* Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-10  9:23 dwglessn
From: dwglessn @ 2000-07-10  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuckey; +Cc: GCC Cross Compiler Development., crossgcc-owner

> Is gcc ported for _any_ 8-bit microprocessor/microcontroller?

Yes.  http://home.worldnet.fr/~stcarrez/m68hc11_port.html describes
a port for the 68HC11 and 68HC12.

--
David

------

* Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-10 11:04 ` Curt Mills, WE7U
From: Curt Mills, WE7U @ 2000-07-10 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwglessn; +Cc: tuckey, GCC Cross Compiler Development., crossgcc-owner

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 dwglessn@collins.rockwell.com wrote:

> > Is gcc ported for _any_ 8-bit microprocessor/microcontroller?
>
> Yes.  http://home.worldnet.fr/~stcarrez/m68hc11_port.html describes
> a port for the 68HC11 and 68HC12.

Also:

	http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

8051 & Z80 compiler, and

	http://www.eskimo.com/~archer	(My home page)

GCC 2.81 version of HC11 compiler and MIT Handyboard Libraries.
This one doesn't use the full GNU toolset though.  The HC11/HC12
port listed first is more complete, and is against GCC 2.95.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM@tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin

------

* General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-09 10:51 Andrew Tuckey
From: Andrew Tuckey @ 2000-07-09 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Cross Compiler Development.

> From: Craig Verbeck <CVerbeck@ClarityVisual.com>
>
> Here's a list of processors that I'd love to see a binary distribution of
> this "development kit" for both windows and Linux:
>
> 8bit: 8051/Atmel AVR
(snip)

Thank you Craig for your comments - all very helpful.  I already distribute an
80C537/80C517 development kit.  It has an assembly debugger (via the serial
port) with all the normal stuff - break points, register values etc.  I use a
very nice compiler for the 8051 family made by Hi-Tech, but its $1000 per
licence - one of the things that gave me the impetus for this project.

Is gcc ported for _any_ 8-bit microprocessor/microcontroller?

> 16bit: x86

Is there a preferable x86 platform for embedded apps?  Say an 80188EB, or
other?

--
Andrew Tuckey, Visiting Lecturer
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department

Email: tuckey@ieee.org

------

* Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-07 11:19 ` norwood sisson
From: norwood sisson @ 2000-07-07 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuckey; +Cc: crossgcc

check out
http://www.redhat.com/products/edk/
http://www.mvista.com/journeyman/

woody

tuckey@ieee.org wrote:

> [...]
> will be programmed using gcc on any type of host computer with target output
> for the embedded system processor, and I would like to have the facility to
> use gdb as the debugger.  Such a system has many advantages.
>
> Firstly such a system would only cost hardware since the software tools are
> free, and thus it would be reachable by students and enthusiasts, not just
> full-fee paying companies.
>
> Secondly gcc and gdb are familiar to computer science students so they
> wouldn't have to learn another compiler/debugger (like Code Composer for
> the 'C40s for instance).
>
> Thirdly, one wouldn't be restricted to a particular hardware for development or
> for the target processor (again like Code Composer and the 'C40s) - one could
> use whatever one desired that had enough processing power.
>
> I realise that I will need to do some ROM programming for the
> downloading/debugger interface, but I'm willing to put in a little time if the
> hardware will support it, and channel the lessons learned in the experience
> back into the open source community.
>
> As an extension I would further like to look at using RTLinux on the systems
> in more general contexts.  Ultimately I would like to use some high-speed
> communication for the downloading/debugging since using a serial port can get
> very painful.  If I used Ethernet and TCP/IP the embedded system could be
> remote from the development environment.
>
> Further, I would like to have some digital and analogue I/O on the board.
> Having these on-board avoids the delays incurred in getting the data from the
> A/D converters etc. - something I have had some experience with using 'C40 for
> electric machine control.  I would like to experiment with mapping the outputs
> of the analogue and digital I/O onto particular memory locations so that I
> can avoid ISA and PCI bus interface complexity and delays.
>
> For these boards customers could just buy the chips they want and leave out
> the bits they don't so the price for a development kit would be kept quite
> low.
>
> Now the question that I would ask this list is `is what I'm proposing
> feasible?'  I'm sure it's fine for the larger processors, like a Pentium or
> MIPS, but what about the gdb interface for a memory limited ARM board?
>
> Do any of you see any obvious problems with the concept?  Any recommendations?
>
> Although I have used gcc and gdb in my computer science degree subjects and
> for some software development, I'm not quite sure where to start with the gdb
> interfacing.  I would like to know what type of communication is used between
> the processor, the running programme and gdb.  Could someone point me in the
> right direction to get such information.
>
> And finally, when I build up these boards, how many would be interested in
> buying one?
>
> --
> Andrew Tuckey, Visiting Lecturer
> Electrical and Computer Engineering Department

