* CYGWIN To Solaris question
       [not found]     ` <200102010716.IAA11153@forint.cs.tu-berlin.de>
@ 2001-02-02 21:52       ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Kunegis, crossgcc

Jerome,

I'm pretty new to all this UNIX stuff. I'm using cygwin and trying to
recompile gcc for target platform sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1. Gcc version # is
2-95.2. This is the error I'm receiving:

$./configure --target=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 --with-header=/cygdrive/c/cygwi
n/
c-2.95.2-6/gcc/newlib/libc/include

THAT WORKED !

$  make install LANGUAGES="c c++"

./libgcc2.c:41: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
./libgcc2.c:42: unistd.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/cygwin/gcc-2.95.2-6/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

THIS DID NOT !

Any idea ? I think that I need something called header files from my solaris
box. Do you have any idea where those files are located and where should I
put them on my cygwin box.
Any information would be really appreciate. Thanks.

From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-02-02 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: crossgcc

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:

> I'm pretty new to all this UNIX stuff. I'm using cygwin and trying to
> recompile gcc for target platform sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1. Gcc version # is
> 2-95.2. This is the error I'm receiving:

[ ... errors snipped ... ]

I quite recently sent a note to crossgcc about my HOWTO on cross-compiling
from Cygwin to Linux. Most of the issues there apply to Solaris as well.

See:

http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/cygwin-to-linux-cross-howto.txt

Regards,
Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-02 22:59           ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-02 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: crossgcc

Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm only
VB programmer... :)

The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The system
I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When I go
to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:

"cp: ./lib/libsocket.so.1_v2: File access only allowed via stat syscall "

It looks like I do not have permissions to copy those files.

Is there any way to create those target runtime ? You have mention that
there is a way to build glibc2 using cross-tools. I do not even know what
glibc2 is... :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty new to all this UNIX stuff. I'm using cygwin and trying to
> > recompile gcc for target platform sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1. Gcc version #
is
> > 2-95.2. This is the error I'm receiving:
>
> [ ... errors snipped ... ]
>
> I quite recently sent a note to crossgcc about my HOWTO on cross-compiling
> from Cygwin to Linux. Most of the issues there apply to Solaris as well.
>
> See:

http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/cygwin-to-linux-cross-
howto.txt

> Regards,
> Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-02 23:06             ` Mumit Khan
                                 ` (3 more replies)
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-02-02 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: crossgcc

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:

> Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm only
> VB programmer... :)

We all have to start somewhere ...

> The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The system
> I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When I go
> to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:

Step 2 is crucial, and you have to somehow get the Solaris runtime to be
able to create Solaris binaries. There's no way of getting around it,
sorry.

I don't know what VDE is, and I really don't think it matters, at least in
so far as putting together the cross compiler.

> "cp: ./lib/libsocket.so.1_v2: File access only allowed via stat syscall "
>
> It looks like I do not have permissions to copy those files.

Then just ignore it. 2.5.1 is *really really* old, and pretty much of an
useless operating system by now. Use 2.8, and if you can't, at least use
2.7.

> Is there any way to create those target runtime ? You have mention that
> there is a way to build glibc2 using cross-tools. I do not even know what
> glibc2 is... :)

glibc2 is the GNU C Library, currently targeted for a variety of Linux/GNU
ports such as x86, sparc, alpha, etc and other GNU systems such as Hurd.
Not an issue for Solaris users. There are ports of glibc2 to non-GNU
systems such as x86-windows and a probably a bunch of others that I know
nothing about as well.

Regards,
Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-02 23:28               ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
                                 ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-02 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: crossgcc

VDE is Virtual Domain Environment and it is used by my web provider. I can
not change it to Solaris 2.7 or 2.8 (But yes, I can always change provider
:))). I'm trying to compile c program, I can use as a cgi for my web.

    I'm sorry for this trivial question. When you said I need to get runtime
for Solaris, what files and from which directory exactly on the Solaris
machine I need to copy to my Cygwin machine and where should I place them ?

    Is there any place on the net I can get those runtimes for Solaris ?
Like you said it is a pretty old system and I could not find it on the Sun
website.

Thanks again for your help.

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm
only
> > VB programmer... :)
>
> We all have to start somewhere ...
>
> > The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The
system
> > I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When I
go
> > to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:
>
> Step 2 is crucial, and you have to somehow get the Solaris runtime to be
> able to create Solaris binaries. There's no way of getting around it,
> sorry.
>
> I don't know what VDE is, and I really don't think it matters, at least in
> so far as putting together the cross compiler.
>
> > "cp: ./lib/libsocket.so.1_v2: File access only allowed via stat syscall
"

> > It looks like I do not have permissions to copy those files.
>
> Then just ignore it. 2.5.1 is *really really* old, and pretty much of an
> useless operating system by now. Use 2.8, and if you can't, at least use
> 2.7.
>
> > Is there any way to create those target runtime ? You have mention that
> > there is a way to build glibc2 using cross-tools. I do not even know
what
> > glibc2 is... :)
>
> glibc2 is the GNU C Library, currently targeted for a variety of Linux/GNU
> ports such as x86, sparc, alpha, etc and other GNU systems such as Hurd.
> Not an issue for Solaris users. There are ports of glibc2 to non-GNU
> systems such as x86-windows and a probably a bunch of others that I know
> nothing about as well.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-02-03  0:02               ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-03  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: crossgcc

It looks like I have some progress here. After executing:

$ ./configure --target=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 --with-newlib
and
$ make install LANGUAGES="c c++"

I got this:

"In file included from ./config/sparc/gmon-sol2.c:39:
system.h:32: stdio.h: No such file or directory
system.h:64: ctype.h: No such file or directory
system.h:124: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
system.h:125: errno.h: No such file or directory
system.h:132: string.h: No such file or directory
system.h:133: strings.h: No such file or directory
system.h:145: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
system.h:149: unistd.h: No such file or directory
system.h:153: sys/param.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ./config/sparc/gmon-sol2.c:39:
system.h:189: sys/time.h: No such file or directory
system.h:190: time.h: No such file or directory
system.h:202: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
system.h:237: sys/wait.h: No such file or directory
system.h:428: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [gmon.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/cygwin/gcc-2.95.2-6/gcc'
make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2

However after trying:

$ make all

I got a different message:

"In file included from gthr-default.h:1,
                 from gthr.h:98,
                 from ./libgcc2.c:3039:
gthr-posix.h:37: pthread.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/cygwin/gcc-2.95.2-6/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2"

Any idea ? I'm confused. Is it possible that the problem is that I need to
specyfy --prefix parameter while running config ? I'm not sure what it does.

Thanks again for your kindly help and sorry to bother you so much, but it
looks like you are the only person who can help.

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm
only
> > VB programmer... :)
>
> We all have to start somewhere ...
>
> > The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The
system
> > I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When I
go
> > to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:
>
> Step 2 is crucial, and you have to somehow get the Solaris runtime to be
> able to create Solaris binaries. There's no way of getting around it,
> sorry.
>
> I don't know what VDE is, and I really don't think it matters, at least in
> so far as putting together the cross compiler.
>
> > "cp: ./lib/libsocket.so.1_v2: File access only allowed via stat syscall
"

> > It looks like I do not have permissions to copy those files.
>
> Then just ignore it. 2.5.1 is *really really* old, and pretty much of an
> useless operating system by now. Use 2.8, and if you can't, at least use
> 2.7.
>
> > Is there any way to create those target runtime ? You have mention that
> > there is a way to build glibc2 using cross-tools. I do not even know
what
> > glibc2 is... :)
>
> glibc2 is the GNU C Library, currently targeted for a variety of Linux/GNU
> ports such as x86, sparc, alpha, etc and other GNU systems such as Hurd.
> Not an issue for Solaris users. There are ports of glibc2 to non-GNU
> systems such as x86-windows and a probably a bunch of others that I know
> nothing about as well.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-03  3:55         ` Jerome Kunegis
From: Jerome Kunegis @ 2001-02-03  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffy; +Cc: crossgcc

