* Building cross compiler for ARM Linux: cross-gdb fails for python
@ 2013-03-02 18:42 Michael Powell
From: Michael Powell @ 2013-03-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hello,

I've gotten past the GCJ issue. Disabled Java support since we don't
technically need it that I know of.

To recap, building the latest crosstool-ng 1.18.0 using GCC 4.7.2.

The build chugs along, and about 62 minutes into it, fails over
cross-gdb: configure: error: python is missing or unusable.

I'd really, really, REALLY like to have debug support cross compiling.
Would be very helpful.

We don't really need python per se, but if we need it for debugging
purposes, so be it.

I am out of my comfort zone here, so any insights would be helpful.

Regards,

Michael Powell

* Re: Building cross compiler for ARM Linux: cross-gdb fails for python
@ 2013-03-02 18:49 ` Michael Powell
From: Michael Powell @ 2013-03-02 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Apparently at one point in the change log a couple of years ago (21
months back now):

http://crosstool-ng.net/hg/crosstool-ng/log/9e2761e59a75

Seems that the assumption was: if either expat (?) or python aren't
present, the build will succeed, but without some features.

I don't mind installing python, but would like to avoid creeping
dependencies too.

@ 2013-03-03 15:00 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-03-03 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Michael Powell

Michael, All,

On Saturday 02 March 2013 Michael Powell wrote:
> The build chugs along, and about 62 minutes into it, fails over
> cross-gdb: configure: error: python is missing or unusable.

You need to install the python devel libs on your host. On my Debian
Squeeze, the package is called 'python-dev'; adapt to your own distro.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: Building cross compiler for ARM Linux: cross-gdb fails for python
@ 2013-03-03 15:01   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-03-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Michael Powell

Michael, All,

On Saturday 02 March 2013 Michael Powell wrote:
> Apparently at one point in the change log a couple of years ago (21
> months back now):
>
> http://crosstool-ng.net/hg/crosstool-ng/log/9e2761e59a75
>
> Seems that the assumption was: if either expat (?) or python aren't
> present, the build will succeed, but without some features.
>
> I don't mind installing python, but would like to avoid creeping
> dependencies too.

Or, you can disable python support from the menuconfig.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.