public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-02-07 10:04 Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-02-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Alright,
	finally read over the setup.html file and built up the src and binary
packages.  Writing up the setup.hint file now.  I have the following:

# TCP Wrappers
@ tcp_wrappers_7.6
sdesc: "TCP Wrappers"
ldesc: "TCP Wrappers: Tool to provide host based access restrictions to tcp
base
d services"
skip:
curr: 7.6
prev:
test:
category:
requires:

Does what I have look right, and what category should I put this into?  I
don't think this requires much beyond cygwin.  Going to look at the setup.ini
to see if there are other requirements that make sense.

Feedback appreciated.

--
Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisBrooks
Senior System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes
       the wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-02-07 10:51 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-07 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prentis; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Prentis Brooks wrote:

> Alright,
> 	finally read over the setup.html file and built up the src and binary
> packages.  Writing up the setup.hint file now.  I have the following:
>
> # TCP Wrappers
> @ tcp_wrappers_7.6

This line is not necessary -- it is created in setup.ini by the upset
script; it doesn't need to appear in setup.hint

> sdesc: "TCP Wrappers"

You don't need to put the name into the descriptions anymore; setup.exe
will automatically add the name.  I would suggest

sdesc: "Tool to provide host based access restrictions in tcp services"
ldesc: "With this package you can monitor and filter incoming requests
for the
SYSTAT, FINGER, FTP, TELNET, RLOGIN, RSH, EXEC, TFTP, TALK, and other
network services.

The package provides tiny daemon wrapper programs that can be installed
without any changes to existing software or to existing configuration
files.  The wrappers report the name of the client host and of the
requested service; the wrappers do not exchange information with the
client or server applications, and impose no overhead on the actual
conversation between the client and server applications."

> ldesc: "TCP Wrappers: Tool to provide host based access restrictions to tcp
> base
> d services"
> skip:
> curr: 7.6
> prev:
> test:

You don't need to specify these at all.  The upset script will figure it
out and put "the right thing" into setup.ini.  You only need to specify
these manually within setup.hint if the upset parser gets it wrong.

> category:
> requires:

category: Net
requires: cygwin

> Does what I have look right, and what category should I put this into?  I
> don't think this requires much beyond cygwin.  Going to look at the setup.ini
> to see if there are other requirements that make sense.
>
> Feedback appreciated.

--Chuck

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-02-07 11:16   ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-02-07 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Thanks Chuck, If you don't mind my cut and paste with little to no
modifications, I will take your suggestions, they sound better than my last
clean up.

--

@ 2002-06-27 13:17                 ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-06-27 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

Either way, I am going to work on it.  It will be a good exercise in
creating DLL's for Cygwin.  My only concern is that I am not sure how
active the upstream maintainer is.  If you check the porcupine site, tcp
wrappers hasn't been modified since 1997.  Of course, not that many
changes have been introduced.  This may make the diff, we will see.

--

@ 2002-06-27 11:56               ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-06-27 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

@ 2002-06-27 11:12             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-06-27 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:21:20AM -0400, Prentis Brooks wrote:
> Ok, I was basing my response on the info I got from Charles, where he
> pointed out that libwrap declares certain ints as extern, leaving tcpd
> and ssh to define them.   I am not familiar with DLL's so I am going
> solely by what he says, which I expect is accurate considering the work
> he has already done.  According to his email, these externally defined
> ints work fine when linked statically, but not in a DLL.  He suggested
> that I go through and change the libwrap library to define these
> variable and export them to the applications.  Once that is done, I have
> to go through the applications and stop them from declaring these
> variables themselves (this is the part where I do a lot of reading).
>
> Regarding changes to ssh, that is based on the assumption that ssh, like
> tcpd, declares these ints itself and would need similiar edits to work
> with the DLL.  Regarding the inetd, I was actually talking about making
> the edits to tcpd and using inetd to test the functionality, since that
> is the only other place I have used tcpwrap other than in SSH.
>
> Does that clarify or have I muddied the water further?

It clarifies.  I was just confused how inetd comes into play here.