Well, in order to compile *for* Solaris, you need the header files
from Solaris.  I don't knopw *where* they must be installed for the
cross-compiler, nor do I know *which* header files you.  However, the
header files are have names ending with `.h' and are located in the
`/usr/include' directory on Unix systems.  I know that if the compiler
is installed on Unix, the GNU C library (glibc) is sometimes also
included, so the right header files might be somewhere in `/usr/gnu'.

A question:  Have you found the binaries?

Bye,
Jérôme.

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-02-03 10:01                 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-03 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: Mumit Khan, crossgcc

On Feb  3, 2001, "Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner" <Raffy@grandmastercorner.com> wrote:

> $ ./configure --target=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 --with-newlib

You're just telling configure to assume it's going to use newlib.
However, there's no support for Solaris in newlib.

You *really*, *really* need the Solaris run-time: libraries and header
files.

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-03 11:11               ` Fabrice Gautier
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-02-03 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner, crossgcc

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 01:06:04 -0600 (CST)
Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm only
> > VB programmer... :)
>
> We all have to start somewhere ...
>
> > The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The system
> > I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When I go
> > to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:
>
> Step 2 is crucial, and you have to somehow get the Solaris runtime to be
> able to create Solaris binaries. There's no way of getting around it,
> sorry.

I beg to disagre...

At least for linux, I managed to do it without the runtime. I had to
configure with --with-newlib and to do "make all-gcc" and "make
install-gcc" instead of "make" and "make install"

Eventually it seems to work as well when I just created the missing
header files as empty.

May not apply to Solaris though.

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-03 11:26                 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-02-03 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> I beg to disagre...
>
> At least for linux, I managed to do it without the runtime. I had to
> configure with --with-newlib and to do "make all-gcc" and "make
> install-gcc" instead of "make" and "make install"
>
> Eventually it seems to work as well when I just created the missing
> header files as empty.
>
> May not apply to Solaris though.

The original poster wants to create Solaris binaries using this
cross-compiler, so please tell me how you manage to do that without
the target, Solaris in this case, runtime installed? Having a cross
compiler that cannot compile anything other than trivial code and
cannot create binaries is of very limited use, if any.

Let's not add to the confusion.

Regards,
Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-02-03 11:58                 ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-03 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: crossgcc

Hello,

    I tried what you suggested but I got a different error:

In file included from gthr-default.h:1,
                 from gthr.h:98,
                 from ./libgcc2.c:3039:
gthr-posix.h:37: pthread.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/cygwin/gcc-2.95.2-6/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

Where should I place newlib under ...gcc-2.95.2-6 or under gcc-2.95.2-6/gcc
?

Thanks a lot.

> > On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm
only
> > > VB programmer... :)
> >
> > We all have to start somewhere ...
> >
> > > The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The
system
> > > I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When
I go
> > > to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:
> >
> > Step 2 is crucial, and you have to somehow get the Solaris runtime to be
> > able to create Solaris binaries. There's no way of getting around it,
> > sorry.
>
> I beg to disagre...
>
> At least for linux, I managed to do it without the runtime. I had to
> configure with --with-newlib and to do "make all-gcc" and "make
> install-gcc" instead of "make" and "make install"
>
> Eventually it seems to work as well when I just created the missing
> header files as empty.
>
> May not apply to Solaris though.
>

> --
> Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>

------

* Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]
@ 2001-02-04  7:58                   ` Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-02-04  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: crossgcc

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 13:26:04 -0600 (CST)
Mumit Khan <khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Fabrice Gautier wrote:
>
> > I beg to disagre...
> >
> > At least for linux, I managed to do it without the runtime. I had to
> > configure with --with-newlib and to do "make all-gcc" and "make
> > install-gcc" instead of "make" and "make install"
> >
> > Eventually it seems to work as well when I just created the missing
> > header files as empty.
> >
> > May not apply to Solaris though.
>
> The original poster wants to create Solaris binaries using this
> cross-compiler, so please tell me how you manage to do that without
> the target, Solaris in this case, runtime installed?

