public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* [ITP] screen
@ 2007-07-06 21:21 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2007-07-06 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've packaged screen for Cygwin and would like to maintain it.  URLs are
below.

screen is a terminal multiplexer and window manager that runs several
separate 'screens' on a single physical character-based terminal.  Each
virtual terminal emulates a DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022
functions.  You can create multiple windows with any programs in them, kill
the current window, switch between windows or copy text between them, view a
list of active windows, rename windows, view the scrollback history, etc.
You can detach your session and even log out if you wish; your programs will
keep running, and you can reattach later, maybe when logged in from a
different host.

Home page:   http://directory.fsf.org/screen.html
Source URL:
http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/utilities/screen/screen-4.0.3.tar.gz
License:     GPL

screen is available in Debian: http://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/screen
.

I'm very pleased to offer this package for Cygwin.  It's been a long, long
effort to get screen working properly in Cygwin.  Many people have tried it
over the years, but one or both of two significant bugs always remained:
detaching/reattaching didn't work correctly, or when a window was killed its
child processes lived on.  Improvements to the Cygwin DLL, some patches that
I got from Mark Edgar and he got from other people, and one last patch from
me, prompted by advice from Charles Wilson, combined to finally finish off
those two and all other known bugs.  It was a community effort.

Still, I'm marking this release as "test" for now.  I've used it a fair
amount here, but other people should test it to make sure it works for them
too.

screen may work on Win9x systems, but I can't support it there.  I don't
have access to any Win9x systems for testing, and there's reason to believe
that screen won't work there, since I left out some patches that were
supposed to improve Win9x support.  Those patches were fairly large, I can't
tell if they work, and since Cygwin itself is dropping support for Win9x, it
didn't seem worthwhile to me to include them.

Andrew.

wget \
  http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/setup.hint \
  http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1.tar.bz2 \
  http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1-src.tar.bz2

* Re: [ITP] screen
@ 2007-07-07 20:56 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2007-07-07 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Andrew Schulman schrieb:
> I've packaged screen for Cygwin and would like to maintain it.  URLs are
> below.
> wget \
>   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/setup.hint \
>   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1.tar.bz2 \
>   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1-src.tar.bz2

Package looks good and works fine.

Just the one and only cygwin app that detects it internally, naim, fails
to work with screen. But this is a naim problem, not screen.
--
Reini

* Re: [ITP] screen
@ 2007-07-07 21:55   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2007-07-07 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Package looks good and works fine.

OK, thanks.

I forgot to mention that detaching and reattaching sessions works fine in
all terminals AFAIK, except that in a DOS console you have to set
CYGWIN=tty before opening the console.  Otherwise reattaching is likely to
fail, and you'll have to remove the dead session with -wipe, and probably
manually terminate the child processes too.

I've tried reattaching in rxvt, xterm, and PuTTYcyg, and it's always worked
fine for me, but PuTTYcyg is the only one I've used a lot.  Test reports
from different terminals will be welcome.

> Just the one and only cygwin app that detects it internally, naim, fails
> to work with screen. But this is a naim problem, not screen.

Detects what internally?  screen?  So you mean that naim looks to see if
it's running in screen, and refuses to do so?

A.

* Re: [ITP] screen
@ 2007-07-07 22:32     ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2007-07-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [ML] CygWin-Apps

Andrew Schulman schrieb:
>> Just the one and only cygwin app that detects it internally, naim, fails
>> to work with screen. But this is a naim problem, not screen.
>
> Detects what internally?  screen?  So you mean that naim looks to see if
> it's running in screen, and refuses to do so?

See cygwin list: "naim fails to work with screen"

* Re: [ITP] screen - please upload
@ 2007-07-10  9:56   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2007-07-10  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Reini Urban wrote:

> > wget \
> >   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/setup.hint \
> >   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1.tar.bz2 \
> >   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1-src.tar.bz2
>
> Package looks good and works fine.

I interpret this as a GTG vote from the bashdb maintainer.  Can you please
upload the package?

BTW, I forgot to include my setup.hint before.  Sorry.  Here it is now.

Thanks,
Andrew.

<setup.hint>
sdesc: "Run separate screens on a single terminal"
ldesc: "screen is a terminal multiplexer and window manager that runs
several separate 'screens' on a single physical character-based
terminal.  Each virtual terminal emulates a DEC VT100 plus several
ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.  You can create multiple windows
with any programs in them, kill the current window, switch between
windows or copy text between them, view a list of active windows,
rename windows, view scrollback history, and more.  You can detach
your session and even log out if you wish; your programs will keep
running, and you can reattach later, maybe when logged in from a
different host."
category: Utils
requires: cygwin crypt libncurses8
test: 4.0.3-1
</setup.hint>

* Re: [ITP] screen - please upload
@ 2007-07-10 11:42     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-07-10 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 10 05:55, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> Reini Urban wrote:
>
> > > wget \
> > >   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/setup.hint \
> > >   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1.tar.bz2 \
> > >   http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/cygwin/screen/screen-4.0.3-1-src.tar.bz2
> >
> > Package looks good and works fine.
>
> I interpret this as a GTG vote from the bashdb maintainer.  Can you please
> upload the package?

Done.

Corinna

Red Hat