public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-20 15:11 Michael Benford
From: Michael Benford @ 2012-09-20 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
selection page when it starts.
And only runs the wizard when a current installation of the current
version is not detected.

The file name setup.exe is ambiguous if stored in a folder with other
application installation files.
I suggest using the file name cygpac.exe and application name Cygwin
package manager.

I am happy to implement both of these changes my self but I need feed back
and permission from the community.

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-20 15:59 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2012-09-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 09/20/2012 09:11 AM, Michael Benford wrote:
> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
> selection page when it starts.
> And only runs the wizard when a current installation of the current
> version is not detected.

Indeed - having the ability to skip past the 6 'Next' buttons for a
repeated run after cygwin is already installed seems useful; but you
still have to make it possible for the user to rerun the intro screens
rather than hard-coding it to only start at the package selection page
(since the intro screens are necessary for things like choosing a
different mirror).  Probably the easiest approach is to add a new
command line option that can be used to skip the intro screens, and then
users can script things with a batch file or by modifying the Windows
shortcut to the actual setup.exe binary to add the option, although that
will still require some user intervention rather than happening
automatically.

> The file name setup.exe is ambiguous if stored in a folder with other
> application installation files.
> I suggest using the file name cygpac.exe and application name Cygwin
> package manager.

Won't happen.  You are free to download the file and rename it yourself,
but people have come to expect the name of the file that they download
to originally be named setup.exe, and every time this topic has come up
in the past, it has been rejected.

> I am happy to implement both of these changes my self but I need feed
> back and permission from the community.

Go for it - this is open source, so you can make the changes for your
own use even if the community doesn't like them.

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-20 16:26   ` Michael Benford
From: Michael Benford @ 2012-09-20 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:58:42 +0200, Eric Blake <eblake@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2012 09:11 AM, Michael Benford wrote:
>> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
>> selection page when it starts.
>> And only runs the wizard when a current installation of the current
>> version is not detected.
>
> Indeed - having the ability to skip past the 6 'Next' buttons for a
> repeated run after cygwin is already installed seems useful; but you
> still have to make it possible for the user to rerun the intro screens
> rather than hard-coding it to only start at the package selection page
> (since the intro screens are necessary for things like choosing a
> different mirror).  Probably the easiest approach is to add a new
> command line option that can be used to skip the intro screens, and then
> users can script things with a batch file or by modifying the Windows
> shortcut to the actual setup.exe binary to add the option, although that
> will still require some user intervention rather than happening
> automatically.

I would implement a configuration panel that is accessible from the
package selection page.(i have developed a button table mini application
for launching other application with hard coded command-line arguments
using only win32)

>> The file name setup.exe is ambiguous if stored in a folder with other
>> application installation files.
>> I suggest using the file name cygpac.exe and application name Cygwin
>> package manager.
>
> Won't happen.  You are free to download the file and rename it yourself,
> but people have come to expect the name of the file that they download
> to originally be named setup.exe, and every time this topic has come up
> in the past, it has been rejected.

I would like to put it to a vote. If you vote please state why you chose
that position.

@ 2012-09-20 17:40     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-09-20 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 06:26:01PM +0200, Michael Benford wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:58:42 +0200, Eric Blake wrote:
>>On 09/20/2012 09:11 AM, Michael Benford wrote:
>>>I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
>>>selection page when it starts.  And only runs the wizard when a current
>>>installation of the current version is not detected.
>>
>>Indeed - having the ability to skip past the 6 'Next' buttons for a
>>repeated run after cygwin is already installed seems useful; but you
>>still have to make it possible for the user to rerun the intro screens
>>rather than hard-coding it to only start at the package selection page
>>(since the intro screens are necessary for things like choosing a
>>different mirror).  Probably the easiest approach is to add a new
>>command line option that can be used to skip the intro screens, and
>>then users can script things with a batch file or by modifying the
>>Windows shortcut to the actual setup.exe binary to add the option,
>>although that will still require some user intervention rather than
>>happening automatically.
>>
>I would implement a configuration panel that is accessible from the
>package selection page.(i have developed a button table mini
>application for launching other application with hard coded
>command-line arguments using only win32)

I'd rather just start with a command-line option than adding a whole new
screen to setup.exe.

