public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* setup.exe looks good!
@ 2002-01-30  1:41 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-30  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I just built the latest setup.exe.  It looks really nice.  And, I see that
clickable categories are working!

Can I suggest one more GUI feature that I think has been lacking from
Categories?  (I know I said no new features but I think this is
important)

I keep meaning to suggest that we add a '+' or a '>' to the left of all
of the Categories so that it is obvious that they can be expanded.  I
think that people are used to interpreting the icon next to something as
indicating that there are more things possible to list.

Also, I thought that the Category page was supposed to automatically
expand the Categories that were installing things so that it was obvious
what was about to be downloaded.  Didn't it do that at one point.

I really like the look and feel of the new setup.exe.

Hopefully, that won't translate into it being completely incomprehensible
for everyone on the cygwin@cygwin list.

cgf

* RE: setup.exe looks good!
@ 2002-01-30  4:00 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-30  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Are they ever!  And did you catch the "replace files in use" feature?  Yeah it
makes you reboot, but still, pretty sweet.

> I keep meaning to suggest that we add a '+' or a '>' to the left of all
> of the Categories so that it is obvious that they can be expanded.  I
> think that people are used to interpreting the icon next to something as
> indicating that there are more things possible to list.

I keep meaning to suggest the same thing, and maybe even lines like you get on
most such expanding list control thingies.  But I think Rob is rolling his own
here instead of using the ListView common control (which isn't available on a
stock 95 machine AFAIK), so lines might be asking a bit much.  But I'd think
that at a minimum, simply adding a toggling +/- to the front of each category
string wouldn't be too traumatic.  Rob?

> Also, I thought that the Category page was supposed to automatically
> expand the Categories that were installing things so that it was obvious
> what was about to be downloaded.  Didn't it do that at one point.

Yeah, it did, and I thought it still did the last time I checked (like a few
days ago).  I'm resynching to CVS now, I'll rebuild it and see.  I need that
rxvt update, and of course the sweet new bazzoo release.

> I really like the look and feel of the new setup.exe.

[Cartman voice:] We're sweet.... ;-)

> Hopefully, that won't translate into it being completely incomprehensible
> for everyone on the cygwin@cygwin list.

Well, we are working hard on the mindreading mode....

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* RE: setup.exe looks good!
@ 2002-01-30  4:40   ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-30  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> > Also, I thought that the Category page was supposed to automatically
> > expand the Categories that were installing things so that it was obvious
> > what was about to be downloaded.  Didn't it do that at one point.
> >

> Yeah, it did, and I thought it still did the last time I checked (like a few
> days ago).  I'm resynching to CVS now, I'll rebuild it and see.  I need that
> rxvt update, and of course the sweet new bazzoo release.

I can confirm this isn't working anymore.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: setup.exe looks good!
@ 2002-01-30  4:45     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-30  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle, cygwin-apps

===
> > > Also, I thought that the Category page was supposed to
automatically
> > > expand the Categories that were installing things so that it was
obvious
> > > what was about to be downloaded.  Didn't it do that at one point.
> > >

> > Yeah, it did, and I thought it still did the last time I checked
(like a few
> > days ago).  I'm resynching to CVS now, I'll rebuild it and see.  I
need that
> > rxvt update, and of course the sweet new bazzoo release.
> >

> I can confirm this isn't working anymore.

What it did before was a side effect of the quick-hack categories I put
in place. Now that the display,tree and data are all somewhat separated,
there is no 'addition' taking place when dependent packages where
selected.

So actual code to do it needs to be written... which I'll leave as an
excercise for the reader.

Rob

* Re: setup.exe looks good!
@ 2002-01-30  4:50   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-30  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle, cygwin-apps

===
> > I just built the latest setup.exe.  It looks really nice.  And, I
see that
> > clickable categories are working!
>
> Are they ever!  And did you catch the "replace files in use" feature?
Yeah it
> makes you reboot, but still, pretty sweet.

*Bow*. I still ain't heard boo from any win9x users. Anyone that can lay
hand on a 9x machine and test this *before* we release the updated
version, would be doing me a favour.

> I keep meaning to suggest the same thing, and maybe even lines like
you get on
> most such expanding list control thingies.  But I think Rob is rolling
his own
> here instead of using the ListView common control (which isn't
available on a
> stock 95 machine AFAIK), so lines might be asking a bit much.  But I'd
think
> that at a minimum, simply adding a toggling +/- to the front of each
category
> string wouldn't be too traumatic.  Rob?

Listviews aren't hierarchical. Treeviews suck. So C++ to the rescue. I
may wrap the end result in window messages at some point, but not being
a win32 windowing API wizzzard thats a low priority. As for
requirements, 95 +IE 4 is the minimum, and that wouldn't be a
showstopper IMO (but the functionality is :})

> > Hopefully, that won't translate into it being completely
incomprehensible
> > for everyone on the cygwin@cygwin list.
>
> Well, we are working hard on the mindreading mode....

Shh! Be veri veri quite. I'm hunting rabbit.

Rob

* Re: setup.exe looks good!
@ 2002-01-30  7:54 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-30  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

===
> I just built the latest setup.exe.  It looks really nice.  And, I see
that
> clickable categories are working!

:]. It happens, bit by bit.

> Can I suggest one more GUI feature that I think has been lacking from
> Categories?  (I know I said no new features but I think this is
> important)

I have a huge checkin that is going in sooon, and will be the last
before I tag  it in CVS. Bugfixes only from that point on.

> I keep meaning to suggest that we add a '+' or a '>' to the left of
all
> of the Categories so that it is obvious that they can be expanded.  I
> think that people are used to interpreting the icon next to something
as
> indicating that there are more things possible to list.

Done.

> Hopefully, that won't translate into it being completely
incomprehensible
> for everyone on the cygwin@cygwin list.

Heh. Don't mention the war :}.

Rob