* Error trying to ./bootstrap crosstool-ng on Mac OS X 10.10.4
@ 2015-08-17 21:07 Peter Teeson
From: Peter Teeson @ 2015-08-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

I am on a Mac Pro Desktop running OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite and Xcode 6.4.
I would like to develop a toolchain for my Raspberry Pi 2.
So in Xcode I checked out the crosstool-ng source from git.
Then in Terminal cd’d to the checkout dir and did:

Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$ ./bootstrap
Running autoconf...
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4: unrecognized option `--gnu'
Try `/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4 --help' for more information.
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$
Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$ m4 --version
GNU M4 1.4.6
…..

Where do I go from here please?

TIA

Peter

* Re: Error trying to ./bootstrap crosstool-ng on Mac OS X 10.10.4
@ 2015-08-17 22:10 ` Allan Clark
From: Allan Clark @ 2015-08-17 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Teeson; +Cc: crossgcc

> On Aug 17, 2015, at 14:07, Peter Teeson <pteeson@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> I am on a Mac Pro Desktop running OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite and Xcode 6.4.
> I would like to develop a toolchain for my Raspberry Pi 2.
> So in Xcode I checked out the crosstool-ng source from git.
> Then in Terminal cd’d to the checkout dir and did:
>
> Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$ ./bootstrap
> Running autoconf...
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4: unrecognized option `--gnu'

Apple tends to ship modified binaries based on older gnu as command line options.  You might get better luck with crosstool-ng running on the shell by itself with newer binaries for m4 and such earlier on the path.

Alternatively, see if you can edit bootstrap to pre-qualify m4 to disregard those that don't accept --gnu

> Try `/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4 --help' for more information.
> autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
> Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$
> Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$ m4 --version
> GNU M4 1.4.6

Yes, but which m4 ?

Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4 --version

Allan

* Re: Error trying to ./bootstrap crosstool-ng on Mac OS X 10.10.4
@ 2015-08-17 22:17 ` Cosmos Nicolaou
From: Cosmos Nicolaou @ 2015-08-17 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Teeson; +Cc: crossgcc maillist

I ended up using clang - take a look at the github project below -
it's fairly clunky but works for simple things. You'll need to copy
the image from your pi to the mac for this to work. Let me know if
it's useful for you.

https://github.com/cosnicolaou/mac-pixc

Cheers, Cos.

@ 2015-08-18  0:53   ` Peter Teeson
From: Peter Teeson @ 2015-08-18  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan Clark; +Cc: crossgcc

Thanks for your comment….
> On Aug 17, 2015, at 6:10 PM, Allan Clark <chickenandporn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple tends to ship modified binaries based on older gnu as command line options.
Yep - run into that a few times….
> You might get better luck with crosstool-ng running on the shell by itself with newer binaries for m4 and such earlier on the path.

> Alternatively, see if you can edit bootstrap to pre-qualify m4 to disregard those that don't accept —gnu
How do I do that?

Gandalf:~ pteeson$ cd /Volumes/Data/Development/MyProjects/crosstool-ng
Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$ cat bootstrap
#!/bin/sh
set -e

printf "Running autoconf...\n"
autoconf -Wall --force

printf "Done. You may now run:\n    ./configure\n"
Gandalf:crosstool-ng pteeson$

> Yes, but which m4 ?
Good question! Looks like they are both the same version

Gandalf:~ pteeson$ /usr/bin/m4 --version
GNU M4 1.4.6

Written by Rene' Seindal.
> Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4 —version

Gandalf:~ pteeson$ /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/m4 --version
GNU M4 1.4.6

Written by Rene' Seindal.

@ 2015-08-18  2:18   ` Peter Teeson
From: Peter Teeson @ 2015-08-18  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cosmos Nicolaou; +Cc: crossgcc maillist

HI Cos:
Apple has been using clang/llvm/lldb for quite some time now.
 Desktop programming is where I spend my time but I think their mobile chips are ARM.
So I infer that clang/llvm will produce ARM binaries.
So if I setup a RPi toolchain I hope “It Just Works” to quote Steve.

But I may be terribly wrong.

I’ll look at your project….

Peter

@ 2015-08-18  2:32     ` Cosmos Nicolaou
From: Cosmos Nicolaou @ 2015-08-18  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Teeson; +Cc: crossgcc maillist

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Peter Teeson <pteeson@icloud.com> wrote:
> HI Cos:
> Apple has been using clang/llvm/lldb for quite some time now.
>  Desktop programming is where I spend my time but I think their mobile chips are ARM.
> So I infer that clang/llvm will produce ARM binaries.
> So if I setup a RPi toolchain I hope “It Just Works” to quote Steve.
>
> But I may be terribly wrong.
>
> I’ll look at your project….

it's never quite as simple as one would like:-) clang/llvm can do the
job of generating arm code, but you need to use gnu ld since that's an
elf linker unlike the darwin native linker. You also need access to
the libraries+header files for the target system - I get these from
the system image I run on my pis. It's not as slick as crosstools, but
I couldn't crosstools past the dependency on glibc so I gave up and
rolled my own.

Cheers, Cos.