public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] fish shell 2.1.0
@ 2013-10-28 18:31 Konrad Borowski
From: Konrad Borowski @ 2013-10-28 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hello. I would like to add fish shell to Cygwin. It's already available
in Ubuntu and Debian. The 2.1.0 adds support for Cygwin, so I assume
it's good occasion to actually send the package.

  http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fish
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=fish

This is my first time making package using cygport, so feel free to let
me know in case something is wrong.

All files are available at the following location (in both 32-bit and
64-bit versions, 32-bit was cross compiled, as I don't have 32-bit
Windows).

  http://olive.undo.it/fish/

The setup.hint is identical in both versions and looks like this.

category: Shells
requires: libgcc1 libiconv2 libintl8 libncursesw10 libstdc++6 python
libgcc1 libiconv2 libintl8 libncursesw10 libstdc++6 python libncursesw
libiconv util-linux coreutils
sdesc: "The friendly interactive shell"
ldesc: "The friendly interactive shell (fish) is a Unix shell that
focuses on interactive use, discoverability, and user friendliness. The
design
goal of fish is to give the user a rich set of powerful features in a
way that
is easy to discover, remember, and use."

* Re: [ITP] fish shell 2.1.0
@ 2013-10-29  9:12 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-10-29  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Konrad,

thanks for the new package ITP.  Comments inline.

On Oct 28 19:31, Konrad Borowski wrote:
> Hello. I would like to add fish shell to Cygwin. It's already available
> in Ubuntu and Debian. The 2.1.0 adds support for Cygwin, so I assume
> it's good occasion to actually send the package.
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fish
>   http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=fish
>
> This is my first time making package using cygport, so feel free to let
> me know in case something is wrong.
>
> All files are available at the following location (in both 32-bit and
> 64-bit versions, 32-bit was cross compiled, as I don't have 32-bit
> Windows).

You can install a 32 bit version of Cygwin nevertheless, that's what
we all did before the 64 bit Cygwin version existed.  That allows
users of 64 bit machines to build both, 32 and 64 bit versions natively.

>   http://olive.undo.it/fish/

Would you mind to give us lazy people the full paths to the files
in a way which is easy to use with wget?  Thanks.

> The setup.hint is identical in both versions and looks like this.
>
> category: Shells
> requires: libgcc1 libiconv2 libintl8 libncursesw10 libstdc++6 python
> libgcc1 libiconv2 libintl8 libncursesw10 libstdc++6 python libncursesw
> libiconv util-linux coreutils

The requires is wrong.  It contains a couple of entries twice.  The
problem is that you added

  REQUIRES="libgcc1 libiconv2 libintl8 libncursesw10 libstdc++6 python \
  libncursesw libiconv util-linux coreutils"

to your cygport file.  REQUIRES should only contain requirements which
are not added automatically by cygport.  There's also no such package
called libncursesw or libiconv.  Something like this seems more
appropriate:

  REQUIRES="util-linux coreutils"

Your setup.hint files are not identical, btw.  Your setup.hint file for
the 32 bit version contains a dependency to cygwin32-gcc-core.  This is
a result of the cross compile and should get manually removed.

Other than that, packaging looks good to me.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: [ITP] fish shell 2.1.0
@ 2013-10-29 14:31   ` Konrad Borowski
From: Konrad Borowski @ 2013-10-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Konrad,
>
> thanks for the new package ITP.  Comments inline.

Thanks for pointing out the problems. I believe problems you have found
out are now fixed. I had problems with 32-bit Cygwin (to be exact, with
compilation on it, the package itself appears to work), so I hope it's
not a problem that the package contains cross compiled version with
cygwin32-gcc-core dependency removed. As for links, I'm going to include
them now. I don't know if the format is correct, but I believe it can be
fixed with a simple regular expression if it's not.

  http://olive.undo.it/fish/32/fish-2.1.0-1.tar.xz
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/32/fish-2.1.0-1-src.tar.xz
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/32/setup.hint
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/32/fish-debuginfo/fish-debuginfo-2.1.0-1.tar.xz
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/32/fish-debuginfo/setup.hint

  http://olive.undo.it/fish/64/fish-2.1.0-1.tar.xz
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/64/fish-2.1.0-1-src.tar.xz
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/64/setup.hint
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/64/fish-debuginfo/fish-debuginfo-2.1.0-1.tar.xz
  http://olive.undo.it/fish/64/fish-debuginfo/setup.hint

* Re: [ITP] fish shell 2.1.0
@ 2013-10-29 17:53     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-10-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Oct 29 15:31, Konrad Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Hi Konrad,
> >
> > thanks for the new package ITP.  Comments inline.
>
> Thanks for pointing out the problems. I believe problems you have found
> out are now fixed. I had problems with 32-bit Cygwin (to be exact, with
> compilation on it, the package itself appears to work), so I hope it's

What problems?  Usually, if the cross-compiler built the package but
the native one doesn't, you have probably just forgotten to install some
of the required -devel packages or so.

> not a problem that the package contains cross compiled version with
> cygwin32-gcc-core dependency removed. As for links, I'm going to include

One problem with this approach is that you can't be sure that cygport
got all the right packages.  For instance, libgcc1 is often required by
a 32 bit package while it isn't for the 64 bit package.

Oh, I just saw some other small problem (sorry!).  You're using the
current cygport style, but file is called "fish-2.1.0-1.cygport", which
you should only do when using the old cygport style.  These days, with
all the VERSION, RELEASE, etc information present *in* the file, just
call it "fish.cygport".

Hmm, your "DEPEND" requires libiconv-devel, but on 32 bit it's all in
the libiconv package.  I changed that to

  if [ "${ARCH}" = "x86_64" ]
  then
    DEPEND="autoconf gcc-g++ make libncursesw-devel libiconv-devel gettext-devel"
  else
    DEPEND="autoconf gcc-g++ make libncursesw-devel libiconv gettext-devel"
  fi

which avoids the warning.

[...more time passes...]

ncurses.h not found.  That's because you must add the include and lib
paths to ncursesw to your build.  I added

  export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/ncursesw"
  export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/ncursesw"

before calling

  cygconf
  cygmake

and now it builds.

Do you want to try again?

@ 2013-10-29 17:57       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-10-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Since this is converging on a release of fish, don't forget to
provide upload information at some point:

https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html

* Re: [ITP] fish shell 2.1.0
@ 2013-10-29 20:35         ` Konrad Borowski
From: Konrad Borowski @ 2013-10-29 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 06:57 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Since this is converging on a release of fish, don't forget to
> provide upload information at some point:
>
> https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html

I'm not sure. Does my package to be accepted first? Well, I assume that
sending a thread to the group cannot hurt, can it?

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013, at 06:53 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Do you want to try again?

I guess I should, now that I went so far. Thanks for hint about LDFLAGS
(I already tried changing CPPFLAGS, but failed because I forgot about
LDFLAGS). The locations are the same as before.

@ 2013-10-30  9:41           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-10-30  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps