* MaverickCrunch patches
@ 2011-09-11  0:58 Martin Guy
From: Martin Guy @ 2011-09-11  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc list

Hi list
  Is it worth including the patches to fix GCC code generation for the
Cirrus Logic MaverickCrunch FPU found in their EP93xx series SoCs?
  There are patches for gcc-4.2.4, 4.3.3 and 4.3.4
  (I know, I should update them to GCC-4.5, which produces smaller,
faster code)

  How would Crunch-hungry folks find out that they need so select
specific versions version of GCC to get working FPU support?

* Re: MaverickCrunch patches
@ 2011-09-11 14:02 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2011-09-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Martin Guy

Martin, All,

On Sunday 11 September 2011 02:58:06 Martin Guy wrote:
>   Is it worth including the patches to fix GCC code generation for the
> Cirrus Logic MaverickCrunch FPU found in their EP93xx series SoCs?

Yes, I'm pretty much interested in them!

>   There are patches for gcc-4.2.4, 4.3.3 and 4.3.4
>   (I know, I should update them to GCC-4.5, which produces smaller,
> faster code)

Well, at least let's include what is available. If you manage to later
update the MaverickCrunch patchset up to 4.5 (4.6!), we can then add it.

>   How would Crunch-hungry folks find out that they need so select
> specific versions version of GCC to get working FPU support?

First, we have to properly finish the hard/soft/softfp stuff, as it might
have some implications on Crunch (but I don't really know...). Most notably,
if hardware floating point is used, then ARM can offer an option for each
of the available FPUs: vfp{,v2,v3}, neon, crunch...

Second, in the help entry for each FPU, we can list the requirements; for
example:
 - crunch requires: gcc in [4.2.4, 4.3.3, 4.3.4]
 - neon requires gcc >= 4.5
 - and so on...

Third, we can provide a sample with crunch enabled, so people can start
off with that.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: MaverickCrunch patches
@ 2011-09-13 17:19   ` Titus von Boxberg
From: Titus von Boxberg @ 2011-09-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc; +Cc: Martin Guy

Am 11.09.2011 um 16:02 schrieb Yann E. MORIN:
> On Sunday 11 September 2011 02:58:06 Martin Guy wrote:
>>  Is it worth including the patches to fix GCC code generation for the
>> Cirrus Logic MaverickCrunch FPU found in their EP93xx series SoCs?
>
> Yes, I'm pretty much interested in them!
me too!

Regards
Titus