public inbox for email@example.com
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [setup - the official Cygwin setup program] branch master, updated. release_2.883-3-ga6eab5a
@ 2018-01-08 14:00 jturney
0 siblings, 0 replies; only message in thread
From: jturney @ 2018-01-08 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
Author: Jon Turney <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun Jan 7 19:08:36 2018 +0000
Update displayed copyright to 2018
Author: Jon Turney <email@example.com>
Date: Mon Dec 11 23:18:33 2017 +0000
Split WISHLIST out from README
Also remove old CHANGES file
CHANGES | 184 --------------------------------------------------------------
README | 42 --------------
WISHLIST | 40 ++++++++++++++
res.rc | 2 +-
4 files changed, 41 insertions(+), 227 deletions(-)
diff --git a/CHANGES b/CHANGES
deleted file mode 100644
@@ -1,184 +0,0 @@
-Note: For easier maintenance try to keep items in reverse chronological
- order of when they were committed. -- briand
- - Don't treat dummy packages consisting of compressed 0-byte files as
- - Avoid crashing on invalid/empty .lst.gz file. Make "files in use"
- dialog modal to prevent the user from aborting the install and creating
- a corrupt .lst.gz.
- - Display correct SI units (kB).
- - New command line option -p can be used to specify HTTP/FTP proxy.
- - Alert user when encountering a .tar file of unsupported format rather than
- silently failing to extract. Also be more accepting of non-GNU tar formats,
- such as those created by libtar/cmake.
- - If running on 9x/ME versions of Windows, look for setup_legacy.ini/.bz2
- instead of setup.ini/.bz2, in support for future dropping of non-NT support
- and forking of the distro.
- - Fix crash when trying to MD5 a non-existant package file that failed to
- - Don't append a trailing slash to local package directory location if it
- already has one, or it ends in a backslash.
- - Be more robust in falling back to setup.ini if setup.bz2 doesn't exist
- or appears to be corrupt.
- - Fix crashes and improve specificity of error messages when encountering
- an .ini file parse error. Make progress meter active during parsing of a
- bz2-compressed .ini file.
- - At the last install step, inform the user of success/failure at the bottom
- of the main panel instead of with an annoying message box popup.
- - Fix bug that caused a wrong version of a source package to be selected
- in some cases due to erroniously comparing versions as text instead of
- - Gracefully handle the case where two packages contain a postinstall script
- of the same name.
- - Allow interactively retrying to replace open files.
- - Create Cygwin.bat with upper-case C to make filename TAB completion of
- /cygdrive more convenient.
- - Fix unreadable chooser page due to bad background colour problem.
- - Make categories named with an initial "." default to expanded display.
- - Fix a class of crashes due to poor string handling. Remove use of custom
- String class in favor of std::string.
- - Update DNS names to preferred forms: cygwin.com and sources.redhat.com.
- - Handle dropped mirrors elegantly.
- - Fix incorrect logging of postinstall script success/failure.
- - Provide indication of site that a file is being downloaded from.
- - Fix command line options to override cached selections.
- - Sort the mirrors list by logical structure of DNS names.
- - Do not attempt to reopen a missing package database on initial install.
- - Cache mirror list and use local copy if server unavailable.
- - Slightly improve logged error messages.
- - Run postinstall scripts in dependency order.
- - Fix problem of FTP connections timing out and not being retried.
- - Change checkbox label to "Hide obsolete packages" and add tooltip that
- explains in more detail what it does.
- - Set tooltip timeout delay to 30 seconds.
- - Fix problem of text and icons using white background instead of user's
- selected color.
- - Recompile with gcc 3.3.3 as workaround until the STL crashes are
- - Retrieve exit status of preremove/postinstall scripts. Log abnormal exits.
- - Use /bin/bash rather than /bin/sh when running preremove/postinstall scripts
- to facilitate upgrading /bin/sh.
- - Remove support for undocumented and dangerous postremove scripts.
- - Add new "Size" column to package chooser.
- - Perform explicit dependency checking when the user finishes with the
- package selection step, and if any missing dependencies are found prompt
- to resolve the conflicts.
- - Checkbox option to hide packages in category ZZZRemovedPackages or any
- category that begins with '_'. (Note: ZZZRemovedPackages has now been
- renamed to _obsolete on the mirrors.) Packages in these categories are
- either empty placeholder packages that have been renamed/removed, or are
- infrastructure packages like 'update-info-dir' and are not generally useful
- to the end user.
- - Support mouse wheel scrolling in the package chooser.
- - Use graphical "+" and "-" symbols in category mode of the package chooser.
- - Improve painting method for the package chooser to improve redraw speed and
- prevent sluggish scrolling.
- - Fix unpacking of hardlinks in source packages.
- - Change ordering of uninstall actions so that all preremove scripts are
- executed prior to deleting files. Fixes problem with "cannot find DLL"
- popup error messages during preremove scripts when lots of packages are
- upgraded at once.
- - Remove the --no-md5 (-5) command line option - the cache is now never
- fully MD5-ed, as to do so takes far too long, and packages will be checked
- before installation anyway.
- - Make the MD5 checks immediately prior to installing packages actually
- display notification in the GUI.
- - Add support for tooltips that appear when the mouse pointer hovers
- over controls.
- - Add text to dialogs recommending Binary mode and "All users". Add clickable
- hyperlinks to the appropriate sections of the online Users Guide.
- - Fix some dialog elements that were not resized properly when the window was
- - Include manifest, resulting in support for XP themes.
- - Remember proxy port setting.
- - Fix dependency calculation bug when switching between Curr/Prev/Exp radio
- - Fix crash on encountering a postinstall script with a name of 4
- characters or less.
- - Display only valid URL schemes in the mirrors list.
- - Set CYGWIN=nontsec, for postinstall scripts.
- - Fix corrupt display of ini parse percentage in log file.
- - Filter the mirrors list to only URL schemes that setup can use.
- - Fix setup keeping open handles to every tarball it installs during a run.
- (Which appears to have been indirectly responsible for the weird hangs
- people have been experiencing.)
- - Fix a miscellany of error-reporting deficiencies.
- - Close stdin, to protect against rogue postinstall scripts attempting to
- wait for user input.
- - Last release before CHANGES file begun.
diff --git a/README b/README
index a05b18f..120049c 100644
@@ -71,45 +71,3 @@ The appropriate mailing list for this project is cygwin-apps
(rather than cygwin-patches). Thus, the appropriate final command would be:
$ git send-email --to="firstname.lastname@example.org"
- * Support rpm/deb files for reading the package from. (To allow the
- maintainers the use of rpm/deb tools to create packages.)
- * Make a librar(y|ies) for setup and cygcheck to use containing
- 1) Something to translate POSIX -> native. Currently called "cygpath"
- in setup, although this is probably a bad choice of name.
- 2) Something to return the list of installed packages.
- 3) Something to return the cygwin mount table. Currently, I have implemented
- a lightweight setmntent and getmntent using the code in
- 4) Something to parse a tar file name into package/version or alternatively,
- return that information from 2)
- 5) Something to return a list of files associated with a package.
- * Mark versions as prev/curr/test in the GUI when clicking through them.
- * Make setup.exe available through Add/Remove
- * Local package scan stops updating when it stops being the active window.
- * Some way to download *all* the source.
- * Incremental/recoverable download capability.
- * Build-depends.
- * FTP control connections should be closed when we are awaiting user input.
- * Show a sdesc for each category.
- * Add friendly error reporting to simpsock.cc.
- * Scan newly installed files for README files, show list to user, let them
- read them if they want.
- * Clicking on a package that is in multiple categories should update the view
- of the package in both locations on screen. - Done?
- * Remember the view mode - ie if you leave setup in partial, it returns to
- partial automatically.
- * Downloading from the internet should be _able_ to list based on what is
- present in the cache, as opposed to what is installed. (To help building a
- complete install set for a different machine).
- * New view - "action / category / package"
- * New view - show installed packages only. Probably not categorised.
- * Don't ask about the start menu or desktop options if they already exist.
- * Save the manual proxy settings so they don't need to be retyped.
- * Detect files in multiple packages.
- * Show bin and src download size.
- * Confirm cancellation of setup if in the middle of doing something.
- * Improve mirror selection UI.
- * Ability to "hold" the version of a package - i.e. never auto-upgrade.
diff --git a/WISHLIST b/WISHLIST
new file mode 100644
@@ -0,0 +1,40 @@
+ * Support rpm/deb files for reading the package from. (To allow the
+ maintainers the use of rpm/deb tools to create packages.)
+ * Make a librar(y|ies) for setup and cygcheck to use containing
+ 1) Something to translate POSIX -> native. Currently called "cygpath"
+ in setup, although this is probably a bad choice of name.
+ 2) Something to return the list of installed packages.
+ 3) Something to return the cygwin mount table. Currently, I have implemented
+ a lightweight setmntent and getmntent using the code in
+ 4) Something to parse a tar file name into package/version or alternatively,
+ return that information from 2)
+ 5) Something to return a list of files associated with a package.
+ * Mark versions as prev/curr/test in the GUI when clicking through them.
+ * Make setup.exe available through Add/Remove
+ * Local package scan stops updating when it stops being the active window.
+ * Some way to download *all* the source.
+ * Incremental/recoverable download capability.
+ * Build-depends.
+ * FTP control connections should be closed when we are awaiting user input.
+ * Show a sdesc for each category.
+ * Add friendly error reporting to simpsock.cc.
+ * Scan newly installed files for README files, show list to user, let them
+ read them if they want.
+ * Clicking on a package that is in multiple categories should update the view
+ of the package in both locations on screen. - Done?
+ * Remember the view mode - ie if you leave setup in partial, it returns to
+ partial automatically.
+ * Downloading from the internet should be _able_ to list based on what is
+ present in the cache, as opposed to what is installed. (To help building a
+ complete install set for a different machine).
+ * New view - "action / category / package"
+ * New view - show installed packages only. Probably not categorised.
+ * Don't ask about the start menu or desktop options if they already exist.
+ * Save the manual proxy settings so they don't need to be retyped.
+ * Detect files in multiple packages.
+ * Show bin and src download size.
+ * Confirm cancellation of setup if in the middle of doing something.
+ * Improve mirror selection UI.
+ * Ability to "hold" the version of a package - i.e. never auto-upgrade.
diff --git a/res.rc b/res.rc
index 901cf76..82a9757 100644
@@ -265,7 +265,7 @@ BEGIN
ICON IDI_CYGWIN,IDC_SPLASH_ICON,4,6,0,0,SS_ICON | SS_REALSIZEIMAGE
LTEXT "Version (unknown)",IDC_VERSION,115,127,195,10
- LTEXT "Copyright 2000-2017",IDC_SPLASH_COPYR,115,140,195,8
+ LTEXT "Copyright 2000-2018",IDC_SPLASH_COPYR,115,140,195,8
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] only message in thread
only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-01-08 14:00 UTC | newest]
Thread overview: (only message) (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2018-01-08 14:00 [setup - the official Cygwin setup program] branch master, updated. release_2.883-3-ga6eab5a jturney
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).