public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Pre-1.7 registry mount points
@ 2013-06-25 11:37 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-25 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Hi,

since 1.7 we don't use the registry for mount points anymore.
Nevertheless, setup.exe, as well as the cygwin package postinstall
script 000-cygwin-post-install.sh still test for the old, pre-1.7
registry mount points and either uses them (setup) or copies them over
to the fstab file (000-cygwin-post-install.sh).

The first official 1.7 release was 2009-12-23, whiich is more than
three years ago.

Does anything speak against ignoring the old registry mount points from
now on?  If not, I'm pretty much set up to nuke the code.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Pre-1.7 registry mount points
@ 2013-06-25 17:09 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-06-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 01:37:02PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>since 1.7 we don't use the registry for mount points anymore.
>Nevertheless, setup.exe, as well as the cygwin package postinstall
>script 000-cygwin-post-install.sh still test for the old, pre-1.7
>registry mount points and either uses them (setup) or copies them over
>to the fstab file (000-cygwin-post-install.sh).
>
>The first official 1.7 release was 2009-12-23, whiich is more than
>three years ago.
>
>Does anything speak against ignoring the old registry mount points from
>now on?  If not, I'm pretty much set up to nuke the code.

I just nuked some old setup configuration code from about that era.
I think you should clean this up too since we no longer support the
legacy release.

cgf

* Re: Pre-1.7 registry mount points
@ 2013-06-26  9:39   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-26  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun 25 13:09, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 01:37:02PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >since 1.7 we don't use the registry for mount points anymore.
> >Nevertheless, setup.exe, as well as the cygwin package postinstall
> >script 000-cygwin-post-install.sh still test for the old, pre-1.7
> >registry mount points and either uses them (setup) or copies them over
> >to the fstab file (000-cygwin-post-install.sh).
> >
> >The first official 1.7 release was 2009-12-23, whiich is more than
> >three years ago.
> >
> >Does anything speak against ignoring the old registry mount points from
> >now on?  If not, I'm pretty much set up to nuke the code.
>
> I just nuked some old setup configuration code from about that era.
> I think you should clean this up too since we no longer support the
> legacy release.

...and there are no reasons to keep the code for other reasons,
apparently, so I removed it from setup and the base-cygwin package.

Corinna

Red Hat