public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-01-31 14:24 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-01-31 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: Dr. Volker Zell, Gergely Budai

Hi Gergely,
Hi Volker,

the minires resolver functionality has been moved into the Cygwin DLL
since Cygwin 1.7.0.  Only two packages still rely on minires, gnupg,
and libopenldap2, libopenldap2_2_7, and libopenldap2_3_0.

Is there a achance we can update these packages soon so we can drop
the minres package from the distro?

As a side note, Gergely hasn't posted to the Cygwin lists since 2008,
afaics.  Is there anybody willing to take over maintainance of his
packages, should he not reply within 2 weeks?  The affected packages
are gnupg and robodoc.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-01-31 15:29 ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2012-01-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 31.01.2012 15:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Gergely,
> Hi Volker,

Hi

> the minires resolver functionality has been moved into the Cygwin DLL
> since Cygwin 1.7.0.  Only two packages still rely on minires, gnupg,
> and libopenldap2, libopenldap2_2_7, and libopenldap2_3_0.
>
> Is there a achance we can update these packages soon so we can drop
> the minres package from the distro?

I'm still waiting for the tcl/tk move. openldap depends on the libdb
(Berkeley DB) package, which itself has a dependency on one of the new
tcl/tk packages. As soon as the switch has been done I will create new
openldap packages. They are actually ready.

Ciao
   Volker

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-01-31 15:49   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-01-31 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jan 31 16:31, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> On 31.01.2012 15:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Hi Gergely,
> >Hi Volker,
>
> Hi
>
> >the minires resolver functionality has been moved into the Cygwin DLL
> >since Cygwin 1.7.0.  Only two packages still rely on minires, gnupg,
> >and libopenldap2, libopenldap2_2_7, and libopenldap2_3_0.
> >
> >Is there a achance we can update these packages soon so we can drop
> >the minres package from the distro?
>
> I'm still waiting for the tcl/tk move. openldap depends on the libdb
> (Berkeley DB) package, which itself has a dependency on one of the
> new tcl/tk packages. As soon as the switch has been done I will
> create new openldap packages. They are actually ready.

Cool, thanks!  Btw., did you see Yaakov's security related mails,
by any chance?

  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2012-01/msg00017.html
  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2012-01/msg00029.html

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-01-31 16:15     ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2012-01-31 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 31.01.2012 16:48, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Cool, thanks!  Btw., did you see Yaakov's security related mails,
> by any chance?
>
>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2012-01/msg00017.html
>    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2012-01/msg00029.html

Yes, but I'm busy right now. I'll tackle these when I upload new
openldap packages.

Ciao
   Volker

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-02-26  9:34   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-02-26  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps; +Cc: dr.volker.zell

Hi Volker,

On Jan 31 16:31, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> On 31.01.2012 15:23, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Hi Gergely,
> >Hi Volker,
>
> Hi
>
> >the minires resolver functionality has been moved into the Cygwin DLL
> >since Cygwin 1.7.0.  Only two packages still rely on minires, gnupg,
> >and libopenldap2, libopenldap2_2_7, and libopenldap2_3_0.
> >
> >Is there a achance we can update these packages soon so we can drop
> >the minres package from the distro?
>
> I'm still waiting for the tcl/tk move. openldap depends on the libdb
> (Berkeley DB) package, which itself has a dependency on one of the
> new tcl/tk packages. As soon as the switch has been done I will
> create new openldap packages. They are actually ready.

Any news on a new openldap package?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-02-28 12:42     ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2012-02-28 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

    > Any news on a new openldap package?

Should be out now.

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-02-28 12:45       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-02-28 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb 28 13:43, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>     > Any news on a new openldap package?
>
> Should be out now.

Thank you!

