On 2020-10-24 22:37, Brian Inglis wrote: > On 2020-10-24 17:50, Jon Turney wrote: >> On 25/10/2020 00:19, Brian Inglis wrote: >>> On 2020-10-24 16:21, Brian Inglis wrote: >>>> On 2020-10-24 15:42, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote: >>>>> On 10/24/2020 4:53 PM, Brian Inglis wrote: >>>>>> Do any/some/many of you use cygport ...cygport announce to generate your >>>>>> update >>>>>> announcements, and does it work successfully? >>>>> >>>>> I use it.  You have to set several SMTP_* variables in your >>>>> ~/.cygport.conf.  If >>>>> you don't already have that file, copy /etc/cygport.conf to ~/.cygport.conf and >>>>> edit it. >>>> >>>> Thanks, already set up with SMTP_SERVER=smtp which is all I need from my home >>>> ISP connection for all SMTP clients (POP3, web, mobile needs user and password). >>>> Nothing else is required (yet)! >>> >>> Hacked out the perl code into a file and got it running and failing. >>> Added Net:SMTP() Debug parameter and set it. >>> Problem is ISP SMTP MX will not accept localhost.localdomain as EHLO/HELO >>> maildomain! >> >> Whatever you are doing it spamming cygwin-announce with messages which are >> (fortunately) being held due to 'Message has implicit destination'. >> >> I rejected all the held mails, but please stop. > > Sorry about that; trying to diagnose, debug, and fix failures and content issues > with cygport ... announce; hacking without any real background knowledge of > SMTP, Perl, or cygport; still trying to track down issues with generated message > content: sorry about those that made it thru; I'll do my best to ensure future > tests are directed elsewhere. After hours of testing, nailed down cygport ... announce SMTP issues. ISP requires non-default Net::SMTP Hello parameter - localhost.localdomain is rejected - and does not allow or recognize first initial header "From " line! So we need to drop the first initial header "From " line, and pass the Hello parameter with a non-default mail domain value. Suitable mail domain values available are provided by the Net::Domain hostdomain, hostfqdn, domainname functions, or the From address domain: the attached patch uses the first and overrides with the last if available. -- Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada This email may be disturbing to some readers as it contains too much technical detail. Reader discretion is advised. [Data in binary units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]