On Nov 8 19:40, Christopher Faylor wrote: > On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 11:04:34AM +1100, Shaddy Baddah wrote: > >On Nov 08 02:23, Christopher Faylor wrote: > >> Thanks again for doing this. > > > >Done. Don't mention it. > > I have to mention it because your type of contribution is so rare in > this project. There are only a handful of people who contribute code so > you're very much appreciated. > > >I'm delighted to give back to the Cygwin community and thank you all > >for what I feel is one of the best, if not the best open source project > >and community. > > > >I'll stick around too and help if there is any issues with the patch. > > Did you see the comments in the list? Are they valid complaints? Maybe I'm dense but I don't quite understand it. Under 32 bit, a tool called "setup-foo" will be recognized as an installer binary. Therefore the "helpful" UAC installer recognition will try to start setup-x86 as an installer with admin permissions, asking for consent (default for admin accounts) or admin credentials (default for non-admin accounts). How was it possible at all to start 32 bit setup as normal user, without getting the elevation prompt? Or, hmm... [do you hear me thinking?] ...does the UAC installer recognition only kick in for an UAC crippled admin account but not for a normal user account? [...testing...] I just started an older setup-x86 on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 using a non-admin user account, and in both cases I have been asked for administrator credentials. Which means, I still don't understand how anybody ran setup from http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe as a normal user account without being asked for admin creds. Unless the admins of these machines have switched off the installer recognition. In that case non-admins could simply start setup-x86 from the net and now they can't anymore. Do we still want to support this? Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat