public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-22  4:32 Stipe Tolj
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2002-01-22  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ok, this one is quite missing in my eyes and it was almost OOTB.

Check it out at the (now new) usual location:
http://apache.dev.wapme.net/support/cygwin-packages/

setup.hint:

sdesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS)"
ldesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple
revisions of files. RCS automates the storing, retrieval,
logging, identification, and merging of revisions. RCS is
useful for text that is revised frequently, e.g., programs,
documentation, graphics, papers, and form letters."
category: Devel
requires: cygwin
curr: 5.7

Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
wapme.net - wherever you are

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-22  4:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-22  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:11:50PM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> Ok, this one is quite missing in my eyes and it was almost OOTB.

Thanks, I'm going to look into this tomorrow.

Corinna

> Check it out at the (now new) usual location:
> http://apache.dev.wapme.net/support/cygwin-packages/
>
> setup.hint:
>
> sdesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS)"
> ldesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple
> revisions of files. RCS automates the storing, retrieval,
> logging, identification, and merging of revisions. RCS is
> useful for text that is revised frequently, e.g., programs,
> documentation, graphics, papers, and form letters."
> category: Devel
> requires: cygwin
> curr: 5.7
>

> Stipe
>
> tolj@wapme-systems.de
> Wapme Systems AG
>
> Münsterstr. 248
> 40470 Düsseldorf
>
> Tel: +49-211-74845-0
> Fax: +49-211-74845-299
>
> E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
> Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de
> wapme.net - wherever you are

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-22  8:24   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2002-01-22  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Hmm...  OOTB?  Did you take care to test it?  In the past there've been
issues with the way files are left opened while the temp files are being
copied over them.  That doesn't work with Win32 and therefore Cygwin.
With CVS already working do we need RCS?

Earnie.

@ 2002-01-22  9:17     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-22  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Hmm...  OOTB?  Did you take care to test it?  In the past there've been
> issues with the way files are left opened while the temp files are being
> copied over them.  That doesn't work with Win32 and therefore Cygwin.
> With CVS already working do we need RCS?

Sure -- let a thousand flowers bloom.  Besides, there are some client
applications that expect to use RCS as the backend, not CVS.

I'm more worried about the text/binary issues -- especially mixtures.
E.g. if the revision files are stored on a binary mount, but the working
files are stored on text mounts -- or vice versa.  Do things still work?
  (AFAIRC, even CVS still has difficulty with this)

--Chuck

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-22 13:10 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:11:50PM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>Ok, this one is quite missing in my eyes and it was almost OOTB.
>
>Check it out at the (now new) usual location:
>http://apache.dev.wapme.net/support/cygwin-packages/
>
>setup.hint:
>
>sdesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS)"
>ldesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple
>revisions of files. RCS automates the storing, retrieval,
>logging, identification, and merging of revisions. RCS is
>useful for text that is revised frequently, e.g., programs,
>documentation, graphics, papers, and form letters."
>category: Devel
>requires: cygwin
>curr: 5.7
 ^^^^^^^^

Get rid of this.

(beep)

cgf

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-22 13:10       ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-01-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:36:15AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > With CVS already working do we need RCS?
>
> Sure -- let a thousand flowers bloom.  Besides, there are some client
> applications that expect to use RCS as the backend, not CVS.

I vote "yes" for this package too.

Jason

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-22 13:11         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-22 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-Apps

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:22:33PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:36:15AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> > With CVS already working do we need RCS?
>>
>> Sure -- let a thousand flowers bloom.  Besides, there are some client
>> applications that expect to use RCS as the backend, not CVS.
>
>I vote "yes" for this package too.

Ditto.

cgf

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-23 10:28 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-23 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:11:50PM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> Ok, this one is quite missing in my eyes and it was almost OOTB.
>
> Check it out at the (now new) usual location:
> http://apache.dev.wapme.net/support/cygwin-packages/
>
> setup.hint:
>
> sdesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS)"
> ldesc: "The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple
> revisions of files. RCS automates the storing, retrieval,
> logging, identification, and merging of revisions. RCS is
> useful for text that is revised frequently, e.g., programs,
> documentation, graphics, papers, and form letters."
> category: Devel
> requires: cygwin

It looks ok except for two points:

> curr: 5.7

  ^^^^^^^^^
- Get rid of this in the setup.hint file.

- Repack the source archive so that it unpacks into rcs-5.7-1
  instead of rcs-5.7.  Always add the Cygwin subversion to the
  directory name.

As soon as you did that I'll upload that package to cygwin.com.

Thanks,
Corinna

For those concerned about textmode/binmode:  RCS is testing for
O_BINARY in the sources and uses that if necessary.

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: [ANN] rcs-5.7 package available
@ 2002-01-23 14:36   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2002-01-23 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> - Get rid of this in the setup.hint file.
>
> - Repack the source archive so that it unpacks into rcs-5.7-1
>   instead of rcs-5.7.  Always add the Cygwin subversion to the
>   directory name.

done, got for it!

@ 2002-01-23 14:39     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 08:12:30PM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > - Get rid of this in the setup.hint file.
> >
> > - Repack the source archive so that it unpacks into rcs-5.7-1
> >   instead of rcs-5.7.  Always add the Cygwin subversion to the
> >   directory name.
>
> done, got for it!

I've just uploaded the files to cygwin.com.

Please send an announcement tomorrow as described in
http://cygwin.com/setup.html#submitting, point 9.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.