public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-29  3:39 Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-01-29  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary R. Van Sickle" <g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net>
To: "Corinna Vinschen" <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 20:24
Subject: RE: setup crashing - fixed?

GUYS TELL
> ME!?!?!?!?
>
> Oh man the guys at work are gonna go WILD when I tell 'em!

I think that was a typo.  The latest I see is still 3.2. :}b
--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htm

* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-29  4:32 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-29  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:44:23PM -0800, Michael A Chase wrote:
> [...]

Look in the 'alpha' directory.  I don't know why it is marked as alpha.
It seems pretty stable to me.

Or, at least it doesn't seem to delete files any more often than bazzoo
3.1 did.  According to the bazzoo mailing list, there is a simple way
to disallow this "feature" but I've never managed to make it work.  One
of these days, I have to look at the source and see exactly what I'm
doing wrong.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't actually tried this under
Windows yet but I can't imagine that bazzoo would work any differently
under Cygwin than it does under Linux.  It doesn't use any special stuff
besides unix domain sockets, vfork, and setuid.

I'm glad to see that there are other bazzoo users here.  This is a not
too small but still relatively unpowerful package suitable for both the
expert and the non-novice alike.

cgf

* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-29  6:43   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-29  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:14:57AM -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:44:23PM -0800, Michael A Chase wrote:

But be *extremly* careful using 3.3!  It's in an early development
stage and it's marked as "pretty useless" by it's developers.
Actually they are discussing to renumber that release to 0.9.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-30  4:28     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-30  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

[snip]

> But be *extremly* careful using 3.3!  It's in an early development
> stage and it's marked as "pretty useless" by it's developers.
> Actually they are discussing to renumber that release to 0.9.

Oh man, but just to have bazzoo on Windows, after all these years... I'm
throwing all caution to the wind!  I just hope I have enough memory and disk
space.

BTW, who's the Cygwin bazzoo maintainer?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-30  6:39       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2002-01-30  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

"Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:

> BTW, who's the Cygwin bazzoo maintainer?

Don't you remember?  You said that you would maintain it.

Earnie.

* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-30  6:40         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-30  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 06:59:49AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> "Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:
> >
> > BTW, who's the Cygwin bazzoo maintainer?
> >

> Don't you remember?  You said that you would maintain it.
>
> Earnie.

If not... hmm... I heard rumors that perhaps... L. Gerstner is looking
for a new hobby in 2003, you know...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-29  2:46       ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-29  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2002-01-28 20:13       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-28 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

> By explicitely expressing my wish to change the state by pointy clicky
> somewhere.  Honestly, think of the current "test" installation of
> tetex and texmf which is > 30 Megs.  If the user actually chooses
> to go back to the "curr" version, it's his/her choice.  If that
> happens while the user actually just wanted to update to the latest
> bazzoo-3.3-8 package it's pretty annoying.

Which is the reason for the existence of the 'partial' screen - so that
userscan see what is going to be done before it happens.

Likewise if you downgrade a package, or hold it back, setup will try to
upgrade it every time. We need more information about the users desire -
to allow 'Holding' a package, or setting one package to 'test' and all
the others to 'curr', but I've not had time to code that yet.

Rob

* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-28 15:16     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-28 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

@ 2002-01-28 15:01     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin-apps

===

@ 2002-01-28 14:56   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-28 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin-apps

===

@ 2002-01-28  4:12 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-01-28  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-01-27  9:24 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-01-27  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Appears to be working for me now.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: setup crashing - fixed?
@ 2002-01-27  7:24   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-27  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael A Chase, cygwin-apps

===
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-01-27  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin-apps

From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-26 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Right, I think I found the cause. At least I can successfully download
from *every* available site, and before I had repeatable problems doing
that.

Corinna, can you CVS update and try a fresh build?

I found a bug that could have caused the issue:

site (char const *newkey)
{
  key = new char[strlen (newkey + 1)];
                               ^^^^^