public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: Ghostscript ready to upload
       [not found] <15474.24004.831754.756103@coyote.priv.helixdigital.com>
@ 2002-02-19  8:49 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-19  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Alcocer; +Cc: Charles Wilson, Greg Bond, cygwin-apps

@ 2002-02-19  9:40 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-19  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Alcocer; +Cc: cygwin-apps, Greg Bond

Dario Alcocer wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I've *finally* finished testing and packaging Ghostscript.  I've put
> the packages and MD5 files at:
>
>     http://members.cox.net/dalcocer/gs
>
> As soon as I hear back from you that the package has been uploaded,
> I'll send out the announcement.  Thanks, and sorry about taking so
> long to get this release out.

Okay, I've uploaded it -- but I am curious about one thing:
----------
Previous releases required shared libraries for zlib, libpng, and jpeg.
However, due to the very specific requirements Ghostscript has regarding
these libraries, these libraries are instead statically linked.  As a
result, Ghostscript no longer requires the use of shared libraries.
The libraries are included in the source package, ready to be built
with Ghostscript.
----------

What specifically is wrong with the existing shared libraries?  I do
*not* want to see a trend start where other packages start shipping the
source to the libraries they depend on.  Linking statically is okay --
e.g. linking against the libtiff.a file in tiff-3.5.7-1 package by using
"gcc -static .... -ltiff", for instance -- but duplicating my work is a
bit, ah, insulting.

If you can't build ghostscript against the shipped libraries, then
either the libraries or ghostscript is broken and need to be fixed.
What *specifically* is wrong with cygtiff.dll, cygz.dll, or cygpng2.dll?

--Chuck

* Re: Ghostscript ready to upload
@ 2002-02-19 15:22   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)