public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* ITP checkbashisms -- Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts
@ 2012-02-04  8:55 Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2012-02-04  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

wget --recursive --no-host-directories --cut-dirs=3 \
    http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/checkbashisms/checkbashisms-2.11.3-1-src.tar.bz2 \
    http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/checkbashisms/checkbashisms-2.11.3-1.tar.bz2 \
    http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/checkbashisms/setup.hint

checkbashisms script has been included in Debian since 200x (don't know
exatly; its git log starts in 2007). It's part of the devsripts in Debian.

To check build:

   tar -xf check*.bz2
   ./check*.sh --color --verbose all

Jari

[ setup.hint ]
sdesc: "Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts"
ldesc: "Perform basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible
presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the
command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected.
Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates
to 'a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX';
this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional
sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability."
category: Perl Utils
requires: perl

* Re: ITP checkbashisms -- Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts
@ 2012-02-05 19:42 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2012-02-05 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin-Apps

On 2/4/2012 3:55 AM, Jari Aalto wrote:
> checkbashisms script has been included in Debian since 200x (don't know
> exatly; its git log starts in 2007). It's part of the devsripts in Debian.
>
> To check build:
>
>     tar -xf check*.bz2
>     ./check*.sh --color --verbose all

We're not debian, and don't explicitly exclude the use of bashism in
*ALL* [/usr]/bin/*.sh scripts.  Even debian doesn't disallow bashisms i
*usr*/bin/ scripts -- and as /bin == /usr/bin on cygwin, we can't realy
distinguish between /bin/*.sh and /usr/bin/*sh.  Some of our scripts, in
fact, have sh-bang lines explicitly requiring bash (e.g. cygport).

So...I'm not sure this is a totally useful tool for cygwin; it might
lead to unnecessary list traffic:

"Hey, checkbashisms complains about /usr/bin/cygport, please fix..."

I realize this doesn't require votes as it is already in debian, and I
certainly have no veto power, but if it did require votes I'd be giving
it a '0' not a '+1'.

--
Chuck

* Re: ITP checkbashisms -- Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts
@ 2012-02-05 21:37   ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2012-02-05 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 14:41 -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> We're not debian, and don't explicitly exclude the use of bashism in
> *ALL* [/usr]/bin/*.sh scripts.  Even debian doesn't disallow bashisms i
> *usr*/bin/ scripts -- and as /bin == /usr/bin on cygwin, we can't realy
> distinguish between /bin/*.sh and /usr/bin/*sh.  Some of our scripts, in
> fact, have sh-bang lines explicitly requiring bash (e.g. cygport).
>
> So...I'm not sure this is a totally useful tool for cygwin; it might
> lead to unnecessary list traffic:
>
> "Hey, checkbashisms complains about /usr/bin/cygport, please fix..."
>
> I realize this doesn't require votes as it is already in debian, and I
> certainly have no veto power, but if it did require votes I'd be giving
> it a '0' not a '+1'.

You make valid points, but I suppose it would still be useful for
someone writing sh scripts on Cygwin to check their portability to
stricter /bin/sh shells on other systems.

So while I'm hardly overwhelmed by the necessity for adding this
package, its not completely useless on Cygwin either.

Yaakov

* Re: ITP checkbashisms -- Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts
@ 2012-02-06 11:21     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-02-06 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb  5 15:36, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 14:41 -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > We're not debian, and don't explicitly exclude the use of bashism in
> > *ALL* [/usr]/bin/*.sh scripts.  Even debian doesn't disallow bashisms i
> > *usr*/bin/ scripts -- and as /bin == /usr/bin on cygwin, we can't realy
> > distinguish between /bin/*.sh and /usr/bin/*sh.  Some of our scripts, in
> > fact, have sh-bang lines explicitly requiring bash (e.g. cygport).
> >
> > So...I'm not sure this is a totally useful tool for cygwin; it might
> > lead to unnecessary list traffic:
> >
> > "Hey, checkbashisms complains about /usr/bin/cygport, please fix..."
> >
> > I realize this doesn't require votes as it is already in debian, and I
> > certainly have no veto power, but if it did require votes I'd be giving
> > it a '0' not a '+1'.
>
> You make valid points, but I suppose it would still be useful for
> someone writing sh scripts on Cygwin to check their portability to
> stricter /bin/sh shells on other systems.
>
> So while I'm hardly overwhelmed by the necessity for adding this
> package, its not completely useless on Cygwin either.

None of Jari's packages needs a vote.  All of them need a packaging check,
though...  *hint, hint*

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: ITP checkbashisms -- Check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts
@ 2012-02-11 11:05 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-02-11 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb  4 10:55, Jari Aalto wrote:
> wget --recursive --no-host-directories --cut-dirs=3 \
>     http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/checkbashisms/checkbashisms-2.11.3-1-src.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/checkbashisms/checkbashisms-2.11.3-1.tar.bz2 \
>     http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/checkbashisms/setup.hint

Uploaded.