* Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng
       [not found]       ` <1398295463.30071.ezmlm@sourceware.org>
@ 2014-04-24 15:45         ` Bradley M. Kuhn
From: Bradley M. Kuhn @ 2014-04-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

TL;DR: Crosstool-ng applied (long ago) to the Conservancy and has
       (finally) been offered membership.  The FSA template should be
       reviewed by all interested parties, and we need your help to
       draft three specific sections, which are discussed in detail at
       the bottom of this email.

Full Details:

I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
Freedom Conservancy.  I apologize greatly for the long delay between
your application date and the date on which we offered you membership.
As I have previously explained, Conservancy does not offer membership
until we're sure we can offer services to the project.

The next step is to negotiate a formal agreement between the project and
the Conservancy, which is called a fiscal sponsorship agreement (FSA).
You can find a template of the agreement available on Conservancy's
website at: https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
            https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.tex
            https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt

Generally, Conservancy leaves it for the Crosstool-ng community to
decide how you'd like to discuss the document internally.  Note that
signing such an agreement is a big step for the project and you should
consider the agreement carefully, in whatever forum is most appropriate
for your community.  Conservancy strongly suggests that a public
discussion of the FSA occur on the general discussion list for
developers of your project, which is why I've posted this information
here on your public list.

Also cc'ed is Conservancy's "Project Intake group", which can be reached
by the alias <project-intake@sfconservancy.org> and is comprised of the
following people:
   Bradley M. Kuhn, Karen Sandler, Tony Sebro, Jeremy Allison,
   Tom Callaway, Martin Michlmayr

All of us are members of Conservancy's Project Evaluation Committee and
will be happy to answer questions and you should also feel free to cc that
address, too, if you'd like, when asking questions.

Meanwhile, Conservancy's detailed discussion will be with the
application lead, Yann E. MORIN.  Ultimately, Conservancy will rely on
the application leads to coordinate the final details of the FSA with
Conservancy.

Specifically, note that the FSA template is in fact, just that, a
template.  Most notably, we'll need to figure out together two key terms
of the agreement:

  (a) who the initial signatories should be (ideally it should include
      anyone who has ever made substantial contributions to the project),

  (b) who the Project Leadership Committee (PLC) should be, how it should
      govern itself, and what it should be called.  Note there are a few
      examples in the FSA template of how other projects have done this, but
      they are just guidelines, not choices.  The most important thing is to
      write something that describes the natural and existing leadership
      structure of your project.  Conservancy also is reluctant to accept
      PLC's that have fewer than three members.

There are a few other minor issues that we've raised in a private thread
with the application leads.

Please note that this offer will expire six months after it is made.  We
would be happy to extend that time constraint if we're in active
discussions with you about joining.

We look forward to Crosstool-ng joining the Conservancy!
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, President, Software Freedom Conservancy

* Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng
@ 2014-04-24 20:46           ` Yann E. MORIN
                               ` (3 more replies)
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-04-24 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bradley M. Kuhn; +Cc: crossgcc

Bradley, All,

On 2014-04-24 11:44 -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn spake thusly:
> TL;DR: Crosstool-ng applied (long ago) to the Conservancy and has
>        (finally) been offered membership.  The FSA template should be
>        reviewed by all interested parties, and we need your help to
>        draft three specific sections, which are discussed in detail at
>        the bottom of this email.
>
> Full Details:
>
> I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
> Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
> Freedom Conservancy. [...]

Thank you for the offer. This is great news! :-)

> The next step is to negotiate a formal agreement between the project and
> the Conservancy, which is called a fiscal sponsorship agreement (FSA).
> You can find a template of the agreement available on Conservancy's
> website at: https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
>             https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.tex
>             https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt
>
> Generally, Conservancy leaves it for the Crosstool-ng community to
> decide how you'd like to discuss the document internally.  Note that
> signing such an agreement is a big step for the project and you should
> consider the agreement carefully, in whatever forum is most appropriate
> for your community.  Conservancy strongly suggests that a public
> discussion of the FSA occur on the general discussion list for
> developers of your project, which is why I've posted this information
> here on your public list.

We will be discussing this FSA on this list.