Just consider that if the usage of a tcp wrappers dll actually
requires us to change sshd code, I'd better live with static linking.
libwrap.a isn't that big.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-06-27 11:12               ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-06-27 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Yeah, my thoughts as well, we really don't want to deviate too far from
the base package.  Let me tinker and see how it works, will let you know
what I find :)

--

@ 2002-06-27  8:14           ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-06-27  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

--

@ 2002-06-27  8:00         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-06-27  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

@ 2002-06-27  7:35       ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-06-27  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

--

@ 2002-06-27  7:21     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-06-27  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

@ 2002-06-26 14:53   ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-06-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

As you wish *grin*

http://www.stonegard.com/cygwin/tcp_wrappers_7.6/tcp_wrappers-7.6-1-src.tar.bz2
http://www.stonegard.com/cygwin/tcp_wrappers_7.6/tcp_wrappers-7.6-1.tar.bz2
http://www.stonegard.com/cygwin/tcp_wrappers_7.6/setup.hint

# TCP Wrappers
sdesc: "TCP Wrappers, Tool to provide host based access restrictions in
tcp services"
ldesc: "TCP Wrappers, With this package you can monitor and filter

--

@ 2002-06-26 13:27 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-06-26 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-06-26 11:22 Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-06-26 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-04-04 19:39           ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

Ok, I will do that.  I haven't seen your email, is there someplace I can
go grab your changes, I just went through and re-read the conversation
and I think I originally missed your meaning for the -src problems.  I
thought I followed the docs on cygwin.com.  I will definately look at
your mods and compare them to what I read.  Then I will either send the
list any errors there or recommend clarification since something didn't
make sense... or, I will correct my own processor ;)

--

@ 2002-04-04  1:17           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-04-04  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:49:43PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> As is, the -src package will build the static lib and create the
> executables without problems.  It is probably okay -- once you've tested
> the build and checked functionality -- to call that "tcp_wrappers-7.6-1"
> as is, without worrying about DLLs yet.
>
> Then, at your leisure, you can attempt to fixup the allow_severity
> problem, and release -2 with the DLL.

Sounds like a good plan to me...

> --Chuck

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03 15:50         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-03 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

Prentis Brooks wrote:

> Wow, Thanks Chuck!!  I really appreciate that, I will look for your
> email and then start work on the other changes this weekend.  Should
> have something by Monday.
>
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Charles Wilson wrote:
>

>>I've whipped up a repackaged version of your -src, that follows the
>>approved conventions.  Also, it uses a shell script to control building,
>>and installs the man pages, header file, has a postinstall script to
>>create /etc/hosts.allow/deny if they dont already exist, etc.
>>
>>I'll mail it to you privately, Prentis.
>>
>>The "hooks" are there to build/install the DLL version, but the
>>allow_severity/deny_severity problem I referred to in my earlier message
>>has to be fixed first, then you can uncomment the "hooks" in Makefile
>>and in the shell script.
>>
>>--Chuck
>>

>>Prentis Brooks wrote:
>>

>>> I am willing to look into this, it currently does not use libtool, so I
>>> have a lot of mods to make that happen, if I understood cgf right.
>>>
>>> I get cable modem today so I will be able to do more from home now ;)

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03 12:25           ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-03 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Cool, hadn't read all of the replies before responding to your email.

--

@ 2002-04-03 11:56         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-04-03 11:55       ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-03 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

--

@ 2002-04-03 11:54         ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin-apps

wheeee, I am going to have fun this weekend ;)

--

@ 2002-04-03 11:53       ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-03 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ok, maybe I just misunderstood your replies to someone asking for
dll'ization or maybe it was you who asked for it.  Basically, here is
the situation, TCP Wrappers only has a single Makefile, no configure or
libtool (understand, I am not completely understanding all of the
components involved with building the dll).  If I understood the
previous conversation then I would need libtool support to simplify the
dll generation.  If I misunderstood, then I can play with the info given
below by Christopher and start trying to make it work.

I should be able to work on it this weekend and start playing with it
then.  If I can get a dll built, then I will probably test building
openssh against it (may have to ping Corrinna about doing that as again
this goes into uncharted cygwin waters for me.  Good practice and a
learning experience, but I may need help initially)

--

@ 2002-04-03 10:45       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-04-03 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:28:25PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I've whipped up a repackaged version of your -src, that follows the
> approved conventions.  Also, it uses a shell script to control building,
> and installs the man pages, header file, has a postinstall script to
> create /etc/hosts.allow/deny if they dont already exist, etc.
>
> I'll mail it to you privately, Prentis.

