* Fwd: autoconf: ./configure fails on cygwin for crosstool-ng-1.24.0
       [not found] <1f2e0707-6563-36a3-8e1e-1768bee278eb@gmx.de>
@ 2019-05-06 20:14 ` Philipp
       [not found]   ` <CABwpfdT-f=vWCOgMU=mfsOXKP3kNRMa=7VL7GjBAy4d1vR5NDw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Philipp @ 2019-05-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc

Resend because of spam filter. This message has also been sent to
bug-autoconf@gnu.org.

Hello,

I tried to run ./configure on the package crosstool-ng-1.24.0 under cygwin64
and it fails.

Here is the output:
   ./configure: This script requires a shell more modern than all
   ./configure: the shells that I found on your system.
   ./configure: Please tell bug-autoconf@gnu.org and
   ./configure: crossgcc@sourceware.org about your system, including
   ./configure: any error possibly output before this message. Then
   ./configure: install a modern shell, or manually run the script
   ./configure: under such a shell if you do have one.

The shell is bash:
   $ echo $SHELL
   /bin/bash

Bash version:
   $ $SHELL --version
   GNU bash, Version 4.4.12(3)-release (x86_64-unknown-cygwin)
   Lizenz GPLv3+: GNU GPL Version 3 oder jünger
http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

   Dies ist freie Software. Sie darf verändert und verteilt werden.
   Es wird keine Garantie gewährt, soweit das Gesetz es zulässt.

Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?
If I have to provide more information I'll gladly do.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Philipp

* Re: autoconf: ./configure fails on cygwin for crosstool-ng-1.24.0
       [not found]   ` <CABwpfdT-f=vWCOgMU=mfsOXKP3kNRMa=7VL7GjBAy4d1vR5NDw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-05-06 21:02     ` Philipp
From: Philipp @ 2019-05-06 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp; +Cc: crossgcc, bug-autoconf

Hi Allan,

thank you for your suggestion.
Unfortunately, this leads to the same result and error message.

Based on your suggestion, I installed other shells:
zsh 5.5.1-1
   $ /bin/zsh ./configure
   ./configure: This script requires a shell more modern than all
   ./configure: the shells that I found on your system.
   ./configure: In particular, zsh 5.5.1 has bugs and should
   ./configure: be upgraded to zsh 4.3.4 or later.

zsh 5.1.1-1
   $ /bin/zsh ./configure
   ./configure: This script requires a shell more modern than all
   ./configure: the shells that I found on your system.
   ./configure: In particular, zsh 5.1.1 has bugs and should
   ./configure: be upgraded to zsh 4.3.4 or later.

dash 0.5.9.1-1
   $ /bin/dash ./configure
   ./configure: This script requires a shell more modern than all
   ./configure: the shells that I found on your system.
   ./configure: Please tell bug-autoconf@gnu.org and
   ./configure: crossgcc@sourceware.org about your system, including
   ./configure: any error possibly output before this message. Then
   ./configure: install a modern shell, or manually run the script
   ./configure: under such a shell if you do have one.

I don't want to build zsh 4.3.4. from source unless I have really no
other option.
I'm not convinced this would work though as it fails with a newer version.
What shell would be suited best for autoconf?

Best regards,
Philipp

@ 2019-05-06 21:19 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2019-05-06 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp, bug-autoconf; +Cc: crossgcc

On 5/6/19 1:08 PM, Philipp wrote:

> Is there anything I can do to solve the problem?
> If I have to provide more information I'll gladly do.

It should work with your Bash. The fact that it fails with both your
Bash, and with recent zsh, suggest a configuration problem of some sort
(not a problem with your shells per se). You can try debugging it by
using 'bash -x configure', or by putting 'set -x' into 'configure' just
before the place you think is causing the problem.

* Re: autoconf: ./configure fails on cygwin for crosstool-ng-1.24.0
@ 2019-05-06 22:09   ` Philipp Wiesner
From: Philipp Wiesner @ 2019-05-06 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: bug-autoconf, crossgcc

Hello Paul,
hello Allan,

thanks to your input I was sure that the problem had to be found in my
specific configuration and so I looked around and found it:
I had installed cygwin into the windows program folder and symlinked the
folder to C:\cygwin64. This seems to have caused problems, because
deleting the symlink and moving the folder to C:\cygwin64 directly
resolved the issue. Now ./configure runs until it fails to find libtool,
which I consider a success.

I can provide the /bin/bash -x ./configure log file upon request.

Thank you!

Philipp