* Config for i686 with options available in menuconfig
@ 2009-03-31  0:07 Rico Castelo
From: Rico Castelo @ 2009-03-31  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yann.morin.1998; +Cc: crossgcc

I have a .config file to submit for i686.  This .config differs from the one already posted because it has options actually available through menuconfig.

I needed a i686 toolchain built.  I also needed to build a toolchain with the same options for ARM.  I found the config given on the website did not meet these requirements.  Kernel 2.6.28.2 was not an option in the menuconfig and when i  used it anyways, i found there was no "ports addon", which i needed for ARM.  A common error i found was related to "[ALL  ]    pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c: Assembler messages: [ALL  ]    pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c:52: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'"  With the helpful posts given on the mailing list i found that -O2 needed to be included in the build to successfully build an i686 toolchain.  All options included with the config are options that can be chosen from menuconfig.  I hope this helps others getting an i686 toolchain.
I did notice one error, but it continued to compile:
[INFO ]  =================================================================
[INFO ]  Installing final compiler
[ERROR]    libtool.m4: error: problem compiling FC test program
[INFO ]  Installing final compiler: done in 767.64s (at 64:32)
[INFO ]  =================================================================

Linux 2.6.27.6
Binutil 2.19
gcc 4.3.2
glibc 2.7
nptl
hardware float
C, C++ ( i didn't need java or fortran, sorry)

The only testing i have done so far with the toolchain is a helloworld using c and c++.

Thanks,
Rico

[-- Attachment #2: i686-nptl-linux-gnu --]

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# crosstool-NG version: 1.3.2
# Mon Mar 30 14:16:43 2009
#

#
# Paths and misc options
#

#
# crosstool-NG behavior
#
# CT_OBSOLETE is not set
# CT_EXPERIMENTAL is not set
# CT_DEBUG_CT is not set

#
# Paths
#
CT_LOCAL_TARBALLS_DIR=""
CT_WORK_DIR="${CT_TOP_DIR}/targets"
CT_PREFIX_DIR="${HOME}/x-tools/${CT_TARGET}"
CT_INSTALL_DIR="${CT_PREFIX_DIR}"
# CT_CUSTOM_PATCH is not set
CT_REMOVE_DOCS=y
CT_INSTALL_DIR_RO=y

#
# Downloading
#
# CT_FORCE_DOWNLOAD is not set
# CT_USE_PROXY is not set
CT_PROXY_TYPE="none"
# CT_USE_MIRROR is not set
CT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10
# CT_ONLY_DOWNLOAD is not set

#
# Extracting
#
# CT_FORCE_EXTRACT is not set
CT_OVERIDE_CONFIG_GUESS_SUB=y
# CT_ONLY_EXTRACT is not set

#
# Build behavior
#
CT_PARALLEL_JOBS=1
CT_LOAD=0
CT_NICE=0
CT_USE_PIPES=y
# CT_CONFIG_SHELL_ASH is not set

#
# Logging
#
# CT_LOG_ERROR is not set
# CT_LOG_WARN is not set
CT_LOG_INFO=y
# CT_LOG_EXTRA is not set
# CT_LOG_DEBUG is not set
# CT_LOG_ALL is not set
CT_LOG_LEVEL_MAX="INFO"
# CT_LOG_SEE_TOOLS_WARN is not set
CT_LOG_PROGRESS_BAR=y
CT_LOG_TO_FILE=y
CT_LOG_FILE_COMPRESS=y

#
# Target options
#
CT_ARCH="x86"
# CT_ARCH_64 is not set
CT_ARCH_SUPPORT_ARCH=y
# CT_ARCH_SUPPORT_ABI is not set
CT_ARCH_SUPPORT_CPU=y
CT_ARCH_SUPPORT_TUNE=y
# CT_ARCH_SUPPORT_FPU is not set
# CT_ARCH_SUPPORTS_BOTH_ENDIAN is not set
# CT_ARCH_DEFAULT_BE is not set
# CT_ARCH_DEFAULT_LE is not set
CT_ARCH_ARCH="i686"
CT_ARCH_CPU=""
CT_ARCH_TUNE="pentium4"
CT_ARCH_FLOAT_HW=y
# CT_ARCH_FLOAT_SW is not set
CT_TARGET_CFLAGS="-m32 -O2"
CT_TARGET_LDFLAGS=""

#
# General target options
#
# CT_ARCH_alpha is not set
# CT_ARCH_arm is not set
# CT_ARCH_ia64 is not set
# CT_ARCH_mips is not set
# CT_ARCH_powerpc is not set
# CT_ARCH_sh is not set
# CT_ARCH_x86_64 is not set
CT_ARCH_x86=y