I've removed the package from sourceware in the meantime.  I'll
upload the new one as soon as you've finished it (and I'm awoken :-))

Sorry for the confusion,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03 10:26     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-03 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: Corinna Vinschen

Prentis Brooks wrote:

>  I am willing to look into this, it currently does not use libtool, so I
>  have a lot of mods to make that happen, if I understood cgf right.
>
>  I get cable modem today so I will be able to do more from home now ;)
>
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 09:06:55AM -0500, Prentis Brooks wrote:
>>
>>>Hey Guys, what is the status of the TCP Wrapper upload?  I got an email
>>>from Rob stating that he had problems getting to the files, I fixed the
>>>problem and responded, but no word since.
>>>
>>I've uploaded it to the contrib area.  I took the freedom to rename
>>the package from "tcp_wrappers_7.6..." to "tcp_wrappers-7.6...", just
>>a dash instead of an underscore in front of the version number.
>>
>>Prepare to announce in a few hours.
>>
>>Btw., IMHO it would be really nice to get libwrap as a DLL in a near
>>future.  I'd like to link OpenSSH dynamically against tcp wrappers...
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Corinna

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03 10:15       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-03 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:37:25PM -0500, Prentis Brooks wrote:
>
>>I am willing to look into this, it currently does not use libtool, so I
>>have a lot of mods to make that happen, if I understood cgf right.
>>

> I don't remember saying this.
>
> It *should* be as simple as saying
>
> gcc -Wl,--export-all-symbols -shared -o foo.dll -Wl,--out-implib,cygfoo.a *.o
>
> but I guess it rarely is.
>
> (I know the above is probably missing some crucial piece or other, I'm
> just vaguely showing how it should work.)
>
> cgf

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03  9:58       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-03  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 06:31:43PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:24:53AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> The -src package is incorrected packaged:
>>
>> usr/doc/Cygwin/
>> usr/doc/Cygwin/tcp_wrappers_7.6.README
>> usr/src/
>> usr/src/tcp_wrappers_7.6/
>> usr/src/tcp_wrappers_7.6/Banners.Makefile
>> usr/src/tcp_wrappers_7.6/BLURB
>> usr/src/tcp_wrappers_7.6/CHANGES
>>
>> Not good.
>>
>> Also, the name should be 'tcp_wrappers-7.6-REL...'; the package release
>> version is missing.
>
>Agh!  I'm sorry.  I'm still not really back from vacation, apparently.
>
>Can I remove the package and keep the directory and setup.exe is still
>happy?

It should be.

cgf

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03  9:48     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-04-03  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-04-03  9:37   ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

--

@ 2002-04-03  9:18       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>Also, the name should be 'tcp_wrappers-7.6-REL...'; the package release
>>version is missing.
>>

> Agh!  I'm sorry.  I'm still not really back from vacation, apparently.
>
> Can I remove the package and keep the directory and setup.exe is still
> happy?

Sure -- I've added and removed things from
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/testing/ all the
time.  the newly generated setup.ini will just not list tcp_wrappers.
If a user has already installed tcp_wrappers, then their setup.exe will
show the package, with 'Keep' action (or uninstall) -- but no reinstall
or install.   No probs.

--Chuck

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03  8:31     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-04-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapp

@ 2002-04-03  8:22   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-04-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 09:06:55AM -0500, Prentis Brooks wrote:
>
>>Hey Guys, what is the status of the TCP Wrapper upload?  I got an email
>>from Rob stating that he had problems getting to the files, I fixed the
>>problem and responded, but no word since.
>>

> I've uploaded it to the contrib area.  I took the freedom to rename
> the package from "tcp_wrappers_7.6..." to "tcp_wrappers-7.6...", just
> a dash instead of an underscore in front of the version number.
>
> Prepare to announce in a few hours.
>
> Btw., IMHO it would be really nice to get libwrap as a DLL in a near
> future.  I'd like to link OpenSSH dynamically against tcp wrappers...
>
> Thanks,
> Corinna

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-04-03  6:38 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-04-03  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-04-03  6:06 Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-04-03  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-03-23  7:51 ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-03-23  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Oddd... I know I put a index page there... one sec...

