From: "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr>
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
Cc: Rod Nussbaumer <bomr@triumf.ca>
Subject: Re: Moving toolchain to other host
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:13:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Rod, All,

Here are the explanations you asked :

On Saturday 23 January 2010 18:39:54 Rod Nussbaumer wrote:
> And speaking of directory structures, I am still struggling with the
> nature of such directories. In the documentation, 'overview.txt', I see
> the command:
> export PATH="${PATH}:/your/toolchain/path/bin"
> My toolchain is in the default ${HOME}/x-tools/....
> Within that tree, I can find no less than four 'bin' directories:
>
> ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/bin

The toolchain is instaleld in CT_PREFIX_DIR, which you can set in the
menuconfig. CT_PREFIX_DIR defaults to: ${HOME}/x-tools/${CT_TARGET}  [1]

CT_TARGET is computed, and in your case expands into: i686-nptl-linux-gnu

Which gives the toolchain installation path, which you is what we
give to gcc et al. when calling "./configure --prefix" :
  ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/

The executables are installed in the prefix/bin directory, which is:
  ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/bin

That's what you need to put in the PATH.

> ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/bin

This is internal to gcc/binutils to but /backends/. You should not
meddle in the affairs of gcc/binutils.

The sysroot. See: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html#TOC3

> ${HOME}/x-tools/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/i686-nptl-linux-gnu/debug-root/usr/bin

Beside the toolchain proper (which is essentially made of kernel headers /
binutils / gcc / glibc ), crosstool-NG also builds some debug tools, such
as gdb / dmalloc / strace /... While those are not strictly part of the
toolchain, it's always very interesting to have those when doing X-devel.

Because these are not strictly part of the toolchain, they do not belong
to the sys-root, and I choosed (and that was on purpose) to install them
along-side the sys-root, into the debug-root. Get things from in there
and put on your target. Ready to run. Kinda...

HTH...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

[1] This not necessary the best place the user will want to install the
toolchain, but:
- ${HOME} is a place the user can write to, as compared to other common
  places (/usr/local, /opt...) where the user may not have write access to;
- using a sub-dir will not clutter the user's home, and it's trivial to
  get rid of ( rm -rf ~/x-tools ).
YEM.