public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Cygwin 1.7 on a FLASH Drive
@ 2008-08-20 16:15 Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-08-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Yes, I've read the FAQ on making Cygwin portable :-)

I'd like to have a complete Cygwin environment on a FLASH
drive, but of course using that drive to compile stuff in
my HOME directory will be awfully slow.

Is there a way to create a symlink of a directory on a local
hard drive to the cygwin /home/username/ directory?

Are there any features in 1.7 that will make a portable
cygwin easier to maintain?

Ralph

* Re: Cygwin 1.7 on a FLASH Drive
@ 2008-08-20 17:31 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:14:54PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
>Yes, I've read the FAQ on making Cygwin portable :-)
>
>I'd like to have a complete Cygwin environment on a FLASH drive, but of
>course using that drive to compile stuff in my HOME directory will be
>awfully slow.
>
>Is there a way to create a symlink of a directory on a local hard drive
>to the cygwin /home/username/ directory?
>
>Are there any features in 1.7 that will make a portable cygwin easier
>to maintain?

This really has nothing to do with cygwin-apps.  Use the cygwin list.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin 1.7 on a FLASH Drive
@ 2008-08-20 18:00   ` Ralph Hempel
From: Ralph Hempel @ 2008-08-20 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, cygwin-apps

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> Are there any features in 1.7 that will make a portable cygwin easier
>> to maintain?
>
> This really has nothing to do with cygwin-apps.  Use the cygwin list.

Except that I was asking if 1.7 had some hooks to make this
configuration easier to deal with, and 1.7 is not generally
out there yet.

Either way, I'll resend on to the core cygwin list.

Ralph

* Re: Cygwin 1.7 on a FLASH Drive
@ 2008-08-20 22:07     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-08-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:00:05PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>Are there any features in 1.7 that will make a portable cygwin easier
>>>to maintain?
>>This really has nothing to do with cygwin-apps.  Use the cygwin list.
>
>Except that I was asking if 1.7 had some hooks to make this
>configuration easier to deal with, and 1.7 is not generally out there
>yet.
>
>Either way, I'll resend on to the core cygwin list.

This isn't the "discuss anything about 1.7" mailing list.  You had
questions that had nothing to do with the express purpose of this list.

cgf