Greetings all -- Due to the usual cascade of requirements and bugs, I had to upgrade my toolchain to gcc-4.6.3, so I updated my ct-ng to latest hg head.  (I tried the 1.14.1 release, but that didn't have the 4.6.3 stuff in it). When I ran though my old scripts for building my ramdisk, I got new errors: /opt/cross/platforms/foo/xtools/bin/powerpc-e300c3-linux-gnu-populate: line 208: /usr/bin/install -c: No such file or directory readelf: Error: 'lib/libpthread.so.0': No such file Adding verbosity didn't help.  It turns out that autoconf found "/usr/bin/install -c" to be the correct install tool.  When populate tries to call it, however, it keeps it in double-quotes, and the shell tries to interpret the whole string as a command name:   # this is the value returned by autoconf and stored in CT_install   $ ins="/usr/bin/install -c"   # if we call it with quotes, the command is not found   $ "${ins}"   bash: /usr/bin/install -c: No such file or directory   # removing the quotes lets it work as expected   $ ${ins}   /usr/bin/install: missing file operand   Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information. The fix is easy: just remove the quotes around the use of ${install}. Patch attached. Thanks, t.