* Sample Questions and s390/s390x status
@ 2009-11-13 13:34 Harold Grovesteen
From: Harold Grovesteen @ 2009-11-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

I have noticed that there are a number of paths in the configuration.
Some I have tailored for my purposes.  What is the expectation with
regards to these settings in the sample configs?  I would prefer to get
this right rather than having to redo the patches to satisfy an
undocumented expectation.

Suggestion for Yann, a section in the overview.txt on what should or
should not be set in the samples with regard to the environment would be
good.  How should the tarball directory or prefix, etc., be set for a
sample to be acceptable.

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday backing out the suggested config
settings.  Each toolchain build takes about 35 minutes on my machine, so
this is time consuming.  The good news is that they run perfectly fine.
TLS was detected.  Threads were properly built.  Default optimization
worked.  Binutils cross tool supports 32 and 64 bit ELFS.  All of the
source is still unpatched, not having applied the supplied patches.  I
have yet to change the variable settings in s390[x].sh as suggested.
That is for this morning.

On the next set of patches:
Yann, it would really be easier for me to submit both architectures and
samples as one patch.  Are you willing to accept these changes that
way?  That would eliminate the need to go through the patch build
exercise multiple times and eliminate the "clean" issue with s390.  Just
asking.

On the glibc configuration issue I first encountered:
So far this has not reappeared.  I supplied a fresh install directory
and it did not happen.  Based upon Mike's input, I suspect it only
happens on a fresh install when there is nothing left over from a
previous build.  There is also no answer to why by glibc patch appeared
to get past the issue.  I am going to try building with an empty target
directory to see if this reproduces the problem.  I really want to be
confident this issue does not hit someone who attempts to build one of
these toolchains with crosstool-ng the first time.

Thanks,
Harold Grovesteen

* Re: Sample Questions and s390/s390x status
@ 2009-11-13 18:15 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2009-11-13 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Harold Grovesteen

Harold,
All,

On Friday 13 November 2009 14:37:36 Harold Grovesteen wrote:
> I have noticed that there are a number of paths in the configuration.
> Some I have tailored for my purposes.  What is the expectation with
> regards to these settings in the sample configs?  I would prefer to get
> this right rather than having to redo the patches to satisfy an
> undocumented expectation.

Normally, when you run "ct-ng saveconfig", a sanity pass is done.
See below as well.

> Suggestion for Yann, a section in the overview.txt on what should or
> should not be set in the samples with regard to the environment would be
> good.  How should the tarball directory or prefix, etc., be set for a
> sample to be acceptable.

OK, that's a good idea. I'll tackle that when I get some time (may be late
in the WE).

> I spent a fair amount of time yesterday backing out the suggested config
> settings.  Each toolchain build takes about 35 minutes on my machine, so
> this is time consuming.  The good news is that they run perfectly fine.
> TLS was detected.  Threads were properly built.  Default optimization
> worked.  Binutils cross tool supports 32 and 64 bit ELFS.

Well, that's all good news! I'm eager to review your next round of
patches! :-)

> All of the
> source is still unpatched, not having applied the supplied patches.

Ha! That's why you direct crosstool-NG to use local patches, and point
it to an empty directory! You want to avoid using patches _at_all_.
It may ask for a config knob, then.

> have yet to change the variable settings in s390[x].sh as suggested.
> That is for this morning.

Coffee break, is it? ;-)

> On the next set of patches:
> Yann, it would really be easier for me to submit both architectures and
> samples as one patch.  Are you willing to accept these changes that
> way?  That would eliminate the need to go through the patch build
> exercise multiple times and eliminate the "clean" issue with s390.  Just
> asking.

OK. Send both arch in a single patch, provided that there only is
arch support code, not any other fix.

> On the glibc configuration issue I first encountered:
> So far this has not reappeared.  I supplied a fresh install directory
> and it did not happen.  Based upon Mike's input, I suspect it only
> happens on a fresh install when there is nothing left over from a
> previous build.  There is also no answer to why by glibc patch appeared
> to get past the issue.  I am going to try building with an empty target
> directory to see if this reproduces the problem.  I really want to be
> confident this issue does not hit someone who attempts to build one of
> these toolchains with crosstool-ng the first time.

Well, that may warrant using the bundled patches. You should give a
try at building your toolchain, using the patches.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.