#
# Target optimisations
#

#
# Toolchain options
#

#
# General toolchain options
#
CT_USE_SYSROOT=y
CT_SHARED_LIBS=y
CT_TARGET_VENDOR="unknown"
CT_TARGET_ALIAS_SED_EXPR=""
CT_TARGET_ALIAS=""

#
# Toolchain type
#
# CT_NATIVE is not set
CT_CROSS=y
# CT_CROSS_NATIVE is not set
# CT_CANADIAN is not set
CT_TOOLCHAIN_TYPE="cross"

#
# Build system
#
CT_BUILD=""
CT_BUILD_PREFIX=""
CT_BUILD_SUFFIX=""

#
# Operating System
#
# CT_BARE_METAL is not set
CT_KERNEL="linux"
CT_KERNEL_VERSION="2.6.27.6"
# CT_KERNEL_bare_metal is not set
CT_KERNEL_linux=y
CT_KERNEL_LINUX_INSTALL=y
CT_KERNEL_LINUX_INSTALL_CHECK=y
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_18_8 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_19_7 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_20_21 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_21_7 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_22_19 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_23_17 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_24_7 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_25_20 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_1 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_2 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_3 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_4 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_5 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_6 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_7 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_26_8 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27_1 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27_2 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27_3 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27_4 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27_5 is not set
CT_KERNEL_V_2_6_27_6=y
CT_KERNEL_LINUX_VERBOSITY_0=y
# CT_KERNEL_LINUX_VERBOSITY_1 is not set
# CT_KERNEL_LINUX_VERBOSITY_2 is not set
CT_KERNEL_LINUX_VERBOSE_LEVEL=0
# CT_KERNEL_LINUX_USE_CUSTOM_DIR is not set

#
# GMP and MPFR
#
CT_GMP_MPFR=y
# CT_GMP_MPFR_TARGET is not set
CT_GMP_V_4_2_2=y
# CT_GMP_V_4_2_4 is not set
CT_GMP_VERSION="4.2.2"
CT_GMP_CHECK=y
# CT_MPFR_V_2_3_1 is not set
CT_MPFR_V_2_3_2=y
CT_MPFR_VERSION="2.3.2"
CT_MPFR_CHECK=y

#
# binutils
#
CT_BINUTILS_VERSION="2.19"
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_14 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_15 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_16_1 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_17 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_50_0_4 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_50_0_6 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_50_0_7 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_50_0_8 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_50_0_9 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_90 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_91 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_92 is not set
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_18_93 is not set
CT_BINUTILS_V_2_19=y
# CT_BINUTILS_V_2_19_50_0_1 is not set
CT_BINUTILS_EXTRA_CONFIG=""
CT_BINUTILS_FOR_TARGET=y
CT_BINUTILS_FOR_TARGET_IBERTY=y
CT_BINUTILS_FOR_TARGET_BFD=y

#
# C compiler
#
CT_CC="gcc"
CT_CC_VERSION="4.3.2"
CT_CC_gcc=y
# CT_CC_V_2_95_3 is not set
# CT_CC_V_3_2_3 is not set
# CT_CC_V_3_3_6 is not set
# CT_CC_V_3_4_6 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_0_0 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_0_1 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_0_2 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_0_3 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_0_4 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_1_0 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_1_1 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_1_2 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_2_0 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_2_1 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_2_2 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_2_3 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_2_4 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_3_0 is not set
# CT_CC_V_4_3_1 is not set
CT_CC_V_4_3_2=y
CT_CC_GCC_4_3_or_later=y
CT_CC_CXA_ATEXIT=y
CT_CC_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS_CONFIGURE=y
# CT_CC_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS_USE is not set
# CT_CC_SJLJ_EXCEPTIONS_DONT_USE is not set
CT_CC_CORE_EXTRA_CONFIG=""
CT_CC_EXTRA_CONFIG=""
CT_CC_PKGVERSION="crosstool-NG-${CT_VERSION}"
CT_CC_BUGURL=""
CT_CC_SUPPORT_CXX=y
CT_CC_SUPPORT_FORTRAN=y
CT_CC_SUPPORT_JAVA=y
CT_CC_SUPPORT_ADA=y
CT_CC_SUPPORT_OBJC=y
CT_CC_SUPPORT_OBJCXX=y

#
# Additional supported languages:
#
CT_CC_LANG_CXX=y
# CT_CC_LANG_FORTRAN is not set
# CT_CC_LANG_JAVA is not set
CT_LIBC="glibc"

#
# C-library
#
CT_LIBC_VERSION="2.7"
# CT_LIBC_eglibc is not set
CT_LIBC_glibc=y
# CT_LIBC_uClibc is not set
# CT_LIBC_V_2_3_6 is not set
# CT_LIBC_V_2_5 is not set
# CT_LIBC_V_2_5_1 is not set
# CT_LIBC_V_2_6 is not set
# CT_LIBC_V_2_6_1 is not set
CT_LIBC_V_2_7=y
# CT_LIBC_V_LATEST is not set
# CT_LIBC_V_date is not set

