public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3
@ 2014-01-14 15:50 Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2014-01-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps, Yaakov S, Warren Young

2014/1/14 Corinna Vinschen:
> I don't know much about sqlite, but your package content puzzles me:
>
>   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/pkgIndex.tcl
>   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/sqlite382.dll
>   usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz

After some experimenting, I'm proposing the following layout:

   usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3    ->  ../tcl8.6/sqlite3 (soft link)
   usr/lib/tcl8.6/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl
   usr/lib/tcl8.6/sqlite3/tclsqlite3.dll
   usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz

This way, both Tcl 8.5 and 8.6 can find the package without
the need to duplicate anything. And the full version
numbers are gone. Is that better?

> Warren and Yaakov, what are you saying as sqlite and tcl maintainers?

I've copied the modified tar.xz files (setup.hint is unmodified)
to my dropbox area:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3-3.8.2-3.tar.xz
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin64/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin64/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3-3.8.2-3.tar.xz

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Regards,
         Jan Nijtmans

* Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3
@ 2014-01-21 14:07 Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2014-01-21 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps

2014/1/21 Corinna Vinschen:
> Please make sure to provide only subpackages
> for which the matching source package is available, too.

Thank you, I didn't know that. My apologies!

Regards,
       Jan Nijtmans

* Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3
@ 2014-01-14 12:56 Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2014-01-14 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps

2014/1/14 Corinna Vinschen:
> That's not what I meant.  What I meant is that Tcl extras are installed
> under /usr/lib/tcl, not directly under /usr/lib.  I have no idea about
> the TEA, but it looks wrong to install Tcl stuff to /usr/lib.  Perl
> stuff is under /usr/lib/perl, python stuff is under /usr/lib/python,
> ruby stuff is under /usr/lib/ruby... you get the idea.

Agreed. Then it's most logical to install in /usr/lib/tcl. I'll do that.

> Also, even if sqlite3.8.2 and sqlite382.dll works, it's kind of
> puzzeling.  Are you saying using sqlite3 and libtclsqlite3.so on Fedora
> is wrong, not following TEA?  It's much easier to grok and doesn't
> wrongly imply it only works on a specificx sqlite 3.x.x version, IMHO.

No, I'm not implying at all that Fedora (or Cygwin) is wrong
at following TEA. TEA is designed to be able to install
multiple versions of Tcl extensions next to each other,
so if there are incompatible changes each Tcl application
can choose which one it wants. Sqlite3 is very careful
keeping upwards compatibility, so I would say
Sqlite doesn't need that. And I don't intend to support
multiple tcl-sqlite3 versions anyway. I have no problem
at all patching the TEA build scripts for that, just
as Fedora did.

Thanks!
        Jan Nijtmans

* Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3
@ 2014-01-14 12:15 Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2014-01-14 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps, Yaakov S, Warren Young

2014/1/14 Corinna Vinschen:
> I don't know much about sqlite, but your package content puzzles me:
>
>   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/pkgIndex.tcl
>   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/sqlite382.dll
>   usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz
>
> This looks only vaguely related to tcl.  I see that the existing
> tcl-sqlite3-3.7.15.2-1.tar.bz2 in the 64 bit distro looks similar,
> but it's bound against sqlite-3.7.15.2, so it probably won't work
> with recent sqlite versions anyway.

Well, I tested it, and the tcl-sqlite-3.7.15.2 package works
fine together with the sqlite-3.8.2 package: All sqlite3
package are binary upwards compatible.

> I really don't quite grok the directory layout and the naming.

Without patching, the TEA (Tcl Extension Architecture) is
followed, of course I can patch it to whatever structure
is required for Cygwin. Thanks!

> I took a look into the Fedora package, which is called "sqlite-tcl".
> It provides
>
>   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3
>   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/libtclsqlite3.so
>   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl
>
> That makes more sense to me:

My tcl-sqlite3 build works with both Tcl 8.5 and 8.6 without
re-compilation. Of course I could install copies in both
/usr/lib/tcl8.5 and /usr/lib/tcl8.6, if that is desired, but
both copies would just be identical.

Regards,
         Jan Nijtmans

* [ITA] tcl-sqlite3
@ 2014-01-13 10:57 Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2014-01-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygapps

Cygwin64 has an exisiting "tcl-sqlite3" package
(version 3.7.15.2-1) which doesn't exist in
Cygwin32. This package is not in cygwin-pkg-maint,
so I assume someone (other than Warren Young)
uploaded it as part of the Cygwin64 bootstrap process.
This package was very useful to me: The source code
of the bindings is already included in the sqlite3 source
package, all that needed to be added is a few lines
to actually build it. I think it is useful to more people
than only me: It is part of the "batteries included"
Tcl 8.6 package, but it works fine with Tcl 8.5
as well without re-compilation (I tested it with both!)

I'm thus offering to take over the following package:
- tcl-sqlite3

Following http://cygwin.com/setup.html, I've copied the
assorted setup.hint files below and uploaded the packages
to my dropbox area:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3-3.8.2-3.tar.xz
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin64/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin64/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3-3.8.2-3.tar.xz

I'm not sure if a GTG is needed from another package maintainer,
otherwise Warren Young would be the most logical choice. Anyway,
whatever feedback from Warren (or anyone else) is appreciated!

Jan Nijtmans

tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
category: Database Tcl
requires: libsqlite3_0 tcl
sdesc: "Tcl bindings for SQLite"
ldesc: "SQLite is a C library that implements an embeddable SQL database
engine.  Programs that link with the SQLite library can have SQL
database access without running a separate RDBMS process. The
distribution comes with a standalone command-line access program
(sqlite3) that can be used to administer an SQLite database and which
serves as an example of how to use the SQLite library."
external-source: sqlite3
prev: 3.7.15.2-1
curr: 3.8.2-3