Sure, I had to build the runtime (ie: linux glibc in my case) in order
to produce any binaries. And sure for that i had to have the glibc
source, so in a way I needed the runtime (in source form).

I realize too that my "solution" may not apply to Solaris (Solaris
libaries sources may not be available, or other problems). And that's
certainly not the simplest way for a Linux target either.

But this is possible, and maybe it is possible to for Solaris. May be it
is even possible to build glibc for Solaris this way.

The point is just than i'm trying to understand things about gcc
internals and I agree it isn't useful for the original poster and for
that I apologize.

(and I still think there is something not clear with the fact that when
I build with --with-newlib, i don't need newlib headers but i need glibc
headers otherwise)

Regards,

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enstfr>

------

* Re: Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]
@ 2001-02-04  8:29                     ` Stefan Petters
From: Stefan Petters @ 2001-02-04  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: Mumit Khan, crossgcc

Hi,

Fabrice Gautier wrote:
> Sure, I had to build the runtime (ie: linux glibc in my case) in order
> to produce any binaries. And sure for that i had to have the glibc
> source, so in a way I needed the runtime (in source form).
Why the heck source???

> (and I still think there is something not clear with the fact that when
> I build with --with-newlib, i don't need newlib headers but i need glibc
> headers otherwise)
obviously you need the headers of the libc (in the original posters
case Solrais libc headers). I don't have the manual here, but I would
suspect, that the switch ``--with-newlib'' simply stands for
``--there-is-a-libc-on-target-and-here-are-the-headers''. The headers
are needed to build libgcc.a. The binary and especially the source of
the libc is IMHO not necessary. The binary is only needed for the
linking stage of the target-executables.

Regards,
	Stefan.

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-02-04 12:21                   ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-04 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: crossgcc

I'm very new to all this GCC stuff. Can you tell me at least what files
exactly I need. Where are those located on my Solaris 2.5.1 box ? Where
should I place them on my Cygwin box ? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm searching web trying to get those include and libs files. It could be
much easier if gcc developers put those lib and header files in gcc package.

One guy here said that you really do not need those include files and you
can even create empty files. What do you think about that ?

Thanks for your help.

> > $ ./configure --target=sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 --with-newlib
>
> You're just telling configure to assume it's going to use newlib.
> However, there's no support for Solaris in newlib.
>
> You *really*, *really* need the Solaris run-time: libraries and header
> files.
>
> --
> Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
> Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
> CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-02-04 12:45                     ` Stefan Petters
From: Stefan Petters @ 2001-02-04 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: Alexandre Oliva, crossgcc

Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
> I'm very new to all this GCC stuff. Can you tell me at least what files
> exactly I need. Where are those located on my Solaris 2.5.1 box ? Where
> should I place them on my Cygwin box ? Thanks in advance for your help.
Usually you find the libc-includes in /usr/include or better in the
corresponding libc-Package of Solaris. Place them anywhere on your
Cygwin-Box and add
	--with-headers=../where/your/headers/are/include/
to your configure call. The binaries should be /usr/lib/libc.a .
The libc.a you have to place in that way, that the linker will find them
(You don't need the libc.a to build gcc or libgcc.a but to create
the executables for Solaris with your crosscompiling tookit.)

> I'm searching web trying to get those include and libs files. It could be
> much easier if gcc developers put those lib and header files in gcc package.
Since they're different for the operating systems this would be a lot to
do. (alwas keeping track with all OSes.

