1.22.0
>      lots of output and succeeded
> $ ./bootstrap
> succeeded
> then the issue begins
>
> william@NEMT-Yocto:~/crosstool-ng$ ./configure --enable-local
>          lots of output that looks ok then --
> checking for make 3.81... no
> checking for GNU libtool >= 1.5.26... no
> configure: error: could not find GNU libtool >= 1.5.26
>

> system details:
> Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
> Release:	16.04
> Codename:	xenial
>
> crosstool-ng-1.22.0
>
> can you either shed some light on what is going wrong or point me to
> where I might find help?
>
> Again, I apologize for the interruption.
>
> Bill Main
> wmain@gis.net

* Re: ./configure --enable-local
@ 2018-02-23 18:07   ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2018-02-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wmain, William Main; +Cc: crossgcc

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 09:12:23AM -0800, Alexey Neyman wrote:
> On 02/23/2018 08:46 AM, William Main wrote:
> >Dear Alexey,
> >      I am new to YOCTO but experienced in other emddeded systems. I am
> >following recipes in a book published in June 2017 by Chris Symmonds
> >"Mastering Embedded Linux Programming" and am stuck on pg 29 which is
> >frustrating.
> >  I have become stuck for two days now on the error show below even
> >though I have confirmed the two files showing issues are present and
> >installed.
> >

> >Setting up libtool (2.4.6-0.1)  << this is what is installed
> >
> >$ sudo apt-get install make
> >Reading package lists... Done
> >Building dependency tree
> >Reading state information... Done
> >make is already the newest version (4.1-6).  << definitely installed
> >make set to manually installed.
> >
> >git clone https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng.git
> >     lots of output and succeeded
> >cd crosstool-ng
> >git checkout crosstool-ng-1.22.0
> >     lots of output and succeeded
> >$ ./bootstrap
> >succeeded
> >then the issue begins
> >
> >william@NEMT-Yocto:~/crosstool-ng$ ./configure --enable-local
> >         lots of output that looks ok then --
> >checking for make 3.81... no
> >checking for GNU libtool >= 1.5.26... no
> >configure: error: could not find GNU libtool >= 1.5.26
> >

> >system details:
> >Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
> >Release:	16.04
> >Codename:	xenial
> >
> >crosstool-ng-1.22.0
> >
> >can you either shed some light on what is going wrong or point me to
> >where I might find help?
> >
> >Again, I apologize for the interruption.
> >
> >Bill Main
> >wmain@gis.net
> >

> First, do not write to me personally. I will not respond to private
> questions like that - if there is an issue that needs explanation, a
> question on a archived  mailing list will benefit all of the
> community, not just you.
>
> As to your question: with any question regarding configure, the
> config.log should be provided. That's the basic rule for any
> configure-based project so you should've been aware of that.
>
> For both make and libtool, configure tries to check their versions
> by invoking them with --version and then trying to match the
> following regexps:
>
> ^GNU Make (3.[89][[:digit:]]|[4-9])
> \(GNU libtool.*\)
> (2[[:digit:]]*\.|1\.6[[:digit:]]*\.|1\.5\.[2-9][[:digit:]]+)
>
> So:
> - Ensure that the versions of make/libtool you've installed are
> available in the $PATH (and not preceded in $PATH by some outdated
> version, e.g. in your $HOME/bin).
> - See what your `make --version` and `libtool --version` print and
> see if it matches the regexps above.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey.

A `reply-to-all` will  include me, I'll forward the message to crossgcc mailinglist.

Much better would be being subscribed to this mailinglist yourself.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven

* Re: ./configure --enable-local
@ 2018-02-23 20:09     ` William Main
From: William Main @ 2018-02-23 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Stappers, wmain; +Cc: crossgcc

Thank you, Geert and Alexey,
    The libtool problem is solved thanks to your help and process of
elimination and make file "no" was not an issue just a note as to which
version of make is loaded.

    The problem was a missing step in the ubuntu OS prep (I started
with a bare machine install).

sudo apt-get install libtool-bin

was required before things worked (it did take a while to figure out
the -bin part of the name)

Again, thanks for bearing with me on this one. It is the first time in
all my years I needed to use the mail list help.

Bill

* Re: ./configure --enable-local
@ 2018-02-23 21:08       ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2018-02-23 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 03:09:02PM -0500, William Main wrote:
> [...]
> > following regexps:
> >
> > ^GNU Make (3.[89][[:digit:]]|[4-9])
> > \(GNU libtool.*\)
> > (2[[:digit:]]*\.|1\.6[[:digit:]]*\.|1\.5\.[2-9][[:digit:]]+)
> >
> > So:
> > - Ensure that the versions of make/libtool you've installed are
> > available in the $PATH (and not preceded in $PATH by some outdated
> > version, e.g. in your $HOME/bin).
> > - See what your `make --version` and `libtool --version` print and
> > see if it matches the regexps above.
> >

>     The libtool problem is solved thanks to your help and process of
> elimination and make file "no" was not an issue just a note as to which
> version of make is loaded.
>
>     The problem was a missing step in the ubuntu OS prep (I started
> with a bare machine install).
>
> sudo apt-get install libtool-bin
>
> was required before things worked (it did take a while to figure out

Is the -bin also in the book? Needs the book author be informed??

> Again, thanks for bearing with me on this one. It is the first time in
> all my years I needed to use the mail list help.

You are welcome. Thanks for replying below the text. Archive readers
do benefit most from it. Search engines bring those readers.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven