public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-12 18:12 Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-12 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

 Hello everybody!

 I  have read the headsup message. Sorry for so much time passed, this
was  for  various  reasons... I became inactive in all my projects, i
get tired at work and just don't want to do anything after it. ;)
 But you're right, it's time to finally finish it. So, this  is try #2, i hope
everything will be okay now. I remember, there was a problem with version number,
i have fixed it.

The package URL is:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s95jz1ql5xs8yx7/AAAWsgZPMmDdqfsGrDU5jj1ia

 This is also a second attempt to post this message. Can anybody check
the SMTP server at sourceware.org ? It tends to reject my messages as
spam.

--
Kind regards,
 Pavel                          mailto:pavel_fedin@mail.ru

[-- Attachment #2: setup.hint --]
[-- Type: APPLICATION/OCTET-STREAM, Size: 390 bytes --]

category: Net Devel
requires: libtirpc-devel libgcc1
sdesc: "An ONC RPC protocol development files"
ldesc: "This package contains rpcgen, source code generator for creating
remote procedure call servers and clients from a protocol specification.
Additionally it contains header files for several standard RPC services.
This implementation is derived from the libc/sunrpc/ code in eglibc."

* Re: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-13  8:19 ` Corinna Vinschen
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-13  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Pavel,

On Aug 12 22:12, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>  Hello everybody!
>
>  I  have read the headsup message. Sorry for so much time passed, this
> was  for  various  reasons... I became inactive in all my projects, i
> get tired at work and just don't want to do anything after it. ;)
>  But you're right, it's time to finally finish it. So, this  is try #2, i hope
> everything will be okay now. I remember, there was a problem with version number,
> i have fixed it.
>
> The package URL is:
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s95jz1ql5xs8yx7/AAAWsgZPMmDdqfsGrDU5jj1ia

I had a look into your package.  Packaging looks ok in theory, but
you're using the old cygport layout.  Rather than creating a cygport
file with the version encoded in the filename:

  onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1.cygport

you could ease the job by renaming the cygport file to the package name
only:

  onc-rpc-devel.cygport

and adding the complete information, including the info for the
setup.hint file (which is missing, btw) to the start of the cygport
file:

  NAME="onc-rpc-devel"
  VERSION="2.19_20140211"
  RELEASE=1
  CATEGORY="Devel"  # for instance
  SUMMARY="This is the sdesc text for setup.hint"
  DESCRIPTION="This is the ldesc text for setup.hint"

The setup.hint file will get auto-generated then, you don't have to
maintain it outside the cygport file.

I'm also a bit puzzled about the onc_rpc_download function.

There's SVN support inside of cygport, see the "inherit svn" chapter in
/usr/share/doc/cygport/manual.html.  In theory you should be able to
support the default

  cygport onc-rpc-devel.cygport download

command by just giving all svn sources in SVN_URI, using the `inherit
svn' statement.  The xgettext calls to create the translation files
would better belong into the Makefile at compile or install time.

Having said all that, the package still looks ok.  If you're more
comfortable with the status quo of the cygport file, it's GTG.  But it
would be nice if you could look into creating another cygport file
supporting the default cygport download command, at least when you
create the next version.

However, IIUC, this package would be 64 bit only right now, because it
collides with the sunrpc package on 32 bit.  Since Chuck Wilson went
AWOL, the sunrpc package is now orphaned.

What's missing is a plan how to go forward for 32 bit now.  Would you be
willing to take over the orphaned sunrpc package and put it into it's
deserved shallow grave, replacing it with the onc rpc packages as
required?

>  This is also a second attempt to post this message. Can anybody check
> the SMTP server at sourceware.org ? It tends to reject my messages as
> spam.

HTML?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-13 18:55   ` Pavel Fedin
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-13 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Hello, Corinna.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 12:19:06 you wrote:

> you could ease the job by renaming the cygport file to the package name
> only:

>   onc-rpc-devel.cygport

> and adding the complete information, including the info for the
> setup.hint file (which is missing, btw) to the start of the cygport
> file:

[skip]

> The setup.hint file will get auto-generated then, you don't have to
> maintain it outside the cygport file.

 Very nice. I like this idea much more.

> I'm also a bit puzzled about the onc_rpc_download function.

> There's SVN support inside of cygport, see the "inherit svn" chapter in
> /usr/share/doc/cygport/manual.html.  In theory you should be able to
> support the default

>   cygport onc-rpc-devel.cygport download

 I  have  inherited  this function from old rpcgen package. I'm also a
bit incomfortable with this, but if you take a closer look, it doesn't
just  download  the  SVN tree. It downloads two trees (main source and
manual  pages) and extracts parts from them. It is possible to do this
using 'inherit svn' method ?

> What's missing is a plan how to go forward for 32 bit now.  Would you be
> willing to take over the orphaned sunrpc package and put it into it's
> deserved shallow grave, replacing it with the onc rpc packages as
> required?

 Actually,  this  was,  and still is, my long-term plan. But, all this
stuff  is  actually  needed  for  NFS  server  to  work.  In  order to
transplant  it to new TI-RPC, portmap has to be replaced with rpcbind.
So  this  will  be  my  next  package.  Also,  NFS server by itself is
outdated,  not  maintained  any  more,  and supports only v2 protocol.
I  have  found a better replacement at sourceforge, but haven't tested
it yet.
 I want to set up all three things, then at once replace the whole NFS
stack on 32 bits. It is technically possible to make 32-bit version of
onc-rpc right now, but it will break NFS dependencies.

>>  This is also a second attempt to post this message. Can anybody check
>> the SMTP server at sourceware.org ? It tends to reject my messages as
>> spam.

> HTML?

 Should not be, i always use plain text.
 By  the  way, has anybody seen my SSH key yet ? I have posted it, and
looks like it even bounced back from the list, but got no single reply.

--

@ 2014-08-13 19:16     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-13 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 13 22:50, Pavel Fedin wrote:
> Hello, Corinna.
>
> Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 12:19:06 you wrote:
>
> > you could ease the job by renaming the cygport file to the package name
> > only:
>
> >   onc-rpc-devel.cygport
>
> > and adding the complete information, including the info for the
> > setup.hint file (which is missing, btw) to the start of the cygport
> > file:
>
> [skip]
>
> > The setup.hint file will get auto-generated then, you don't have to
> > maintain it outside the cygport file.
>
>  Very nice. I like this idea much more.
>
> > I'm also a bit puzzled about the onc_rpc_download function.
>
> > There's SVN support inside of cygport, see the "inherit svn" chapter in
> > /usr/share/doc/cygport/manual.html.  In theory you should be able to
> > support the default
>
> >   cygport onc-rpc-devel.cygport download
>
>  I  have  inherited  this function from old rpcgen package. I'm also a
> bit incomfortable with this, but if you take a closer look, it doesn't
> just  download  the  SVN tree. It downloads two trees (main source and
> manual  pages) and extracts parts from them. It is possible to do this
> using 'inherit svn' method ?

You can checkout multiple packages with SVN_URI.  I'm not aware of
a method to delete bits of the repo after download though.  You also
might having to tweak your paths a bit.

> > What's missing is a plan how to go forward for 32 bit now.  Would you be
> > willing to take over the orphaned sunrpc package and put it into it's
> > deserved shallow grave, replacing it with the onc rpc packages as
> > required?
>
>  Actually,  this  was,  and still is, my long-term plan. But, all this
> stuff  is  actually  needed  for  NFS  server  to  work.  In  order to
> transplant  it to new TI-RPC, portmap has to be replaced with rpcbind.
> So  this  will  be  my  next  package.  Also,  NFS server by itself is
> outdated,  not  maintained  any  more,  and supports only v2 protocol.
> I  have  found a better replacement at sourceforge, but haven't tested
> it yet.
>  I want to set up all three things, then at once replace the whole NFS
> stack on 32 bits. It is technically possible to make 32-bit version of
> onc-rpc right now, but it will break NFS dependencies.

Sounds fantastic to me.

> >>  This is also a second attempt to post this message. Can anybody check
> >> the SMTP server at sourceware.org ? It tends to reject my messages as
> >> spam.
>
> > HTML?
>
>  Should not be, i always use plain text.
>  By  the  way, has anybody seen my SSH key yet ? I have posted it, and
> looks like it even bounced back from the list, but got no single reply.

The spam filter also blocks raw mail addresses, albeit not reliably, it
seems.  You should remove the `mailto:' entry from your sig (or use
something like `pavel_fedin AT mail DOT ru' instead) and try again.

@ 2014-08-14  6:11   ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-14  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

 Hello!

>   NAME="onc-rpc-devel"
>   VERSION="2.19_20140211"
>   RELEASE=1
>   CATEGORY="Devel"  # for instance
>   SUMMARY="This is the sdesc text for setup.hint"
>   DESCRIPTION="This is the ldesc text for setup.hint"
>
> The setup.hint file will get auto-generated then, you don't have to
> maintain it outside the cygport file.

 I have just tried to do this, but here is what i get from cygport onc-rpc-devel.cygport package':

--- cut ---
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/optparse.rb:214:in `gm': time out of range (ArgumentError)
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/optparse.rb:214:in `<class:OptionParser>'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/optparse.rb:210:in `<top (required)>'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command_manager.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:8:in `<top (required)>'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
        from /usr/bin/gem:9:in `<main>'
>>> onc-rpc-devel requires: libintl8
--- cut ---

 And in 'dist' subdirectory nothing is created. Looks like there's some problem with Ruby. Can anybody help ?

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia

* Re: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-14  6:21     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-08-14  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 14/08/2014 08:11, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>   Hello!
>

>>    NAME="onc-rpc-devel"
>>    VERSION="2.19_20140211"
>>    RELEASE=1
>>    CATEGORY="Devel"  # for instance
>>    SUMMARY="This is the sdesc text for setup.hint"
>>    DESCRIPTION="This is the ldesc text for setup.hint"
>>
>> The setup.hint file will get auto-generated then, you don't have to
>> maintain it outside the cygport file.
>
>   I have just tried to do this, but here is what i get from cygport onc-rpc-devel.cygport package':
>
> --- cut ---
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/optparse.rb:214:in `gm': time out of range (ArgumentError)
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/optparse.rb:214:in `<class:OptionParser>'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/optparse.rb:210:in `<top (required)>'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/command_manager.rb:7:in `<top (required)>'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:8:in `<top (required)>'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
>          from /usr/bin/gem:9:in `<main>'
> --- cut ---
>
>   And in 'dist' subdirectory nothing is created. Looks like there's some problem with Ruby. Can anybody help ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Pavel Fedin

Hi Pavel,
can you share the onc-rpc-devel.cygport ?
I assume you already have the " inherit ruby" command in it, correct ?

Regards
Marco

* RE: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-14  6:54   ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-14  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

 Hello!

 I have worked around the problem with Ruby gem just by renaming 'gem' script. Looks like gem is broken on Cygwin.
 I have updated my Dropbox folder, and here is forgotten setup.hint.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia

[-- Attachment #2: setup.hint --]

category: Devel
requires: libintl8
sdesc: "An ONC RPC development files"

@ 2014-08-14  7:13       ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-14  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marco Atzeri', cygwin-apps

 Hello!

> can you share the onc-rpc-devel.cygport ?
> I assume you already have the " inherit ruby" command in it, correct ?

