From: Remy Bohmer <linux@bohmer.net>
To: "Björn Schneider" <brogon@palandor.net>
Cc: Bart van der Meulen <bartvdrmeulen@gmail.com>, crossgcc@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: using crosstool ng for building win32 hosted cross compiler
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:15:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Björn,

(added CC: Cross-GCC-Mailinglist + Bart van der Meulen)

2009/8/2 Björn Schneider <brogon@palandor.net>:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to ask you, whether you had success in bribing crosstool-ng
> into building win32-runnable crosscompilers?

Well, my colleague (Bart van der Meulen) has been working on it and he
has posted patches for getting this to work.
Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, these patches were ignored by
the mailing-list server, but the crosstool-ng maintainer (Yann E.
MORIN) has received them, and I thought they were part of the latest
mercurial tree already. If not, you could ask Bart to assist you ;-)

> Currently I face the very same problem: I need a cross-compiler for MIPS
> (little endian, softfloat, 'bare-metal') running on Windows.
>    Crosstools-ng won't work in MSYS/MinGW and I have no idea how to get
> Cygwin Make to properly work with MinGW GCC. They just have a quite
> divergent view of how a "symbolic link" has to work.
>    Building completely in Cygwin defies my aim to get rid of the
> cygwin1.dll, which caused me some infuriating trouble if the user has an
> older or newer version of the Cygwin emulation installed. So my last
> resort is to 'simply' cross compile the cross compiler on Linux.
>
> *sigh* why can't it be alike on every system?--The crosscompiler was
> built on my Linux box in about 30 min. (15 configuration & downloads, 15
> compiling). :-/

Well, you want to run it on Windows... Doesn't that explain enough? ;-))))
The current method to build a Windows hosted cross-compiler is to
build it on Linux.

> Anyway, did you have any success?

I did not put much time in it, Bart did an he has it working.

Kind Regards,

Remy