public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 10:02 Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-08-15 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi

I'm just trying a full 1.7 download but get the following warning from
setup.exe:

Package: xemacs
	Required by: xemacs-mule-sumo, xemacs-sumo

Going back to the previous dialog I see that the following
packages have a Skipped state

  emacs
  emacs-el
  emacs-X11
  gdb
  grace
  grub
  libecpg-compat1
  libecpg4
  libpgtypes1
  xemacs
  xemacs-common
  xemacs-tags

Checking the setup-2.ini file shows that the following packages

  emacs*, xemacs*, grub and grace

have only a [test] entry. Should these be fixed manually ? to import the
current versions. At least for xemacs (as maintainer) I vote for it.

gdb has only a [prev] entry:

  @ gdb
  sdesc: "The GNU Debugger"
  ldesc: "The GNU debugger, allows you to debug programs written in C, C++,
  and other languages, by executing them in a controlled fashion
  and printing their data."
  category: Devel
  requires: termcap tcltk libiconv2 libintl2 libncurses8
  [prev]
  version: 20060706-2
  install: release-2/gdb/gdb-20060706-2.tar.bz2 4052016 1462829597400f3d465db9efe8c85408
  source: release-2/gdb/gdb-20060706-2-src.tar.bz2 1202313161f3bcb3f0b9e2d0477bcb5f7c33b6f3

For libtool only the [test] version is listed, will this be the default
for 1.7 ?

  @ libtool
  sdesc: "A shared library generation tool"
  ldesc: "GNU libtool is a generic library support script.
  Libtool hides the complexity of using shared libraries behind
  a consistent, portable interface."
  category: Devel
  requires: cygwin bash automake1.10 autoconf2.5 autoconf automake texinfo libltdl3 libltdl7 file binutils _update-info-dir
  [prev]
  [test]
  version: 2.2.2-2
  install: release-2/libtool/libtool-2.2.2-2.tar.bz2 637468 5c3418f2449325d22538e09bd0019ccb
  source: release-2/libtool/libtool-2.2.2-2-src.tar.bz2 1459051185e97319a43c9ec31c2f5c48ab40795

Another anomaly, tetex-bin has empty [prev] and [test] antries. Maybe
these should be removed.

  @ tetex-bin
  sdesc: "The TeX text formatting system (binaries)."
  ldesc: "teTeX binary files
  This is teTeX, a TeX distribution for UNIX compatible systems.  These
  are all the binaries for the teTeX system.  You need at least
  tetex-tiny or tetex-base together with it."
  category: Text Publishing
  requires: bash clear coreutils cygutils cygwin ed diffutils findutils gawk grep libjpeg62 libkpathsea3 libkpathsea4 libncurses7 libncurses8 libpng12 libtiff4 libtiff5 perl sed termcap zlib _update-info-dir
  version: 3.0.0-3
  install: release-2/tetex/tetex-bin/tetex-bin-3.0.0-3.tar.bz2 3765598 7cb254307c8f0c2c83a5ede41623cf96
  source: release-2/tetex/tetex-bin/tetex-bin-3.0.0-3-src.tar.bz2 9880110 2a2d8ce1a8a78f23568dc44a19fd6218
  [prev]
  [test]

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 11:48 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-08-15 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 15 12:02, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm just trying a full 1.7 download but get the following warning from
> setup.exe:
>
> Package: xemacs
> 	Required by: xemacs-mule-sumo, xemacs-sumo
>
> Going back to the previous dialog I see that the following
> packages have a Skipped state
>
>   emacs
>   emacs-el
>   emacs-X11
>   gdb
>   grace
>   grub
>   libecpg-compat1
>   libecpg4
>   libpgtypes1
>   xemacs
>   xemacs-common
>   xemacs-tags
>
> Checking the setup-2.ini file shows that the following packages
>
>   emacs*, xemacs*, grub and grace
>
> have only a [test] entry. Should these be fixed manually ? to import the
> current versions. At least for xemacs (as maintainer) I vote for it.

That's probably a result of using only the latest package in the
release-2 area when creating the union fs.  They should be fixed by
either making all the test versions curr, or by copying the curr
versions over from release to release-2.  Can you do that at one
point, Volker?  I need some time for debugging now.

> gdb has only a [prev] entry:
> [...]

That's really weird.  I have a few doubts about the reliability of the
union fs.  Anyway, I copied gdb-6.8-2 over now.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 14:00   ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2008-08-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > That's probably a result of using only the latest package in the
    > release-2 area when creating the union fs.  They should be fixed by
    > either making all the test versions curr, or by copying the curr
    > versions over from release to release-2.  Can you do that at one
    > point, Volker?  I need some time for debugging now.

Done for emacs*, xemacs* and grace packages.

