Hi Barry, On Nov 12 23:29, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote: > Please excuse me if this is the wrong list for this topic. no, it's fine. > Inspired by my experience with that EXCELLENT new package, > cygcheck-dep, I tried cleaning cruft in my installation of cygwin by > uninstalling packages in the _obsolete category. Setup reported > that a number of them were required by other packages, including some > that weren't circularly dependent. > > This suggested to me that perhaps there are packages whose "requires:" > lines need updating. I put together a script to look for that. > [...] > Here's what I found: Thanks for sharing. It would be cool if the maintainers of the below packages could have a look and update their setup.hint files. I fixed some of them on sware, but they shouldn't creep back with the next update, so it would be good to know that the maintainers took notice. > For 64 bit setup.ini: > > "CURRENT"_64bit_PKG OBSOLETE_PKG > libpoco-devel libexpat1-devel > libwmf-devel libexpat1-devel libexpat1-devel has been renamed to libexpat-devel. Fixed on sware. > > For 32 bit setup.ini: > > "CURRENT"_32bit_PKG OBSOLETE_PKG > catdoc tcltk Unnecessary dependency, it seems. It can just go away as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure. Reini? > clang gcc4-core > clang gcc4-g++ > libicu-devel gcc4-core > libicu-devel gcc4-g++ > logiweb gcc4 > octave-devel gcc4-fortran s/4// Fixed on sware. > gnupg minires This is a bit surprising. Minires has been folded into the Cygwin DLL with Cygwin 1.7 so this dependency is wrong, given that the available gnupg packages are from 2012. Fixed on sware, but, Marco, would you mind to have a look why this still depends on minires? > grub-fonts grub > libxerces-c-devel curl-devel > libxerces-c-devel gcc4-g++ > opengl w32api > XFree86-lib-compat xorg-x11-base > xorg-x11-devel xorg-x11-base Obsolete packages depending on obsolete packages. > guile libguile12 Both available guile versions only depend on libguile17. Fixed on sware. > libAfterImage0 libpng12 > libAfterImage-devel libpng12-devel > libfltk1.1 libpng12 > libfltk1.1-gdi libpng12 > libgeotiff libjpeg62 > libgeotiff1 libjpeg62 > libgeotiff1 libproj0 > libgs8 libjpeg62 > libjasper1.701_0 libjpeg62 > libplot2 libpng12 > libplot-devel libpng12-devel > libplotter2 libpng12 > libplotter-devel libpng12-devel > libslang2 libpng14 > libtiff4 libjpeg62 > ploticus libjpeg62 > ploticus libpng12 > qiv libpng14 > sng libpng12 > xemacs libjpeg62 > xemacs libpng12 Older packages, dependencies ok. Updates would be nice. > libautotrace-devel libexpat1-devel > libmetalink-devel libexpat1-devel > libneon-devel libexpat1-devel > libpoco-devel libexpat1-devel > libWINGs-devel libexpat1-devel > libwmf-devel libexpat1-devel > octave-devel libexpat1-devel libexpat1-devel has been renamed to libexpat-devel. Fixed on sware. > libGraphicsMagick3 libpng14 > libImageMagick1 libpng12 > libMagickCore5 libpng14 Marco? I'm fuzzy about the age and order of the libs... > libpng14-devel libpng14 > libungif-devel libungif4 False positives. > libproj-devel libproj0 > proj libproj0 I think these dependencies are deliberate, to cover the older 4.5.0a-2 version. Chuck? Shouldn't they go away in favor of libproj1 only? > singular-surf libjpeg62 The latest singular-surf package is from 2013. It actually depends on the old libjpeg62, but shouldn't. libjpeg8 exists since 2010 or so. Yue? Thanks, Corinna -- Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com Red Hat