> One guy here said that you really do not need those include files and you
> can even create empty files. What do you think about that ?
I would assume it a bad idea. libgcc should build on top of libc. You
can create a bare bones compiler, but this knows nothing of the target
system (Especially not what it can use and what not.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
	Stefan.

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-02-04 13:00                     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-02-04 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:

> I'm very new to all this GCC stuff. Can you tell me at least what files
> exactly I need. Where are those located on my Solaris 2.5.1 box ? Where
> should I place them on my Cygwin box ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's what you'll need:

includes  : everything under /usr/include
libraries : everything under /lib, and possibly quite a few things from
/usr/lib.

You can trim the list down later on when you gain experience and know
the minimal set, especially for the libraries.

Follow the link I had provided for building Cross compiler for Linux on
Cygwin, which has plenty of information as to where you should place them.
You can alternatively use --with-headers and --with-libs options, but
that's not necessary if place these headers and libraries in the correct
spot in the first place ($tooldir/sys-include and $tooldir/lib).

> I'm searching web trying to get those include and libs files. It could be
> much easier if gcc developers put those lib and header files in gcc package.

Perhaps you don't realize the Solaris is not a free (in the free software
sense) operating system, and Sun's license prohibits re-distributing these
headers and libraries (perhaps even to those who have a valid license,
I haven't read the end user license agreement details). You can get a
zero cost Solaris binary license from + media for US$75, check
http://www.sun.com/ for details. Anybody who will upload these headers and
libraries or send those to you will be violating the license agreement.

Until you get the Solaris operating system in some manner, there is little
you can do towards having a functional Cygwin->Solaris cross development
environment.

> One guy here said that you really do not need those include files and you
> can even create empty files. What do you think about that ?

That was not correct, and he retracted in a later post.

Regards,
Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-02-04 14:28                       ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner
From: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner @ 2001-02-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Petters; +Cc: crossgcc

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I found those libraries at
http://www.sunfreeware.com/solaris_2.5_list.html#gcc2951 :

1)  libstdc++-2.8.1.-local.gz. GNU libstdc++, the C++ library required by
the GNU C++ compiler 2.8.1, g++. Installs in /usr/local.

 Is this the one I need ? After unziping the first one I got
libstdc++-2.8.1-local, one big file. I think maybe it is the installation of
the lib.a, necessary to compile my code for Solaris . Do you know how to
unzip it on my Cygwin machine ?

2) libstdc++-2.8.1.tar.gz   Source Code.

This looks like the source code for the first one. Is this the one I need ?
I gess those are the includes necessary to build my gcc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

> > I'm very new to all this GCC stuff. Can you tell me at least what files
> > exactly I need. Where are those located on my Solaris 2.5.1 box ? Where
> > should I place them on my Cygwin box ? Thanks in advance for your help.
> Usually you find the libc-includes in /usr/include or better in the
> corresponding libc-Package of Solaris. Place them anywhere on your
> Cygwin-Box and add
> --with-headers=../where/your/headers/are/include/
> to your configure call. The binaries should be /usr/lib/libc.a .
> The libc.a you have to place in that way, that the linker will find them
> (You don't need the libc.a to build gcc or libgcc.a but to create
> the executables for Solaris with your crosscompiling tookit.)
>
> > I'm searching web trying to get those include and libs files. It could
be
> > much easier if gcc developers put those lib and header files in gcc
package.
> Since they're different for the operating systems this would be a lot to
> do. (alwas keeping track with all OSes.
>
> > One guy here said that you really do not need those include files and
you
> > can even create empty files. What do you think about that ?
> I would assume it a bad idea. libgcc should build on top of libc. You
> can create a bare bones compiler, but this knows nothing of the target
> system (Especially not what it can use and what not.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan.
> --
> Dipl.-Ing. Stefan M. Petters                   http://www.rcs.ei.tum.de
> Institute for Real-Time Computersystems (RCS)      fon +49/89-289-23556
> Technische Universitaet Muenchen, D-80290 Muenchen fax +49/89-289-23555

