* crosstool-NG: server status
@ 2009-08-06 18:01 Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2009-08-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hello All!

I'm experiencing a disk failure (*) on the server that hosts crosstool-NG.
The server is now shutdown until I get a new disk back. :-(

In the meantime, the server is hosted in a virtual machine on my main
machine. That should be absolutely transparent, and you shouldn't notice
any difference.

Sorry for the inconvenience... :-(

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

(*) The disk is only 3 months old, and it's been showing bad sectors since
    the second months. I re-did the formating, scanning the full disk for
    bad blocks, but new ones appearred just today. Sigh... Time for a SDD,
    I guess! :-)
YEM.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| --==< ^_^ >==-- `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |
`------------------------------^-------^------------------^--------------------'

* Re: crosstool-NG: server status
@ 2009-08-06 21:49 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2009-08-06 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Le Thu, 6 Aug 2009 20:00:52 +0200,
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> a écrit :

> I'm experiencing a disk failure (*) on the server that hosts
> crosstool-NG. The server is now shutdown until I get a new disk
> back. :-(
>
> In the meantime, the server is hosted in a virtual machine on my main
> machine. That should be absolutely transparent, and you shouldn't
> notice any difference.

What about hosting crosstool-ng on some free software forge, like
Savannah, Gna, or something else ? This way, you wouldn't have to spend
time on system/network administration-related issues.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
consulting, training and support.

* Re: crosstool-NG: server status
@ 2009-08-06 22:48   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2009-08-06 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Thomas Petazzoni

Thomas,
All,

On Thursday 06 August 2009 23:49:06 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> What about hosting crosstool-ng on some free software forge, like
> Savannah, Gna, or something else ? This way, you wouldn't have to spend
> time on system/network administration-related issues.

Well, that's part of the experiment! :-P
And a challenging part, to say the least!

I'd like to be able to be self-hosted, and delegate as less as possible.
Currently, only DNS records are external (on dyndns), and will almost
certainly stay that way for a long time... Andof course I need an ISP.

The most obvious advantages are:
- most important: I learn.
- I'm dependent upon a very few external entities (only ISP and DNS)
- I can customise/update the system at will (software versions...)
- I can grant/veto access at will
- I can run any server I wish (eg. VPN...)

The most obvious drawbacks are:
- availability, but I'm working on that:
  - I have at least two physical machines able to host a copy of the server
    in a virtual machine, should the real server has a fatal HW failure (as
    is the case curently); starting a VM-server is a matter of seconds
  - the server is backed up by a UPS that can sustain a two-hour power
    outtage
  - the machine has one 80GiB disk for the system, and two 500GiB disks,
    one for storing live data, the other one will be acting as a /mirror/
    that gets rsynced every hour, to serve as level-1 backups; both disks
    use a file system different from one to the other
  - OTOH, hot-swap HW is too expensive, so fixing the server would require
    some downtime
- backups, that's being worked on:
  - I have an NSLU2 that I'll setup to do nightly backups onto a dedicated
    500GiB HDD that will serve as level-2 backups
  - I also have a tape drive to store long-term, level-3 backups
- bandwidth: being behind a DSL line limits my uploads to about 1Mibps,
  but that's bearable, crosstool-NG is not that big, and the hg protocol
  is quite efficient
- it's expensive and time-consuming, but I enjoyed it so far! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

@ 2009-11-16  6:53     ` Joachim Nilsson
From: Joachim Nilsson @ 2009-11-16  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: crossgcc

Hmm,

[/me slowly catching up, again...]

about that mirror, how much space does it require?  I could perhaps set
aside some space on ftp://vmlinux.org and an rsync cronjob if you need a
mirror in Sweden.

We could take the details off-list, if you like.

Regards
  /Joachim

@ 2009-11-18 17:15 Oliver Schneider
From: Oliver Schneider @ 2009-11-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi,

I'd also offer some server space (several 100 MiB wouldn't be a problem
at all). If the traffic is not more than a few dozen GiB every months I
won't care.

// Oliver