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-02-28 12:49 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-02-28 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> Hi Gergely,
> Hi Volker,
>

> the minires resolver functionality has been moved into the Cygwin DLL
> since Cygwin 1.7.0.  Only two packages still rely on minires, gnupg,
> and libopenldap2, libopenldap2_2_7, and libopenldap2_3_0.
>
> Is there a achance we can update these packages soon so we can drop
> the minres package from the distro?
>

> As a side note, Gergely hasn't posted to the Cygwin lists since 2008,
> afaics.  Is there anybody willing to take over maintainance of his
> packages, should he not reply within 2 weeks?  The affected packages
> are gnupg and robodoc.
>

> Thanks,
> Corinna

OOPS,
I left minires as dependency of gnupg, could you remove it ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-02-28 12:59   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-02-28 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb 28 13:48, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 1/31/2012 3:23 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Hi Gergely,
> >Hi Volker,
> >

> >the minires resolver functionality has been moved into the Cygwin DLL
> >since Cygwin 1.7.0.  Only two packages still rely on minires, gnupg,
> >and libopenldap2, libopenldap2_2_7, and libopenldap2_3_0.
> >
> >Is there a achance we can update these packages soon so we can drop
> >the minres package from the distro?
> >

> >As a side note, Gergely hasn't posted to the Cygwin lists since 2008,
> >afaics.  Is there anybody willing to take over maintainance of his
> >packages, should he not reply within 2 weeks?  The affected packages
> >are gnupg and robodoc.
> >

> >Thanks,
> >Corinna
> >

> OOPS,
> I left minires as dependency of gnupg, could you remove it ?

No worries.  Done.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-12 15:24         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Feb 28 13:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >     > Any news on a new openldap package?
> >
> > Should be out now.
>
> Thank you!

Btw., no package in the distro still requires any older version of
libopenldap that libopenldap2_3_0.  Can we move the libopenldap2 and
libopenldap2_2_7 packages into the _obsolete category?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-12 19:02           ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2012-03-12 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 2012-03-12 10:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Btw., no package in the distro still requires any older version of
> libopenldap that libopenldap2_3_0.  Can we move the libopenldap2 and
> libopenldap2_2_7 packages into the _obsolete category?

If nothing in the distro requires these anymore then IMO they should
just be removed entirely.

Yaakov

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-13  8:21             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-13  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 12 14:02, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2012-03-12 10:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Btw., no package in the distro still requires any older version of
> >libopenldap that libopenldap2_3_0.  Can we move the libopenldap2 and
> >libopenldap2_2_7 packages into the _obsolete category?
>
> If nothing in the distro requires these anymore then IMO they should
> just be removed entirely.

Fine with me.  Volker?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-19  9:57               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-19  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Dr. Volker Zell

Volker?  Ping?

On Mar 13 09:21, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 12 14:02, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> > On 2012-03-12 10:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >Btw., no package in the distro still requires any older version of
> > >libopenldap that libopenldap2_3_0.  Can we move the libopenldap2 and
> > >libopenldap2_2_7 packages into the _obsolete category?
> >
> > If nothing in the distro requires these anymore then IMO they should
> > just be removed entirely.
>
> Fine with me.  Volker?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-23  9:10                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-23  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps, Dr. Volker Zell

Volker?

On Mar 19 10:56, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Volker?  Ping?
>
> On Mar 13 09:21, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > > If nothing in the distro requires these anymore then IMO they should
> > > just be removed entirely.
> >
> > Fine with me.  Volker?

It's nice that you update your packages, but I don't quite understand
why you don't reply to my question.  Have I done something wrong?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-23  9:57                   ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2012-03-23  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 23.03.2012 10:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Volker?
>
> On Mar 19 10:56, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Volker?  Ping?

>>> Fine with me.  Volker?
>
> It's nice that you update your packages, but I don't quite understand
> why you don't reply to my question.  Have I done something wrong?

Sorry, I was about to answer this friday because I was busy teaching.

When we just remove the packages from the distro, then everybody who
downloaded them already will still have them in their local cygwin tree.

Wouldn't it be better if I provide empty packages for them ? Basically
that't what I wanted to do this friday together with an update to the
latest openldap package.

> Corinna

Ciao
   Volker

* Re: OBSOLETED: minires
@ 2012-03-23 11:03                     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-23 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Mar 23 10:59, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> On 23.03.2012 10:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Volker?
> >
> >On Mar 19 10:56, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>Volker?  Ping?

> >It's nice that you update your packages, but I don't quite understand
> >why you don't reply to my question.  Have I done something wrong?
>
> Sorry, I was about to answer this friday because I was busy teaching.
>
> When we just remove the packages from the distro, then everybody who
> downloaded them already will still have them in their local cygwin
> tree.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if I provide empty packages for them ?
> Basically that't what I wanted to do this friday together with an
> update to the latest openldap package.

That's really up to you.  I'm happy one way or the other.  I would just
like to get rid of the last packages with a dependency to minires.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat