public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Windows Public Key Authentication
@ 2008-07-22  9:06 Zimmermann, Benjamin
From: Zimmermann, Benjamin @ 2008-07-22  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi all,

since quite a while I am fighting with the problem that Cygwin does not
create a separte login-session when you use the public-key authentication.
Unfortunatly I did not find any good solution to workaround this problem.

General speaking I have not a problem with the behaviour itself, but when
I use the public-key authentication the Windows Utility "diskpart.exe" does
not start. It only works when I use password-authentication instead.
But as diskpart is included in some scripts, it is mandandory for me to use the
public-key authentication.

I have already search in the archived mails and found some older entries from
the last years discussing this item. In one of the list I have found the following
statement: "It is a limitation of Windows and won't be remedied in the Cygwin 1.5.x series".

Based on this  situation I have the following question:

1) Does anybody know a good workaround/solution to make diskpart.exe AND
     public-key authentication working?

2) Does anybody know how to make it happen that a new user-session will be
     created using the public-key authentication?

3) When will the next major release of Cygwin (Cygwin 1.7 or so...) be released?

4) Does anybody know if the public-key authentication / own session-feature
    will be solved in Cygwin 1.7?

Many thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Best Regards
Benni

* Re: Windows Public Key Authentication
@ 2008-07-22  9:34 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-07-22  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jul 22 09:04, Zimmermann, Benjamin wrote:
> 3) When will the next major release of Cygwin (Cygwin 1.7 or so...) be released?

Hopefully in 2008.

> 4) Does anybody know if the public-key authentication / own session-feature
>     will be solved in Cygwin 1.7?

Yes.  By using Cygwin's own LSA authentication package.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Windows Public Key Authentication
@ 2008-07-22 15:52 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-22 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:04:32AM +0000, Zimmermann, Benjamin wrote:
>since quite a while I am fighting with the problem that Cygwin does not
>create a separte login-session when you use the public-key authentication.
>Unfortunatly I did not find any good solution to workaround this problem.
>
>General speaking I have not a problem with the behaviour itself, but when
>I use the public-key authentication the Windows Utility "diskpart.exe" does
>not start. It only works when I use password-authentication instead.
>But as diskpart is included in some scripts, it is mandandory for me to use the
>public-key authentication.
>
>I have already search in the archived mails and found some older entries from
>the last years discussing this item. In one of the list I have found the following
>statement: "It is a limitation of Windows and won't be remedied in the Cygwin 1.5.x series".
>
>Based on this  situation I have the following question:
>
>1) Does anybody know a good workaround/solution to make diskpart.exe AND
>     public-key authentication working?
>
>2) Does anybody know how to make it happen that a new user-session will be
>     created using the public-key authentication?
>
>3) When will the next major release of Cygwin (Cygwin 1.7 or so...) be released?
>
>4) Does anybody know if the public-key authentication / own session-feature
>    will be solved in Cygwin 1.7?
>
>Many thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

None of the above is approproriate for this mailing list. Please use the main list.