@ 2008-08-15 14:05     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-08-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 15 15:59, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > That's probably a result of using only the latest package in the
>     > release-2 area when creating the union fs.  They should be fixed by
>     > either making all the test versions curr, or by copying the curr
>     > versions over from release to release-2.  Can you do that at one
>     > point, Volker?  I need some time for debugging now.
>
> Done for emacs*, xemacs* and grace packages.

Cool, thanks.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 15:14   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-15 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 01:48:46PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> gdb has only a [prev] entry:
>> [...]
>
>That's really weird.  I have a few doubts about the reliability of the
>union fs.  Anyway, I copied gdb-6.8-2 over now.

Randomly making exact copies of files release in the release-2 area
is not the way to fix problems.

cgf

* Re: setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 15:20       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-15 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 04:05:40PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>     > That's probably a result of using only the latest package in the
>>     > release-2 area when creating the union fs.  They should be fixed by
>>     > either making all the test versions curr, or by copying the curr
>>     > versions over from release to release-2.  Can you do that at one
>>     > point, Volker?  I need some time for debugging now.
>>
>> Done for emacs*, xemacs* and grace packages.
>
>Cool, thanks.

For the record, this is not the way to fix this particular problem
either.  I've removed all of the recently-created duplicate copies.

cgf

* Re: setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 15:26         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-08-15 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Aug 15 11:20, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>     > That's probably a result of using only the latest package in the
> >>     > release-2 area when creating the union fs.  They should be fixed by
> >>     > either making all the test versions curr, or by copying the curr
> >>     > versions over from release to release-2.  Can you do that at one
> >>     > point, Volker?  I need some time for debugging now.
> >>
> >> Done for emacs*, xemacs* and grace packages.
> >
> >Cool, thanks.
>
> For the record, this is not the way to fix this particular problem
> either.  I've removed all of the recently-created duplicate copies.

Your response would be much more helpful if you would tell us how to fix
these problems instead of just telling that this one way is not the way
to fix the problem.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: setup-2.ini problems/anomalies
@ 2008-08-15 16:22           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-15 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 05:26:53PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 15 11:20, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >Cool, thanks.
>>
>> For the record, this is not the way to fix this particular problem
>> either.  I've removed all of the recently-created duplicate copies.
>
>Your response would be much more helpful if you would tell us how to fix
>these problems instead of just telling that this one way is not the way
>to fix the problem.

Q: What's the point of the unionfs?

A: To avoid the requirement of making duplicate copies of the entire
release area while still allowing customization.

So, explictly duplicating files goes against the whole idea of a
unionfs.

Given that, when a file is not showing up in the release-2 area that
exists in the release area you can either report the problem here and
let me fix it, which I am happy to do (especially when there are
problems with my own packages) or you can investigate how the unionfs
works which is what I just did, knowing that making copies was not
right.

The script that I use to unmount and remount this (and I'm not suggesting
that anyone should run this - please don't) is ~cgf/bin/union-remount.
That script shows you the command line used to mount release-2 is:

unionfs -o cow -o allow_other -o use_ino -o uid=22790 \
	-o gid=65521 \
/sourceware/snapshot-tmp/cygwin-release-2=rw:/sourceware/ftp/anonftp/pub/cygwin/release=ro \
/export/u0/sourceware/sourceware/ftp/anonftp/pub/cygwin/release-2

Reading the unionfs man page, you'd see that
/sourceware/snapshot-tmp/cygwin-release-2 is the "top branch".  Since
there are only two directories and one is marked "ro" it would make
sense that the meta data associated with the unionfs would be stored
there.

So, I cd'ed to sourceware/snapshot-tmp/cygwin-release-2 and typed "ls
-a", saw that there was a ".unionfs" directory there and cd'ed to that
location.  It contains a directory structure similar to ~release-2 but
the directories contain files like "xemacs-21.4.19-3.tar.bz2_HIDDEN~".
Since the file release-2/xemacs/xemacs-21.4.19-3.tar.bz2 does not exist,
it makes sense that this file must be what is used to flag the unionfs
file system.  Removing it causes the file to spring into existence in
release-2.

With the exception of the fact that I knew about union-remount command
and vaguely remembered that fuse-unionfs stored files with a _HIDDEN~
extension, all of the above is what I figured out in the last hour.  I
don't expect that anyone else would know how to do this.  I'm just
asking that we don't start polluting the release-2 area with duplicate
copies of files.  That is just a future "doubt" about unionfs waiting to
happen - "I deleted file X but it is still showing up in ~release-2.
unionfs sucks."

So the short answer is if this happens again, just notify me and I'll
fix it.  I would have fixed this when I read the cygwin-apps email but
all of this happened before I got on the computer this morning.

cgf