public inbox for cygwin-announce@cygwin.com
* [ITP] jdupes
@ 2022-09-13 18:24 Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2022-09-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello to everyone,

I'm interested in becoming a package maintainer for the program jdupes.

https://github.com/jbruchon/jdupes/

It would be a new package for the cygwin distribution, but it is already
distributed on different systems.
For example

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=jdupes
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-misc/jdupes
https://software.opensuse.org/package/jdupes
https://pkgs.org/download/jdupes
https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/testing/x86_64/jdupes
https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/jdupes
https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/jdupes/

The current release can be downloaded from

https://github.com/jbruchon/jdupes/releases/tag/v1.21.0

and can be compiled on cygwin without patches (necessary changes have
been integrated by the author after contacting him).

jdupes has a native windows port, but I see an added value having it
available in cygwin.

It is a program similar to fdupes (already present in cygwin), and is
not a drop-in replacement. From the website description:

 > Why use jdupes instead of the original fdupes or other duplicate finders?
 >
 > The biggest reason is raw speed. In testing on various data sets,
jdupes is over 7 times faster than fdupes-1.51 on average.

.hint and .cygport files are attached

Best regards

Federico