* PowerPC Toolchain.
@ 2000-11-30  7:30 Rolf.Barwick
From: Rolf.Barwick @ 2000-11-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Hi,
	I wish to build a GNU Toolchain for a new PowerPC embedded system,
using S-records.   I am sure it can be done, though I run into tool building
problems with the options I have used up to now.
My questions:
	What --target= option should I be using for the configure script?
	Are there any special makefile targets which need to be specified
for a cross compiler for generating low-level code?   (That is I haven't yet
written the OS libraries).

Thanks,
Rolf Barwick

www.aculab.com

Aculab Plc,
Lakeside,
Bramley Road,
Mount Farm,
Milton Keynes,
Bucks
MK1 1PT

Tel: +44 (0) 1908 273917
Fax: +44 (0) 1908 273801

------

* Re: PowerPC Toolchain.
@ 2000-12-01  2:38 ` Michael Schwingen
From: Michael Schwingen @ 2000-12-01  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf.Barwick; +Cc: crossgcc

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 03:30:04PM -0000, Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com wrote:
> 	I wish to build a GNU Toolchain for a new PowerPC embedded system,
> using S-records.   I am sure it can be done, though I run into tool building
> problems with the options I have used up to now.
> My questions:
> 	What --target= option should I be using for the configure script?
> 	Are there any special makefile targets which need to be specified
> for a cross compiler for generating low-level code?   (That is I haven't yet
> written the OS libraries).

Look in the embedded-gcc FAQ on how to do a one-tree build of gcc, binutils
and newlib - using target powerpc-eabi, this works fine out of the box and
is the easiest way, even if you do not actually need newlib.

I am not sure if the linker can directly create s-records (but I think so) -
I usually let the linker generate an ELF file (with debug info), and then
use objcopy to convert that to S-records.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen

------

* Re: PowerPC Toolchain.
@ 2000-12-01  5:24   ` Michael Schwingen
From: Michael Schwingen @ 2000-12-01  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Schwingen; +Cc: Rolf.Barwick, crossgcc

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:53:58AM +0100, Michael Schwingen wrote:
> Look in the embedded-gcc FAQ on how to do a one-tree build of gcc, binutils

Make that the crossgcc-FAQ - IIRC, it is available somwehere on objsw.com.

I guess I should not write replys before having a coffee.

cu
Michael
--

@ 2000-12-01  7:18 ` Hans - Dulimarta
From: Hans - Dulimarta @ 2000-12-01  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rolf.Barwick; +Cc: crossgcc

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:30:04 -0000
> From: Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com
> To: crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com
> Subject: PowerPC Toolchain.
>
> Hi,
> 	I wish to build a GNU Toolchain for a new PowerPC embedded system,
> using S-records.   I am sure it can be done, though I run into tool building
> problems with the options I have used up to now.
> My questions:
> 	What --target= option should I be using for the configure script?

--target=powerpc-eabi

> 	Are there any special makefile targets which need to be specified
> for a cross compiler for generating low-level code?   (That is I haven't yet
> written the OS libraries).

No, the configure script will generate the correct targets.

> Thanks,
> Rolf Barwick
>
> www.aculab.com
>
> Aculab Plc,
> Lakeside,
> Bramley Road,
> Mount Farm,
> Milton Keynes,
> Bucks
> MK1 1PT
>
> Tel: +44 (0) 1908 273917
> Fax: +44 (0) 1908 273801
>

> ------
> Want more information?  See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

Hans Dulimarta, Ph.D.                  dulimart@computer.org
P: 517-432-7589             http://www.egr.msu.edu/~dulimart
F: 760-281-7691             http://corelinux.sourceforge.net
Elec. & Comp. Engg., Mich. State Univ., E. Lansing, MI 48824

------

* RE: PowerPC Toolchain.
@ 2000-11-30  7:50 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2000-11-30  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com', crossgcc

>From: Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com [ mailto:Rolf.Barwick@aculab.com ]

>	I wish to build a GNU Toolchain for a new PowerPC embedded system,
>using S-records.   I am sure it can be done, though I run into tool
>building problems with the options I have used up to now.
>My questions:
>	What --target= option should I be using for the configure script?

   powerpc-eabi is probably your best bet for starters. I don't know
that any of the ppc targets use s-recs by default, but a simple workround
might be to add a stage in your makefile that uses objcopy (from binutils)
to convert the format.

>	Are there any special makefile targets which need to be specified
>for a cross compiler for generating low-level code?   (That is I haven't
>yet written the OS libraries).

   You won't be able to build the compiler properly without a set of
include files for the C standard library for your OS/target. You'd probably
find it easiest to port newlib to your architecture; you can then use the
header files from that to get your compiler to build even before you've done
the newlib porting work. At least, I think this should work, although I
haven't used newlib myself because I've only ever built toolchains for an
existing OS for which I already had the header files (vxworks, in case
you're interested). If you decide to go down this route, you'd need to add
--with-newlib=/path/to/newlib/source to your configure command.

     DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com