public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* readline package rename question
@ 2015-01-27  4:28 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2015-01-27  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I'm attempting to upload a new version of readline 6.3.  However, the
32-bit version named the devel package 'readline' 6.1 (the
release/readline/setup.hint describes a direct package for headers and
such, and release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint describes the dlls),
while the 64-bit version 6.2 (still sitting at the version built by
Yaakov when 64-bit first came out) chose a different layout
(release/readline/setup.hint contains only 'skip:',
release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint is identical, and
release/readline/libreadline-devel/setup.hint contains the headers and
such).

I'd like to unify the naming, and like the idea of libreadline-devel
(instead of plain 'readline').  For 64-bit, this is easy - just stick
with the naming we've always used.  But for 32-bit, it means I'd want
the existing name of 'readline' to use 'requires: libreadline-devel' so
that people get the upgraded package.  How do I do that?  Do I have
release/readline/setup.hint contain just 'skip:' as in 64-bit, and then
add release/_obsolete/readline/setup.hint that has the right 'requires:
libreadline-devel', or does that throw off upset to have two different
locations containing a setup.hint for readline?

Also, I probably want to leave readline 6.3 in test until I have the
matching bash 4.3 built and tested with it (it's a core enough library
that I don't want to destabilize the distro by promoting my new build to
current too soon).  What implications does this have to the
readline->libreadline-devel rename?

* Re: readline package rename question
@ 2015-01-27  8:58 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-01-27  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jan 26 21:28, Eric Blake wrote:
> I'm attempting to upload a new version of readline 6.3.  However, the
> 32-bit version named the devel package 'readline' 6.1 (the
> release/readline/setup.hint describes a direct package for headers and
> such, and release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint describes the dlls),
> while the 64-bit version 6.2 (still sitting at the version built by
> Yaakov when 64-bit first came out) chose a different layout
> (release/readline/setup.hint contains only 'skip:',
> release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint is identical, and
> release/readline/libreadline-devel/setup.hint contains the headers and
> such).
>
> I'd like to unify the naming, and like the idea of libreadline-devel
> (instead of plain 'readline').  For 64-bit, this is easy - just stick
> with the naming we've always used.  But for 32-bit, it means I'd want
> the existing name of 'readline' to use 'requires: libreadline-devel' so
> that people get the upgraded package.  How do I do that?  Do I have
> release/readline/setup.hint contain just 'skip:' as in 64-bit, and then
> add release/_obsolete/readline/setup.hint that has the right 'requires:
> libreadline-devel', or does that throw off upset to have two different
> locations containing a setup.hint for readline?

Sounds dangerous.  What about this.  Remove the oldest readline-6.0.3-2
entirely.  Rebuild readline-6.1.2 as readline-6.1.2-4, which takes over
the layout of the 64 bit version.  Set its setup.hint to requires
libreadline-devel.  Then add the new readline package with the new
layout as test package.  That should cover all bases.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: readline package rename question
@ 2015-01-27 17:57 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-01-27 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 21:28 -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> I'm attempting to upload a new version of readline 6.3.  However, the
> 32-bit version named the devel package 'readline' 6.1 (the
> release/readline/setup.hint describes a direct package for headers and
> such, and release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint describes the dlls),
> while the 64-bit version 6.2 (still sitting at the version built by
> Yaakov when 64-bit first came out) chose a different layout
> (release/readline/setup.hint contains only 'skip:',
> release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint is identical, and
> release/readline/libreadline-devel/setup.hint contains the headers and
> such).
>
> I'd like to unify the naming, and like the idea of libreadline-devel
> (instead of plain 'readline').  For 64-bit, this is easy - just stick
> with the naming we've always used.  But for 32-bit, it means I'd want
> the existing name of 'readline' to use 'requires: libreadline-devel' so
> that people get the upgraded package.  How do I do that?

CATEGORY="Libs"
PKG_NAMES="readline libreadline7 libreadline-devel"
readline_CATEGORY="_obsolete"
readline_REQUIRES="libreadline-devel"
readline_CONTENTS= # empty
libreadline7_CONTENTS="usr/bin/cygreadline7.dll ... "
libreadline_devel_CONTENTS="usr/include/ usr/lib/lib* ... "

> Also, I probably want to leave readline 6.3 in test until I have the
> matching bash 4.3 built and tested with it (it's a core enough library
> that I don't want to destabilize the distro by promoting my new build to
> current too soon).  What implications does this have to the
> readline->libreadline-devel rename?

I would hold off the change until you're ready to make this stable.

--
Yaakov