From: zinosat@gmail.com
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Compiling for old system
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 23:44:10 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2021-05-28 at 18:33 +0200, Bottom Post wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 08:18:33AM -0700, Thomas Fuller wrote:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2021, 2:04 PM Davide Viti wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm trying to create a toolchain targeting an old powerpc system
> > > running
> > > kernel 2.6.18 and libc 2.5. The toolchain has to be used on a
> > > windows
> > > machine.
> > >
> > > I've tried different combinations on Linux and ctng 1.5.2 fits
> > > all my
> > > needs.
> > > I've then tried to build the same on Windows, using cygwin, but
> > > compilation
> > > fails at "Installing shared core C compiler" [1]
> > > The config is available at [2]
> > >
> > > The compilation process on cygwin is extremely slow: I've managed
> > > to enable
> > > the experimental feature and restart the build from the last
> > > failure, but
> > > it still i very slow, especially if compared with Linux builds:
> > > I've tried
> > > to do a canadian cross, but it's too much for my newbie skills:
> > > if anyone
> > > would be willing to give me some advices, It'd be great to do
> > > that!
> > >
> > > thank you in advance
> > >
> > > Davide
> > >
> > > [1] https://pastebin.com/BBrFVt4e
> > > [2] https://pastebin.com/jJmMzm9m
> > > --
> >
> > Can you use WSL and use your working Linux build there?

Hi Thomas,
I need a Windows toolchain for a third party tool which is shipped as
an Eclipse plugin on Windows: I haven't really explored possible
options to what the manual says (it talks about cygwin/mingw), so I'll
try to achieve what it says.

I did not know WSL though, and sounds really interesting, so thank you
for the suggestion

regards,
Davide