* Moving toolchain to other host
@ 2010-01-22 23:57 Rod Nussbaumer
From: Rod Nussbaumer @ 2010-01-22 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi all.

Because I have had no end of problems getting ct-ng to build toolchains
on my normally designated development host (RHEL 4.X clone), I have
created a Debian 5.02 host for the sole purpose of running ct-ng. This
seems to work fabulously, so far, and I've been able to generate i686
targeted and ARM targeted toolchains.  Me happy.
Now, the question is, can I move those toolchains over to my RHEL 4.X
&/or RHEL 5.X host(s), in order to compile code to run on embedded
targets? The Redhat boxes are presently running kernels version 2.6.9 &
version 2.68.18. If I build against those kernel versions when I build
the toolchain, does that buy me anything? What IS the upshot of changing
kernel versions when building the toolchains? Can I/should I build a
specific version of the C Library with the toolchains?
Now that I'm thinking about, I guess I would give myself the best chance
by using versions of all compilers, libraries and kernels that match the
versions on the RHEL sort-of target. I suppose that in some sense, I am
making a Canadian cross, bu hoping to cheat and just copy the toolchains
without targeting them to a different host type. Are there general rules
about what object code is runnable on other OS versions?

    ---   rod.