From: ANDY KENNEDY <ANDY.KENNEDY@adtran.com>
To: 'Vered Zvi' <veredz@elta.co.il>,
	"crossgcc@sourceware.org"	<crossgcc@sourceware.org>
Subject: RE: ldd for busybox compiled for arm
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:19:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Vered!

> Using crosstool-ng 1.22.0 I created a toolchain for:  arm-cortex_a15-linux-gnueabi
> The host is Centos 7.2.1511 (64)
>
> Using this toolchain I compiled busybox.
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../../../../toolchain/crosstool/release/bin/arm-cortex_a15-linux-
> gnueabihf- defconfig
> make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=../../../../toolchain/crosstool/release/bin/arm-cortex_a15-linux-
> gnueabihf-

After doing this, you should have ended up with two files in the
local directory:  busybox busybox_unstripped.

What does "file" return to you for these two files.

> Is it possible to use ldd from this toolchain to find out the dependencies for /bin/sh , /sbin/init
> ?
>
> Strange: both /bin/sh, /sbin/init run under x86.

I would hope that to be the case.  /bin/sh on the HOST should not have
been altered by the above steps.  Now, if you mean that you attempted to
run these two commands on the target, this is different.  On target, you
may have to run 'busybox install' to correctly configure the system with
the appropriate links.  The file /bin/busybox on TARGET should be your
NEW busybox prior to executing the install.

If you cannot execute your freshly built busybox on the system (busybox
without options will display the built-ins applets for busybox), you may
have linking issues.  The trick there is that you would many of the libs
that come with the toolchain before this will work.  If you are looking
to build a system without libraries, I suggest that you use BuildRoot
with an internal toolchain to build your busybox statically.

> How it is possible ?
> They were compiled for ARM.
>
> Thank you,
> Z.V