On Oct 17 10:17, Balaji wrote: > Hi - since ping appears to be currently orphaned, I wanted to see if I > can help out. It being a fairly simple package, definitely aided my > decision. > > I downloaded the source for ping (Cygwin32). While I can't seem to get > the provided shell script to run right, I was able to apply the > included patch file and build the 32bit version. I tried building the > 64bit version which did build and run fine on (Cygwin64 1.7.25). There > were a bunch of warnings (even without -Wall) in the 64bit build and I > patched them - mostly minor fixes like casts etc. and re-built/tested > both versions. > > So, finally getting to my question - are the rudimentary ping tests > that I did, good enough to make this package worthy of release? I think so, yes. Just keep in mind that Windows disallows using raw sockets for non-admin users, which means that this ping implementation will neither work for non-admins, nor for admins running a UAC-crippled shell. This shows up as questions on the Cygwin mailing list once in a while, which, as a maintainer, you should be prepared to answer. > This being my first attempt at trying to possibly maintain a Cygwin > package, I want make sure I'm doing the right thing. One odd thing is > that all of the source code and Makefile are in the patch file. Also, > am I free to convert the package to cygport/ditch the shell script > etc. - I understand all that may typically be the maintainer's choice? > Advance thanks for any advice from you seasoned veterans. Porting a package to cygport is highly appreciated, no worries. And of course you are free to pack it in a cleaner fashion than the existing package. Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat