* cygwin 1.1.7 and cross builds
@ 2001-01-08 10:21 Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2001-01-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc, Ralf Corsepius

Hi,

I am using the current net release of Cygwin to build RTEMS to
target an m68k (ELF format).  When the configure script tries
to see if the cross compiler works, it will execute this
fragment from a configure script:

================
cat > conftest.$ac_ext << EOF

#line 1253 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
EOF
if { (eval echo configure:1258: \"$ac_link\") 1>&5; (eval $ac_link)
2>&5; } &&
est -s conftest${ac_exeext}; then
  ac_cv_prog_cc_works=yes
  # If we can't run a trivial program, we are probably using a cross
compiler.
  if (./conftest; exit) 2>/dev/null; then
=================

Cygwin under WinME/95 passes this test and apparently refuses to run
"./conftest".
Cygwin under WinNT/2000 allows ./conftest to be executed.  Even worse,
this
conftest will execute enough to go into a hard loop which can't be
killed with
<ctl>-C.

I believe that Cygwin should refuse to execute this program.  Is there
any provision for checking a magic number on the executable?

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I can provide the executable if this is desired.

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985

------

* Re: cygwin 1.1.7 and cross builds
@ 2001-01-08 10:37 ` Peter Shoebridge
From: Peter Shoebridge @ 2001-01-08 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joel.sherrill, crossgcc, Ralf Corsepius

Dave Fiddes added a magic number check into a build of Cygwin ages ago. Yes,
NT/2k seems to execute the code without checking the exe and get stuck in a
loop. You can kill the process and configure continues.

Unfortunately, opening the exe file and checking the magic number before
every command is run does slow Cygwin down somewhat.

Peter Shoebridge

http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/
> Want to unsubscribe? Send a note to
crossgcc-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com

------

* Re: cygwin 1.1.7 and cross builds
@ 2001-01-08 16:00   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2001-01-08 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Shoebridge; +Cc: crossgcc, Ralf Corsepius

Peter Shoebridge wrote:

> Dave Fiddes added a magic number check into a build of Cygwin ages ago. Yes,
> NT/2k seems to execute the code without checking the exe and get stuck in a
> loop. You can kill the process and configure continues.

I thought this sounded like the same problem David fixed.

> Unfortunately, opening the exe file and checking the magic number before
> every command is run does slow Cygwin down somewhat.

Of course, locking up REALLY slows things down. :)

I wonder if there is any way to get an official solution to this problem
so it will go away forever.  I would be happy with an environment
variable
to enable/disable this if nothing else.  Then at least configure would
work.

Thanks.

@ 2001-04-01  0:00 ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2001-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)