------

* Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-07 10:44 ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2000-07-07 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Verbeck; +Cc: 'crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Craig Verbeck wrote:

> My reply may be considered off topic -- but I think it's a cool idea....

> There are development boards for all of these systems.  The ultimate would
> be to download a zip (windows) or tar-ball (Linux) that had binary versions
> of the compiler, debugger, eCos, and maybe uC/Linux with a BSP for a
> specific development board.  Based on how much processor you have available
> (MIPS, memory size, etc.) other excellent additions would be a portable GUI
> and a TCP/IP stack.  All ready to go.  Download, install and you are ready
> to develop in a familiar environment that has been pre-converged to this
> target system.
>
> Here's a list of processors that I'd love to see a binary distribution of
> this "development kit" for both windows and Linux:
> 8bit: 8051/Atmel AVR
> 16bit: x86
> 32bit: PPC/CPU32(68k)/ARM/MIPS/Pentium
> I'm sure there are more.  These are the processors that I use (or would like
> to use) on a regular basis.
>
> I know a lot of people have developed parts and pieces of this.  All of the
> source code is available.  But, there does not appear to be any _overall_
> organization.
>
> Sorry for the rant,

This is not that much of a rant. :)

I think that the RTEMS team has come as close to anyone to meeting your
requirements.  There are pre-built cross toolset binaries for Linux x86,
Solaris/SPARC, FreeBSD, and Cygwin.  On each host, the same target
CPU families are supported (i386, i960, m68k/coldfire/cpu32, mips,
powerpc, sh, and sparc).  In addition, there are also Linux x86 only
binaries for the hppa and recently submitted Hitachi H8 port.  There
is a port of RTEMS to the TI DSP C3x/C4x family and when possible we
will
eventually make GNU toolset binaries available for that.  An ARM port is
underway and tools will be added for that one when it is merged.  The
current version of all these are available at
ftp.oarcorp.com:/pub/rtems/betas.
Be careful when pulling things down -- use the index.html to guide your
selection.  There are literally over a Gbyte of tool binaries.  It
is hard to imagine anyone really needing all of them. :)

The above described tool binaries give you tools that target the CPU
family.
The second 1/2 of the problem is targetting to your board.  Included
in the RTEMS source is an RPM spec that can be used to build a packaged
binary version of a Board Support Package.

RTEMS has all of the classic RTOS features mentioned in the original
port
plus more.  It includes a port of the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack, filesystem
support, MicroWindows port, remote debugging via Ethernet, webserver,
and much more.  It supports about 85% of the full POSIX 1003.1b standard
including threads, supports a pSOS+ like API, and has emerging support
for ITRON.

For online documentation follow the links from www.oarcorp.com.
> A.C. Verbeck
> Principal Software Engineer
> Clarity Visual Systems
> email: cverbeck@clarityvisual.com
> vox: (503) 570-0319
> fax: (503) 682-9441
> web: www.ClarityVisual.com
>
> ------
> Want more information?  See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985

------

* Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-07 10:40 ` Daris Nevil
From: Daris Nevil @ 2000-07-07 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Verbeck; +Cc: 'crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Craig,

The vision you describe below is the driving force behind our development
at Simple Network Magic.  We see so many companies that need embedded
Internet and Network Managament, but don't have the time or $ to do
in-house development.  We provide a complete package, including compiler
binaries, a kernel and drivers already ported to the hardware, etc (you
can view at www.snmc.com/products.html).

Our drawback is because of our small size we cannot handle a wide range
of processors as you described.  We have restricted ourselves to PPC only,
and our next product will be based on the PowerQuick II.

Thanks for "the rant".

Daris Nevil
SNMC

Craig Verbeck wrote:

> There are development boards for all of these systems.  The ultimate would
> be to download a zip (windows) or tar-ball (Linux) that had binary versions
> of the compiler, debugger, eCos, and maybe uC/Linux with a BSP for a
> specific development board.  Based on how much processor you have available
> (MIPS, memory size, etc.) other excellent additions would be a portable GUI
> and a TCP/IP stack.  All ready to go.  Download, install and you are ready
> to develop in a familiar environment that has been pre-converged to this
> target system.
>
> Here's a list of processors that I'd love to see a binary distribution of
> this "development kit" for both windows and Linux:
> 8bit: 8051/Atmel AVR
> 16bit: x86
> 32bit: PPC/CPU32(68k)/ARM/MIPS/Pentium
> I'm sure there are more.  These are the processors that I use (or would like
> to use) on a regular basis.

------

* RE: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-07  9:21 Craig Verbeck
From: Craig Verbeck @ 2000-07-07  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com'

My reply may be considered off topic -- but I think it's a cool idea....

| I would like to make some single board embedded development
| kits with some
| simple tools.  Firstly I would like to use a board that has a
| more general
| (i.e. non DSP) type processor, something like a MIPS, ARM, PowerPC, or
| Pentium, or anything else that is deemed suitable.  The
| programme for a board
| will be programmed using gcc on any type of host computer
| with target output
| for the embedded system processor, and I would like to have
| the facility to
| use gdb as the debugger.  Such a system has many advantages.

One not-so-implied requirement is to lower the entry cost to develop on such
a system.  IMO this is the key to making this type of system work.  I have
been drawn to gcc/gdb/eCos for the same reasons: extremely high quality
tools, exceptionally low cost of entry (in $).

However, there is cost.  In many cases you must converge the tools to your
system.  To expand on your idea, wouldn't it be great if there were a "kits"
for not just this board (which BTW is an excellent combination) but for a
large number of development boards/eval kits.

I am approached by distributors/factory reps every week.  They want to
"give" me an eval board.  In almost all cases the development tool-chain
cost is extreme ($5k-$25k+).  They will give you an eval license for the
development tools that lasts 30 days.  This is not enough time.  Also, all
of these compilers are different -- I have no desire to learn a new tool
chain each time I have to develop a project with a new processor.

@ 2000-07-07  7:53   ` Frank Przybylski
From: Frank Przybylski @ 2000-07-07  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Rodrigues da Silva; +Cc: crossgcc, tuckey

Hi all,
Andre Rodrigues da Silva wrote:

>     Andrew,
>
>     The only thing I would like to point out is that if you use a processor like
> motorola's
> MPC860 you can make the debugging by JTag just like you should be used to with the
> texas' processors. I thing this is a bit more easy.
>
>     If you're interested in such a possibility I can give you these links:
>
>     linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu -> look for embedded distribution
>     linux-embedded.org -> general info
>     www.brightstareng.com -> sell a board with mpc823 (much like the mpc860)
>
>     Regards,
>
>             André

A nice start point for embedded cross development with lots of links and a focus
on MPC860 (but not limited to) can be found under:
http://members.xoom.com/greyhams/linux/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO.html

Frank

* Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.
@ 2000-07-07  6:36 ` Andre Rodrigues da Silva
From: Andre Rodrigues da Silva @ 2000-07-07  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc, tuckey

@ 2000-07-07  4:27 tuckey