public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Updating glib2.0
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 22:29:50 -0400	[thread overview]

On 5/28/2020 7:20 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> 1. It's probably unrealistic to expect someone to adopt all the GNOME
>> components.  If such a person existed, I think we would have heard from
>> him/her by now.
>
> Ideally that person would have some ties into the upstream development community
> as well.  It might be worth asking there directly if anybody has any points of
> contact already (I don't).

I'm pretty sure there's no one there (or at least no one who works on glib) who
understands Cygwin.  For years, Yaakov has used a "Cygwin is not win32" patch in
his Cygwin build of glib2.0.  About a year ago someone noticed this and patched
the glib sources in an effort to capture the intent of Yaakov's patch.  (They
didn't just apply his patch!)  They didn't get it quite right, but they made
progress, and the corresponding patch needed today is much smaller than the old one.

My point here is that whoever made this change had good intentions but is not
qualified to be a Cygwin maintainer, even if they wanted to be.  And no one else
has touched that code.

>> 2. I'm willing to adopt various components on an as-needed basis.  For
>> example, since I want to update gimp and it needs an updated glib2.0, I'm
>> willing to adopt the latter and update it to its latest release. I've just
>> started working on it and discovered that it needs an updated gtk-doc, so I'll
>> plan on adopting that too.
>
> I think the current way of adopting as needed and then immediately letting it
> fall into orphaned status again is better than doing nothing, but eventually
> we'll run into troublöe with that model.

If I were to adopt some of these packages, I would do it with the intention of
keeping them up to date.  But I'll wait to hear from Yaakov.  If he thinks it's
better to keep the GNOME components at their current state until someone is
willing to adopt all of them, I'll go along with that.

Ken