 No, i don't. Here it is.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia

[-- Attachment #2: onc-rpc-devel.cygport --]

NAME="onc-rpc-devel"
VERSION="2.19_20140211"
RELEASE=1
CATEGORY="Devel"
SUMMARY="An ONC RPC development files"
DESCRIPTION="This package contains rpcgen, source code generator for creating
remote procedure call servers and clients from a protocol specification.
Additionally it contains header files for several standard RPC services.
This implementation is derived from the libc/sunrpc/ code in eglibc."
HOMEPAGE="n/a"
SRC_URI="${PN}-${PV}.tar.xz"

MAN_FILE=rpcgen.1
MAN_URL='svn://anonscm.debian.org/svn/pkg-glibc/glibc-package/trunk/debian/local/manpages'
VER_FILE=version.h
SRCFILES="rpc_scan.h    rpc_scan.c
	  rpc_util.h    rpc_util.c
	  rpc_parse.h   rpc_parse.c
	  rpc_cout.c    rpc_hout.c  rpc_svcout.c  rpc_clntout.c  rpc_tblout.c
	  rpc_sample.c  rpc_main.c
	  proto.h       etc.rpc     rpcsvc"
SVNURL='svn://svn.eglibc.org/trunk/libc/'
SVNDATE=20140211

onc_rpc_download () {
	mkdir -p "${T}/${PN}-${PV}"
	cd "${T}/${PN}-${PV}"
	rm -rf *

	inform "Using SVN to get man pages from debian"
	svn co --non-recursive -r "{${SVNDATE}}" "${MAN_URL}"

	inform "Using SVN to get toplevel sourcecode from eglibc, part 1"
	svn co --non-recursive -r "{${SVNDATE}}" "${SVNURL}" svn
	inform "Using SVN to get sunrpc sourcecode from eglibc, part 2"
	svn co -r "{${SVNDATE}}" "${SVNURL}/sunrpc" svn/sunrpc
	inform "Using SVN to get translations from eglibc, part 3"
	svn co -r "{${SVNDATE}}" "${SVNURL}/po" svn/po

	inform "Extracting rpcgen files..."
	for f in ${SRCFILES}
	do
		mv svn/sunrpc/$f .
	done
	mv svn/${VER_FILE} .
	mv manpages/${MAN_FILE} .

	inform "Preparing translation files..."
	mkdir po
	xgettext -k_ *.c -o po/rpcgen.pot
	POFILES=`cd svn/po; ls *.po`
	for f in ${POFILES}
	do
		msgmerge -o po/$f svn/po/$f po/rpcgen.pot
	done

	inform "Creating tarball"
	rm -rf svn manpages
	cd "${T}"
	tar -cvJf "${top}/${PN}-${PV}.tar.xz" "${PN}-${PV}"
}

src_compile () {
  	lndirs
	cd ${B}
	cygmake
}

src_install () {
	cd ${B}
	cyginstall
	make_etc_defaults /etc/rpc

* Re: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-14  9:26     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-14  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi Pavel,

On Aug 14 10:54, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>  Hello!
>
>  I have worked around the problem with Ruby gem just by renaming 'gem' script. Looks like gem is broken on Cygwin.
>  I have updated my Dropbox folder, and here is forgotten setup.hint.

Your build has a tiny problem:

  rpcgen -C -h rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.x -o rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.h
  make: rpcgen: Command not found

The Makefile apparently expects that rpcgen can be found in $PATH,
but "." is not part of $PATH by default.  Your Makefile should call
rpcgen with prefix as in "./rpcgen" to work reliably.

Care to fix this before uploading?

@ 2014-08-14 10:10       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-14 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 14 11:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> On Aug 14 10:54, Pavel Fedin wrote:
> >  Hello!
> >
> >  I have worked around the problem with Ruby gem just by renaming 'gem' script. Looks like gem is broken on Cygwin.
> >  I have updated my Dropbox folder, and here is forgotten setup.hint.
>
> Your build has a tiny problem:
>
>   rpcgen -C -h rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.x -o rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.h
>   make: rpcgen: Command not found
>
> The Makefile apparently expects that rpcgen can be found in $PATH,
> but "." is not part of $PATH by default.  Your Makefile should call
> rpcgen with prefix as in "./rpcgen" to work reliably.
>
> Care to fix this before uploading?

