From: Mike Ray <mike@raspberryvi.org>
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: [crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng] bc9ed3: Adds Raspberry Pi 3 sample config
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 15:52:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello Bryan.

I'll see if I can tweak the config myself at the same time.  But because
I'm blind I don't find menuconfig (or other curses apps) all that easy
to use.  Incidentally apologies for top-posting but that's another thing
with not being able to see...and a bit lazy.

But there's plenty of ARM Cortex A53 stuff online so I might be able to
just use one of the other configs to hack it.

Mike

On 03/03/2016 15:19, Bryan Hundven wrote:

>> On Mar 3, 2016, at 4:45 AM, Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mar 2, 2016, at 10:23 PM, Mike Ray <mike@raspberryvi.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Good to know it's not just me being an idiot!  I was hoping to use a
>>> toolchain generated with ct-ng to build a 64-bit root file-system using
>>> buildroot or just using the toolchain with cross-LFS.
>>
>> Indeed! That’s the spirit! :)
>>

>>> I will continue to tinker and at the same time wait to see if there are
>>> changes to this sample.
>>
>> There may only be one change to the sample, one line added, but the real change will happen in two files (maybe 3). And really, they aren’t big changes.
>>

>>> It's true that at the moment there are only 32-bit images available.  I
>>> expect ArchARM to come up with a 64-bit image soon enough though.
>>
>> Indeed, but someone has to push the edge and give it a go?
>>
>> I need to get myself a PI3. I have to wait till the 15th to order mine, but that doesn’t mean I can’t start getting ct-ng there. I know there are others out there waiting for aarch64 support, so let’s do this.
>>

>>> Mike
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Bryan
>
> Well, I feel like I totally missed the mark yesterday. I didn’t realize RPI3 was a 64-bit cpu, and I assumed ct-ng did not have aarch64 support. 0/2…
>
> On the plus side, I have something to test:
> https://github.com/crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng/pull/362
>
> Now, the hard part. You can’t run 64-bit binaries on 32-bit.
> Also, I’m not sure if you can boot aarch64 from a 32-bit bootloader?
> So you may have to start with making u-boot?
>
> I wish I had an RPI3, so I could help with that, but for now I’ll just have to be patient and wait to hear your progress. If you do make progress, and need help, post a git repo somewhere and I’ll try to help if I can.
>
> -Bryan

>>> --
>>> Michael A. Ray
>>> Analyst/Programmer