public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
Subject: Anyone want to be the "expect" package maintainer?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Volker's recent email about packages which still use /usr/{info,man}
reminded me about "expect".

I haven't updated the expect package in many years.  It used to be based
on a hacked version of expect from the sourceware.org src repository but
that version has disappeared.  I asked the person responsible for the
disappearance if they would like to become the new package maintainer
for Cygwin and they said yes but that never materialized.

The definitive sources for expect are here: http://expect.nist.gov/ .

I don't know if expect will work well with cygwin or not.  I can dig out
the patches that were added (some by me when dinosaurs still prowled the
earth) if anyone is interested in rolling a new package.

This is, of course, compounded by the problems of the almost-mingww
version of tcl which expect relies upon.  The whole tcl/tk situation
with cygwin is a bit of a mess.  In theory, I guess there is no reason
why expect couldn't just rely on whatever tcl*.dll is installed in
/usr/bin.

Please send email to the cygwin list if you're interested so that this
can be coordinated.

cgf