* Compiling for old system
@ 2021-05-27 21:03 Davide Viti
From: Davide Viti @ 2021-05-27 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi,
I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system running
kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a windows
machine.

I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits all my needs.
I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but compilation
fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
The config is available at [2]

The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed to enable
the experimental feature and restart the build from the last failure, but
it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds: I've tried
to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills: if anyone
would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do that!

thank you in advance

Davide

[1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
[2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m

* Re: Compiling for old system
@ 2021-05-28 15:18 ` Thomas Fuller
From: Thomas Fuller @ 2021-05-28 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davide Viti; +Cc: crossgcc

Can you use WSL and use your working Linux build there?

On Thu, May 27, 2021, 2:04 PM Davide Viti via crossgcc <
crossgcc@sourceware.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system running
> kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a windows
> machine.
>
> I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits all my
> needs.
> I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but compilation
> fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
> The config is available at [2]
>
> The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed to enable
> the experimental feature and restart the build from the last failure, but
> it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds: I've tried
> to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills: if anyone
> would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do that!
>
> thank you in advance
>
> Davide
>
> [1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
> [2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m
> --

* Re: Compiling for old system
@ 2021-05-28 16:33   ` Bottom Post
From: Bottom Post @ 2021-05-28 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 08:18:33AM -0700, Thomas Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2021, 2:04 PM Davide Viti wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system running
> > kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a windows
> > machine.
> >
> > I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits all my
> > needs.
> > I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but compilation
> > fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
> > The config is available at [2]
> >
> > The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed to enable
> > the experimental feature and restart the build from the last failure, but
> > it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds: I've tried
> > to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills: if anyone
> > would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do that!
> >
> > thank you in advance
> >
> > Davide
> >
> > [1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
> > [2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m
> > --
>
> Can you use WSL and use your working Linux build there?

And make it possible to read in the discussion order.
Reply below previous text.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse

* Re: Compiling for old system
@ 2021-05-28 16:56 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2021-05-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davide Viti, crossgcc

On 27/05/2021 23:03, Davide Viti via crossgcc wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system running
> kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a windows
> machine.
>
> I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits all my needs.
> I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but compilation
> fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
> The config is available at [2]
>
> The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed to enable
> the experimental feature and restart the build from the last failure, but
> it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds: I've tried
> to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills: if anyone
> would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do that!
>
> thank you in advance
>
> Davide
>
> [1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
> [2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m

As an alternative to Cygwin, you could try msys2 / mingw-64.  My
experience is that this can often be a lot faster than Cygwin, and
creates stand-alone programs that feel less "alien" in Windows.
However, it has limitations if you need more accurate POSIX emulation,
such as for fork() calls.  It's worth trying.

You could also install VirtualBox and run the Linux system within a
virtual machine, on the Windows host, if you can't escape from using
Windows on the actual PC.

* Re: Compiling for old system
@ 2021-05-28 21:44     ` zinosat
From: zinosat @ 2021-05-28 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On Fri, 2021-05-28 at 18:33 +0200, Bottom Post wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 08:18:33AM -0700, Thomas Fuller wrote:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2021, 2:04 PM Davide Viti wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system
> > > running
> > > kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a
> > > windows
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits
> > > all my
> > > needs.
> > > I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but
> > > compilation
> > > fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
> > > The config is available at [2]
> > >
> > > The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed
> > > to enable
> > > the experimental feature and restart the build from the last
> > > failure, but
> > > it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds:
> > > I've tried
> > > to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills:
> > > if anyone
> > > would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do
> > > that!
> > >
> > > thank you in advance
> > >
> > > Davide
> > >
> > > [1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
> > > [2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m
> > > --
> >
> > Can you use WSL and use your working Linux build there?

Hi Thomas,
I need a Windows toolchain for a third party tool which is shipped as
an Eclipse plugin on Windows: I haven't really explored possible
options to what the manual says (it talks about cygwin/mingw), so I'll
try to achieve what it says.

I did not know WSL though, and sounds really interesting, so thank you
for the suggestion

regards,
Davide

* Re: Compiling for old system
@ 2021-05-28 21:50   ` zinosat
From: zinosat @ 2021-05-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown, crossgcc

On Fri, 2021-05-28 at 18:56 +0200, David Brown wrote:
> On 27/05/2021 23:03, Davide Viti via crossgcc wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system
> > running
> > kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a
> > windows
> > machine.
> >
> > I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits all
> > my needs.
> > I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but
> > compilation
> > fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
> > The config is available at [2]
> >
> > The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed
> > to enable
> > the experimental feature and restart the build from the last
> > failure, but
> > it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds:
> > I've tried
> > to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills: if
> > anyone
> > would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do that!
> >
> > thank you in advance
> >
> > Davide
> >
> > [1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
> > [2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m
>
> As an alternative to Cygwin, you could try msys2 / mingw-64.  My
> experience is that this can often be a lot faster than Cygwin, and
> creates stand-alone programs that feel less "alien" in Windows.
> However, it has limitations if you need more accurate POSIX
> emulation,
> such as for fork() calls.  It's worth trying.
>
> You could also install VirtualBox and run the Linux system within a
> virtual machine, on the Windows host, if you can't escape from using
> Windows on the actual PC.

Windows, unfortunately, is not an option (I'd happily avoid tyo use
it).
msys2 / mingw-64 could be an option: I've more experience with cygwin,
so I've chosen this solution. Another reaso for choosing cygin is that
I could use an older version which made it possible to build old 1.5.2
crosstool: I don't know if there's an equivalent "time macine" for
msys2 / mingw-64.

My hope, now, is that there's a known fix for the error I stumbled into

thank you
Davide