------

* Re: Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]
@ 2001-02-05  4:05                       ` Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-02-05  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Petters; +Cc: crossgcc

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:29:43 +0100
Stefan Petters <petters@lpr.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Fabrice Gautier wrote:
> > Sure, I had to build the runtime (ie: linux glibc in my case) in order
> > to produce any binaries. And sure for that i had to have the glibc
> > source, so in a way I needed the runtime (in source form).
> Why the heck source???

To build glibc you need the source.
I needed glibc only after building my cross gcc.

> > (and I still think there is something not clear with the fact that when
> > I build with --with-newlib, i don't need newlib headers but i need glibc
> > headers otherwise)
> obviously you need the headers of the libc (in the original posters
> case Solrais libc headers). I don't have the manual here, but I would
> suspect, that the switch ``--with-newlib'' simply stands for
> ``--there-is-a-libc-on-target-and-here-are-the-headers''.

I think this is rather the contrary: there are some things like
"#ifndef inhibit_libc"  aroud some includes directive so that if you
used --with-newlib you don't need those headers.

> The headers
> are needed to build libgcc.a.

Why? Which libc functions does libgcc uses? I've seen some code about
exception handling that used libc functions, but I thought this was only
for C++. I asked some uestion about that on gcc-help list or gcc
newsgroup but didn't get much.

And does the gcc compiler driver needs header? And for what?

(But I will probably find all I want to know in the sources anyway, this
is something long to read though)

--

@ 2001-02-05  7:54                         ` Stefan Petters
From: Stefan Petters @ 2001-02-05  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: Stefan Petters, crossgcc

hi,

Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I found those libraries at
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/solaris_2.5_list.html#gcc2951 :
>
> 1)  libstdc++-2.8.1.-local.gz. GNU libstdc++, the C++ library required by
> the GNU C++ compiler 2.8.1, g++. Installs in /usr/local.
>
>  Is this the one I need ?
See below.
> After unziping the first one I got
> libstdc++-2.8.1-local, one big file. I think maybe it is the installation of
> the lib.a, necessary to compile my code for Solaris .
> Do you know how to
> unzip it on my Cygwin machine ?
You need a gnu unzip (but see below first)

> 2) libstdc++-2.8.1.tar.gz   Source Code.
>
> This looks like the source code for the first one. Is this the one I need ?
> I gess those are the includes necessary to build my gcc.
Not quite. These are the includes to libstdc++ (a standard C++ lib, as
the name suggests). You would either need glibc headers and binary or
original Solaris libc headers and binary. Try glibc first. Should be
easy to get. Start with the source code. Use the includes first as
stated in my previous post and build libc when you've obtained your
cross-compiler. It may be necessary to do the steps in the following
order.
	1. unpack glibc
	2. configure glibc, regarding the target and crosscompiler (which is
	not there at the moment.)
	3. unpack gcc
	4. configure gcc (target, headers)
	5. make and install gcc
	6. make and install glibc

When compiling for the target you will need the libc.a and build
everything without shared objects. I would see these things as next
steps, when you have the static build of software working.

Regards,
	Stefan.