Should we keep you, Bradley, and/or the "Project Intake group" in Cc of
all the discussion, or do you just want a final summary with pointers to
the ML archives?

[--SNIP--]

> We look forward to Crosstool-ng joining the Conservancy!

Thank you again for this offer. :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng
@ 2014-04-25  1:35             ` Bradley M. Kuhn
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bradley M. Kuhn @ 2014-04-25  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: project-intake

Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> We will be discussing this FSA on this list.

Great, public discussion is always a good thing IMO. :)

> Should we keep you, Bradley, and/or the "Project Intake group" in Cc of all
> the discussion, or do you just want a final summary with pointers to the ML
> archives?

It's really up to you.  I've cc'ed that address here, but you can remove it
if you want.

It turns out I was on crossgcc list anyway from way back.  (I've used crossgcc
from time to time myself) and it was going to a folder I rarely checked.  I
noticed this because I just got myself subscribed twice under two addresses
for the moment.  So, I'll follow the discussion on list regardless.

   -- bkuhn

* Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng
@ 2014-04-25  7:22             ` gabx
       [not found]             ` <CAOhNY--M9iMYSvK2uaqH8cimM=9hxSrk4-1Q4=8-TNpth7ct9w@mail.gmail.com>
From: gabx @ 2014-04-25  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Yann E. MORIN-2 [via Sourceware.org]
<ml-node+s1504n267540h19@n7.nabble.com> wrote:
> Bradley, All,

>> I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
>> Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
>> Freedom Conservancy. [...]
>
> Thank you for the offer. This is great news! :-)

This is a very good news
I am glad for you and all the contributors.

* Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng
@ 2014-04-30  5:35             ` Anthony Foiani
       [not found]             ` <CAOhNY--M9iMYSvK2uaqH8cimM=9hxSrk4-1Q4=8-TNpth7ct9w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Anthony Foiani @ 2014-04-30  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: Bradley M. Kuhn, crossgcc maillist

[Apologies if some of you get this twice -- I forgot about the plain
text requirements for crossgcc.]

It looks like the Conservancy also mailed individual contributors, a
nicety which is very much appreciated.

I contributed far less to crosstool-ng than I got back from it.  For
those meagre contributions, I am happy to assign them to Yann, the
Conservancy, or to whatever entity ends up holding the rights to the
tool.

If a more formal mechanism is needed, please let us know.

Thanks, and good luck!

@ 2014-04-30 17:00               ` Bradley M. Kuhn
       [not found]                 ` <87bniabnfm.fsf@ebb.org>
From: Bradley M. Kuhn @ 2014-04-30 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Foiani; +Cc: project-intake, crossgcc maillist

Anthony Foiani wrote at 22:33 (PDT) on Tuesday:
> It looks like the Conservancy also mailed individual contributors, a
> nicety which is very much appreciated.

Indeed, it's important for Conservancy to let everyone know what's going
on with joining Conservancy.  The whole project joins Conservancy when
this happens.

> I contributed far less to crosstool-ng than I got back from it. For
> those meagre contributions, I am happy to assign them to Yann, the
> Conservancy, or to whatever entity ends up holding the rights to the
> tool.

To be clear, Conservancy doesn't *require* copyright assignment.  It's
an option for our projects, but most of our projects don't do it.

> If a more formal mechanism is needed, please let us know.

So, Anthony, since you've already licensed your contributions under
Crosstool-ng's license, there's nothing more you need to do!

The main issue for everyone with Crosstool-ng joining Conservancy is
that any assets the project *does* end up holding (be they copyrights,
money, trademarks, etc.), those assets are held by Conservancy on behalf
of the project and they will be in a 501(c)(3) entity.
--

@ 2019-12-12  4:40                   ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2019-12-12  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bradley M. Kuhn; +Cc: project-intake, crossgcc maillist

I am still looking for crosstool-ng to join the SFC.

I remember meeting with Bradley, and with many other open-source contributors.

I think with the history of this thread is an application for the SFC.

Cheers,

-Bryan Hundven

@ 2019-12-12  4:57                     ` Bryan Hundven
From: Bryan Hundven @ 2019-12-12  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)