public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Setup.exe
@ 2002-02-17  7:06 Me
From: Me @ 2002-02-17  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Ya know - I'd like to see a slightly different (more useful packaging) selected as default for the setup.exe .

Many people come along asking - where can I get a free c++ compiler for windows (or specifically GCC compiler for windows) so natuarlly I refer them to sources.redhat.com/cygwin, and then spend the next hour telling them they need to select GCC, Binutils, win32api, mingw32 in addtion to the things selected... should be able to download setup, go next, next next next next, double click cygwin... run gcc, make and have it be able to build both windows apps (-mno-cygwin) and cygwin unix-emulation apps.  supporting as much as is needed for your baseic ./confugre, make is not really neccesary - mostly it's students who use GCC at their school, and would like to work on homework.

If this is not the appropriate place to send this, can someone please forward this?

Jim

* Re: Setup.exe
@ 2002-02-17 11:11 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-17 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: jbuckeyne

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 07:06:19AM -0800, Me wrote:
>Ya know - I'd like to see a slightly different (more useful packaging)
>selected as default for the setup.exe .
>
>Many people come along asking - where can I get a free c++ compiler for
>windows (or specifically GCC compiler for windows) so natuarlly I refer
>them to sources.redhat.com/cygwin, and then spend the next hour telling
>them they need to select GCC, Binutils, win32api, mingw32 in addtion to
>the things selected...  should be able to download setup, go next, next
>next next next, double click cygwin...  run gcc, make and have it be
>able to build both windows apps (-mno-cygwin) and cygwin unix-emulation
>apps.  supporting as much as is needed for your baseic ./confugre, make
>is not really neccesary - mostly it's students who use GCC at their
>school, and would like to work on homework.

When installing, tell them to click on "Devel" then click on "gcc" and
"make".  If they want to debug, click on "gdb".  That's all that they
need to do.

Since not everyone who uses cygwin is a programmer, we're not going
to include gcc as part of the base any more than we are going to include
all of the image processing utilities for people who want to play with
images.

>If this is not the appropriate place to send this, can someone please
>forward this?

It's appropriate here but you might want to avail yourself of previous
discussions about this in both this and the cygwin@cygwin.com mailing
list.

cgf

* RE: Setup.exe
@ 2005-06-14 16:07 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-14 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yuk, top-posting.  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.  You may also find
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> enlightening...

> Subject: Setup.exe
>
> > [snip irrelevant message]

...especially since the content of that message was completely irrelevant
to what you said.

> I used cygwin for the first time since three years ago when it seemed
> quite different from now. It could have been longer.
>
> I find the intention of the interface commendable but its implementation
> confusing.
>
> Normally, I choose FTP over HTTP for downloading. That's a mistake here,
> because the cygwin setup UI made me spend 15 minutes choosing and
> unchoosing. The FTP connection timed out a few times. Setup.exe would
> not renew the connection. I had to restart setup.exe. So it's pointless
> to have FTP mirrors when setup.exe make them (to use an oft overused
> adjective/adverb, virtually) inaccessible. I put on a computer gaming
> warrior attitude trying to race my selecting/deselecting download items
> against the FTP time-out (How to play computer games in the office under
> your bosses' noses without them realising). I finally admitted defeat
> and switched to HTTP download to enable me to continue towards a more
> responsible life-style in the office.

Though I did enjoy the writing style.  As for renewing FTP connections --
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.  Same goes for rsync.

> If you had used real.com starz movie download, you could unselect/cancel
> items while the download is going on. I had to stop and restart
> setup.exe a few times yesterday because, I suddenly realised I didn't
> want gnomes or ghosts which would have increased my download time by a
> quarter. A HTML set of forms with explanatory links to select/unselect
> items and then a final checkout list. The checkout list has dependencies
> listed, with unselected dependencies warnings. Also with file sizes so
> that I could return to select/unselect to meet my total download size
> budget I had in mind.

Heh, a Cygwin shopping cart, with a checkout?  Might actually work.

Who's first in line to implement the "Add to Cart" button? ;-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: Setup.exe
@ 2005-06-14 15:59 Soong, SylokeJ
From: Soong, SylokeJ @ 2005-06-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

[...]

~ I believe in God and his Prophet Charles Darwin ~

From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

@ 2003-01-09 14:05   ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2003-01-09 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-Apps

Acck!! Sorry guys, I meant for this to go to Gary and only to Gary.

My goof

       [not found] <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKGEIPDKAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net>
@ 2003-01-09 13:35 ` Prentis Brooks
From: Prentis Brooks @ 2003-01-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)