* Cross build without target runtime [Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question]
@ 2001-04-01  0:00                     ` Fabrice Gautier
From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: crossgcc

@ 2001-04-01  0:00           ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: crossgcc

@ 2001-04-01  0:00                 ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your kindly response. I'm really pulling my hair out... I'm
only
> > VB programmer... :)
>
> We all have to start somewhere ...
>
> > The problem is with step 2. I can not get those Solaris runtime. The
system
> > I'm using is called VDE and it is compatible with Solaris 2.5.1. When I
go
> > to /usr/lib and try to copy those files I get:
>
> Step 2 is crucial, and you have to somehow get the Solaris runtime to be
> able to create Solaris binaries. There's no way of getting around it,
> sorry.
>
> I don't know what VDE is, and I really don't think it matters, at least in
> so far as putting together the cross compiler.
>
> > "cp: ./lib/libsocket.so.1_v2: File access only allowed via stat syscall
"

> > It looks like I do not have permissions to copy those files.
>
> Then just ignore it. 2.5.1 is *really really* old, and pretty much of an
> useless operating system by now. Use 2.8, and if you can't, at least use
> 2.7.
>
> > Is there any way to create those target runtime ? You have mention that
> > there is a way to build glibc2 using cross-tools. I do not even know
what
> > glibc2 is... :)
>
> glibc2 is the GNU C Library, currently targeted for a variety of Linux/GNU
> ports such as x86, sparc, alpha, etc and other GNU systems such as Hurd.
> Not an issue for Solaris users. There are ports of glibc2 to non-GNU
> systems such as x86-windows and a probably a bunch of others that I know
> nothing about as well.
>
> Regards,
> Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-04-01  0:00                       ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

@ 2001-04-01  0:00           ` Jerome Kunegis
From: Jerome Kunegis @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffy; +Cc: crossgcc

@ 2001-04-01  0:00                   ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: Mumit Khan, crossgcc

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
@ 2001-04-01  0:00             ` Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty new to all this UNIX stuff. I'm using cygwin and trying to
> > recompile gcc for target platform sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1. Gcc version #
is
> > 2-95.2. This is the error I'm receiving:
>
> [ ... errors snipped ... ]
>
> I quite recently sent a note to crossgcc about my HOWTO on cross-compiling
> from Cygwin to Linux. Most of the issues there apply to Solaris as well.
>
> See:

http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/cygwin-to-linux-cross-
howto.txt

> Regards,
> Mumit

------

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question-progress
@ 2001-04-01  0:00                       ` Stefan Petters
From: Stefan Petters @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: Alexandre Oliva, crossgcc

Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
> I'm very new to all this GCC stuff. Can you tell me at least what files
> exactly I need. Where are those located on my Solaris 2.5.1 box ? Where
> should I place them on my Cygwin box ? Thanks in advance for your help.
Usually you find the libc-includes in /usr/include or better in the
corresponding libc-Package of Solaris. Place them anywhere on your
Cygwin-Box and add
	--with-headers=../where/your/headers/are/include/
to your configure call. The binaries should be /usr/lib/libc.a .
The libc.a you have to place in that way, that the linker will find them
(You don't need the libc.a to build gcc or libgcc.a but to create
the executables for Solaris with your crosscompiling tookit.)

> I'm searching web trying to get those include and libs files. It could be
> much easier if gcc developers put those lib and header files in gcc package.
Since they're different for the operating systems this would be a lot to
do. (alwas keeping track with all OSes.

> One guy here said that you really do not need those include files and you
> can even create empty files. What do you think about that ?
I would assume it a bad idea. libgcc should build on top of libc. You
can create a bare bones compiler, but this knows nothing of the target
system (Especially not what it can use and what not.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
	Stefan.

* Re: CYGWIN To Solaris question
                                 ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-04-01  0:00               ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: crossgcc

From: Fabrice Gautier @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Petters; +Cc: crossgcc

------

From: Stefan Petters @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner; +Cc: Stefan Petters, crossgcc

hi,

Rafal Furdzik - GM Corner wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I found those libraries at
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/solaris_2.5_list.html#gcc2951 :
>
> 1)  libstdc++-2.8.1.-local.gz. GNU libstdc++, the C++ library required by
> the GNU C++ compiler 2.8.1, g++. Installs in /usr/local.
>
>  Is this the one I need ?
See below.

From: Stefan Petters @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Gautier; +Cc: Mumit Khan, crossgcc