On 1/13/2018 5:55 PM, Ken Brown wrote: > On 1/13/2018 4:29 PM, Brian Inglis wrote: >> On 2018-01-13 12:56, Ken Brown wrote: >>> 2. We should probably remove, or at least reword, the dire warning about >>> accepting the default solutions.  I'm not sure we want to "strongly >>> recommend" >>> the default solution over the other solution(s).  I guess what we >>> really want to >>> say is that we strongly recommend resolving the problems before >>> continuing. >> >> For users who only run setup and use programs, a dire warning and strong >> recommendations are appropriate. >> >> Alternatives are to also remove all packages dependent on the package >> to be >> removed, or lastly, to remove only the requested package, leaving the >> installation inconsistent. Those alternatives would have to be >> presented to the >> user for selection, then executed. >> >> Anything else requiring the user to resolve would require a FAQ entry >> explaining >> what that meant, what diagnosis and actions would be required, and >> that would >> probably generate emails from users asking what they should do. >> >> Better to allow the solver to resolve issues and just let users choose >> straightforward alternatives, with the view of trying to keep the >> installation >> consistent, unless explicitly overridden, such as to test an alternative >> implementation of a dependency installed outside of setup. > > The current situation on the topic/libsolv branch is the following. > Suppose A requires B and the user asks to uninstall B.  They will get a > problem report showing two possible solutions: > > 1. Uninstall A. > 2. (default) Don't uninstall B. > > If they uncheck 'Accept default solutions' and select 'Next', they'll > get a warning that says "We strongly recommend that you accept the > default solutions.  Some packages may not work properly if you don't. > Are you sure you want to proceed?" > > This is misleading insofar as it implies that something bad will happen > if the user prefers to solve the problem by uninstalling A.  What is > true is that some packages may not work properly if the user answers 'Yes'. > > I think we should be able to find wording that is accurate while still > making it clear that we recommend going back and fixing the problem.  I > don't yet have a good candidate for that wording. Something like the attached might do the job. Ken