>>>The file name setup.exe is ambiguous if stored in a folder with other
>>>application installation files.  I suggest using the file name
>>>cygpac.exe and application name Cygwin package manager.
>>
>>Won't happen.  You are free to download the file and rename it
>>yourself, but people have come to expect the name of the file that they
>>download to originally be named setup.exe, and every time this topic
>>has come up in the past, it has been rejected.
>>
>I would like to put it to a vote.  If you vote please state why you
>chose that position.

Sorry.  This isn't a democracy.  We're not changing the name.  This has
come up before.  I'm sure you can find past discussions on this issue if
you search.

cgf

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-21  1:38       ` Michael Benford
From: Michael Benford @ 2012-09-21  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:39:50 +0200, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 06:26:01PM +0200, Michael Benford wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed - having the ability to skip past the 6 'Next' buttons for a
>>> repeated run after cygwin is already installed seems useful; but you
>>> still have to make it possible for the user to rerun the intro screens
>>> rather than hard-coding it to only start at the package selection page
>>> (since the intro screens are necessary for things like choosing a
>>> different mirror).  Probably the easiest approach is to add a new
>>> command line option that can be used to skip the intro screens, and
>>> then users can script things with a batch file or by modifying the
>>> Windows shortcut to the actual setup.exe binary to add the option,
>>> although that will still require some user intervention rather than
>>> happening automatically.
>>>
>> I would implement a configuration panel that is accessible from the
>> package selection page.(i have developed a button table mini
>> application for launching other application with hard coded
>> command-line arguments using only win32)
>
> I'd rather just start with a command-line option than adding a whole new
> screen to setup.exe.

I'm basically offering to turn setup.exe into a package manager. setup.exe
would need to auto detect the current state of installation and should
have a command line argument to force a new install.

>>> Won't happen.  You are free to download the file and rename it
>>> yourself, but people have come to expect the name of the file that they
>>> download to originally be named setup.exe, and every time this topic
>>> has come up in the past, it has been rejected.
>>>
>> I would like to put it to a vote.  If you vote please state why you
>> chose that position.
>
> Sorry.  This isn't a democracy.  We're not changing the name.  This has
> come up before.  I'm sure you can find past discussions on this issue if
> you search.
>
> cgf
I will search the mailing lists. If you could also send me a specific
email, mailing list and/or
date to look at it would be appreciated.

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-21  2:04         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-09-21  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 01:21:23AM +0200, Michael Benford wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:39:50 +0200, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> I would implement a configuration panel that is accessible from the
>>> package selection page.(i have developed a button table mini
>>> application for launching other application with hard coded
>>> command-line arguments using only win32)
>>
>> I'd rather just start with a command-line option than adding a whole new
>> screen to setup.exe.
>
>I'm basically offering to turn setup.exe into a package manager. setup.exe
>would need to auto detect the current state of installation and should
>have a command line argument to force a new install.

I don't know what "force a new install" means but setup.exe is already a
package manager.  People aren't clamoring for more screens.  They are really
clamoring for a more command-line-driven capability.

>>Sorry.  This isn't a democracy.  We're not changing the name.  This has
>>come up before.  I'm sure you can find past discussions on this issue
>>if you search.
>
>I will search the mailing lists.  If you could also send me a specific
>email, mailing list and/or date to look at it would be appreciated.

I don't keep this type of information at the tip of my fingers.  Sorry.

cgf

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-21 19:15 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2012-09-21 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 20 September 2012 16:11, Michael Benford wrote:
> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package selection
> page when it starts.

Better have a look at its -M/--package-manager option first.

Andy

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-21 22:45   ` Michael Benford
From: Michael Benford @ 2012-09-21 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:14:50 +0200, Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 20 September 2012 16:11, Michael Benford wrote:
>> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
>> selection
>> page when it starts.
>
> Better have a look at its -M/--package-manager option first.
>
> Andy

It should open in -M mode automatically

* Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name
@ 2012-09-23 19:45   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-09-23 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 08:14:50PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
>On 20 September 2012 16:11, Michael Benford wrote:
>> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package selection
>> page when it starts.
>
>Better have a look at its -M/--package-manager option first.

Oops.  Good point.

cgf