Nope, I had put another directory in there, full URL should have
been http://www.stonegard.com/cygwin/tcp_wrappers_7.6/

Sorry, I have added an index page to my cygwin directory now so that
won't happen again ;)

@ 2002-03-22 22:49 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-22 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks, cygwin-apps

"Directory Listing Denied"

Rob

@ 2002-03-22  5:10 Mark Bradshaw
From: Mark Bradshaw @ 2002-03-22  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-apps@cygwin.com'

I'd love to see it.

@ 2002-03-22  5:04 Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-03-22  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-03-21 20:42 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-21 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Looks fine to me.

Rob

* Re: TCP Wrappers
@ 2002-03-21 11:52 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-03-21 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-03-21 11:18 Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-03-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2002-03-20 19:39         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-20 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prentis Brooks; +Cc: cygwin-apps

Prentis Brooks wrote:

> Hrmmm.... I will look into it, I am sure there is some efficiency gained
> from making it a DLL.  Would packages that are built against libwrap
> automatically use the DLL if it is available, or would they need to be
> tweaked as well (ie sshd is compiled such that if libwrap.a is available
> it will use it to make use of host.allow files).

If an import lib is found during the link step (say when building
sshd.exe), then the linker will use that in preference to a static lib.
  Import libs are usually named
   /usr/lib/libfoo.dll.a
While static libs are typically
   /usr/lib/libfoo.a
And of course, the DLL is usually
   /usr/bin/cygfoo-N.dll
where 'N' is the interface number (see libtool docs for more info; on
cygwin, N = c - a  (interface - age)

libtool knows about these rules (on cygwin) when building the library
(say libtcpwrap) so a properly libtoolized/autoconfiscated tcpwrappers
package will automagically generate
   /usr/lib/libtcpwrap.dll.a
   /usr/lib/libtcpwrap.a
   /usr/bin/cygtcpwrap-N.dll

When linking a client (say sshd.exe) the linker will use
libtcpwrap.dll.a, and your sshd.exe will have a runtime dependency on
cygtcpwrap-N.dll.  (In the past, you had to #define special stuff when
compiled sshd's .c files; this is no longer necessary thanks to
auto-import).  It just works (tm).

However, if tcpwrapper is not yet libtoolized (nor autoconfiscated),
then autoconfiscating and libtoolizing it yourself from "scratch" is a
pretty big undertaking...

--Chuck

* Re: tcp wrappers
@ 2002-03-20 18:25         ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-03-20 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 06:09:33PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >(In the old days, making a DLL required intrusive and exhausting changes
> >to lots and lots of source files -- __declspec(dllexport) this,
> >__declspec(dllexport that)... -- but no longer.) With auto-import
> >binutils, and the libtool-devel package, you merely:
> >
> >rm ldconfig.sh
> >rm ltmain.sh
> >  << edit configure.in and make sure that
> >  it AC_PREREQ's 2.50 or greater >>
> >libtoolize --force -c
> >aclocal ( possibly need to add '-I some-subdir')
> >automake --force -a
> >autoconf
> >
> >And then configure/make as usual -- an poof! DLL AND static lib.
>
> I don't think that tcp wrappers uses configure or libtool, though.
> Or it didn't the last time I looked at it.

Still doesn't, in fact the rebuild steps from my readme are as follows:

To rebuild this package from the source:
1) cd into /usr/src/tcp_wrappers_7.6
2) run make cygwin
3) strip all exe's
4) mv *.exe /usr/sbin
5) mv libwrap.a /lib

> >Okay, maybe it's not QUITE that easy, but it's close.  You do need to
> >understand the autotools and maybe read a few man pages, but...
> >
> >Still, this is a maintainer decision. If you don't want to DLLize, that
> >is your prerogative.  No complaints from me.
>
> Nor from me.  It was just a suggestion.  I don't think I've ever seen
> a shared version of libwrap, actually.
>
> cgf

I am still open to looking at what it takes to DLL'ize the lib, and
willing to test it to see what gains we get from it... when I get the
chance ;)

--

@ 2002-03-20 18:20       ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2002-03-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)