#
# Common C library options
#
CT_LIBC_SUPPORT_NPTL=y
CT_LIBC_SUPPORT_LINUXTHREADS=y
CT_THREADS="nptl"
CT_THREADS_NPTL=y
# CT_THREADS_LINUXTHREADS is not set
# CT_THREADS_NONE is not set

#
# glibc/eglibc common options
#
CT_LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CONFIG=""
CT_LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CFLAGS=""
CT_LIBC_EXTRA_CC_ARGS=""
# CT_LIBC_GLIBC_USE_PORTS is not set
CT_LIBC_ADDONS_LIST=""
# CT_LIBC_GLIBC_KERNEL_VERSION_NONE is not set
CT_LIBC_GLIBC_KERNEL_VERSION_AS_HEADERS=y
# CT_LIBC_GLIBC_KERNEL_VERSION_CHOSEN is not set
CT_LIBC_GLIBC_MIN_KERNEL="2.6.27.6"

#
# Tools facilities
#
CT_TOOL_libelf=y
CT_LIBELF_V_0_8_10=y
CT_LIBELF_VERSION="0.8.10"
# CT_TOOL_sstrip is not set

#
# Debug facilities
#
CT_DEBUG_dmalloc=y
# CT_DMALLOC_V_5_4_3 is not set
CT_DMALLOC_V_5_5_2=y
CT_DMALLOC_VERSION="5.5.2"
CT_DEBUG_duma=y
CT_DUMA_A=y
CT_DUMA_SO=y
# CT_DUMA_V_2_5_1 is not set
# CT_DUMA_V_2_5_8 is not set
# CT_DUMA_V_2_5_12 is not set
CT_DUMA_V_2_5_14=y
CT_DUMA_VERSION="2_5_14"
CT_DEBUG_gdb=y
CT_GDB_CROSS=y
# CT_GDB_CROSS_STATIC is not set
# CT_GDB_NATIVE is not set
CT_GDB_GDBSERVER=y
CT_GDB_GDBSERVER_STATIC=y
# CT_GDB_V_6_4 is not set
# CT_GDB_V_6_5 is not set
# CT_GDB_V_6_6 is not set
# CT_GDB_V_6_7 is not set
# CT_GDB_V_6_7_1 is not set
CT_GDB_V_6_8=y
# CT_GDB_V_snapshot is not set
CT_GDB_VERSION="6.8"
CT_DEBUG_ltrace=y
# CT_LTRACE_V_0_4 is not set
CT_LTRACE_V_0_5=y
CT_LTRACE_VERSION="0.5"
# CT_DEBUG_strace is not set

* Re: Config for i686 with options available in menuconfig
@ 2009-04-02 21:51 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2009-04-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rico Castelo; +Cc: crossgcc

Hello Rico!
Hello all!

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 02:07:13 Rico Castelo wrote:
> I have a .config file to submit for i686.  This .config differs from the
> one already posted because it has options actually available through
> menuconfig.

Your .config was made with crosstool-NG-1.3.2, which is the 1.3 maintenance
branch. BTW, 1.3.3 was realeased just a few muinutes ago, now.

The table on the site is built from the /trunk, which is the main
development branch. Thus, you'll see more options, or more advanced
versions there than what you find in the 1.3 branch.

If you need those new versions/features, give a try to /trunk.

> I needed a i686 toolchain built.  I also needed to build a toolchain with
> the same options for ARM.

What do you mean? Using the same tools versions?

> I found the config given on the website did not meet these requirements.
> Kernel 2.6.28.2 was not an option in the menuconfig

See above: table comes from /trunk.

> and when i  used it anyways, i found there was no "ports addon", which i
> needed for ARM.

Waht glibc version? For glibc-2.8 and 2.9, no ports addon was officialy
released, and must be retrieved from CVS. There was no clean support for
that in the 1.3 series, but /trunk has all that is needed, now.

> A common error i found was related to
> [ALL  ]    pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c: Assembler messages:
> [ALL  ]    pthread_rwlock_tryrdlock.c:52: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `mov'
> With the helpful posts given on the mailing list i found that -O2 needed
> to be included in the build to successfully build an i686 toolchain.

> I hope this helps others getting an i686 toolchain.

Yes, thank you!

> I did notice one error, but it continued to compile:
> [INFO ]  =================================================================
> [INFO ]  Installing final compiler
> [ERROR]    libtool.m4: error: problem compiling FC test program

I have come to the conclusion that this is benign: during ./configure, gcc
tries to see if you have a native fortran compiler. But not having one is
not really an error.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |