* C++ using gcc without OS...
@ 2002-07-31  7:41 Lakshminarayanan, Gopi
From: Lakshminarayanan, Gopi @ 2002-07-31  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

This may not be a appropriate question for this group, if you know of any
other group which could address my problem please let me know. I am a
Electrical engineer without much of computer science back ground.

How do i go about using C++ in a Motorola PPC860 based hardware without any
OS ? This would be a bootloader application which checks the ram and jumps
to the application code. The  application is based on vxWorks and C++ code
works great with the vxWorks and the gcc based toolchain.

Is there any book or link to understand this ?

Gopi Lakshminarayanan

--------------------
information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended
recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on
this message is strictly prohibited.

------

* Re: C++ using gcc without OS...
@ 2002-07-31  8:00 ` dank
From: dank @ 2002-07-31  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshminarayanan, Gopi; +Cc: crossgcc

"Lakshminarayanan, Gopi" wrote:

> This may not be a appropriate question for this group, if you know of any
> other group which could address my problem please let me know. I am a
> Electrical engineer without much of computer science back ground.
>
> How do i go about using C++ in a Motorola PPC860 based hardware without any
> OS ? This would be a bootloader application which checks the ram and jumps
> to the application code. The  application is based on vxWorks and C++ code
> works great with the vxWorks and the gcc based toolchain.
>
> Is there any book or link to understand this ?

I've seen it discussed here and on linuxppc-embedded@lists.linuxppc.org.
Use newlib instead of libc.  Not sure what other changes you need.
Check the archives...
- Dan

------

* Re: C++ using gcc without OS...
@ 2002-07-31 18:48   ` Paul Whitfield
From: Paul Whitfield @ 2002-07-31 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Another option is to use a RTOS.

Rtems is a Open source RTOS that includes C++ support using
GCC that supports Power PC.

This may be easier than getting C++ support without a OS,
and as an added bonus you get all the benefits of an
RTOS with a network stack.

htt://www.oarcorp.com

Best regards

Paul Whitfield