Btw., after fixing this locally, the full build including installation
and packaging worked fine.  No problems with gem.

@ 2014-08-14 11:06         ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-14 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

 Hello!

> > Your build has a tiny problem:
> >
> >   rpcgen -C -h rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.x -o rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.h
> >   make: rpcgen: Command not found
> >
> > The Makefile apparently expects that rpcgen can be found in $PATH,

 Thank you, fixed. Now it just calls ./rpcgen, which is just built.

> Btw., after fixing this locally, the full build including installation
> and packaging worked fine.  No problems with gem.

 Perhaps you don't have Ruby and gem installed ? These are optional, and cygport behaves correctly if there's no gem.
 I have learned on the Internet that gem is a package manager for Ruby. On my system simply running it produces the same result. Perhaps some problem with Ruby.

@ 2014-08-14 11:35           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-14 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 14 15:06, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>  Hello!
>
> > > Your build has a tiny problem:
> > >
> > >   rpcgen -C -h rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.x -o rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.h
> > >   make: rpcgen: Command not found
> > >
> > > The Makefile apparently expects that rpcgen can be found in $PATH,
>
>  Thank you, fixed. Now it just calls ./rpcgen, which is just built.
>
> > Btw., after fixing this locally, the full build including installation
> > and packaging worked fine.  No problems with gem.
>
>  Perhaps you don't have Ruby and gem installed ? These are optional, and cygport behaves correctly if there's no gem.
>  I have learned on the Internet that gem is a package manager for Ruby. On my system simply running it produces the same result. Perhaps some problem with Ruby.

No, I have ruby and gem installed.  Works still fine for me.

@ 2014-08-14 14:35             ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-14 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

 Hello!

> No, I have ruby and gem installed.  Works still fine for me.

 Just installed i386 version of Ruby, indeed works fine.
 Perhaps this happens because i use older cygwin1.dll. If you remember, i reported about memory trashing with newer DLL, but nobody could reproduce it, and i could not find time to fix it.

@ 2014-08-14 16:01               ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-14 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 18:35 +0400, Pavel Fedin wrote:
> > No, I have ruby and gem installed.  Works still fine for me.
>
>  Just installed i386 version of Ruby, indeed works fine.

The Cygwin gem command itself is working just fine.  Are you, or were
you, trying to use a Windows version of ruby, or did you have such first
in your PATH?  That wouldn't work.

Yaakov

* Re: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-08-14 19:14   ` Pavel Fedin
From: Pavel Fedin @ 2014-08-14 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Hello!

 I have uploaded the package. Hopefully i've done everything right, and
it  will  appear on the list. If so, what should i do in order to tell
that  it  supersedes rpcgen ? IIRC something has to be done manually ?
Or should i upload "-rpcgen*" file ?

--
Kind regards,
 Pavel

* Re: [ITP] onc-rpc-devel-2.19_20140211-1
@ 2014-08-14 19:46     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 14 23:14, Pavel Fedin wrote:
> Hello!
>
>  I have uploaded the package. Hopefully i've done everything right, and
> it  will  appear on the list. If so, what should i do in order to tell
> that  it  supersedes rpcgen ? IIRC something has to be done manually ?
> Or should i upload "-rpcgen*" file ?

Since this is a 64 bit only package, you should say so in the announcement
to the cygwin-announce mailing list.  Just  explain what it is and that
the 32 bit package will replace the rpcgen package soon.

@ 2014-08-14 22:46     ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-14 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 2014-08-14 at 23:14 +0400, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>  I have uploaded the package. Hopefully i've done everything right, and
> it  will  appear on the list. If so, what should i do in order to tell
> that  it  supersedes rpcgen ? IIRC something has to be done manually ?
> Or should i upload "-rpcgen*" file ?

Add the following line to your onc-rpc-devel.cygport:

OBSOLETES=rpcgen

This will add a dummy rpcgen subpackage and a special setup.hint which
will cause users with rpcgen installed to be automatically upgraded to
onc-rpc-devel.

HTH,

Yaakov